The DL 44 Legacy Builds

JaxAndTheMoon

Sr Member
Hey guys!

As you guys can probably tell, just starting another small thread that will showcase my builds over the coming time frame.

***The following paragraph may contain minor spoilers, but nothing too extreme and it is also vary vague, but none the less, WARNING: Please skip to the next section***

You can probably tell that I use the title "Legacy" in my build threads, and I thought that before we get into the process, that I would share why I choose this! I always felt that with the all of the characters in Star Wars, there always seems to be something consistent with the lineage of characters, and it almost seems to focus on them as a whole. We have the Skywalker Legacy, which in turn is what the whole saga is based off of, and now with the new movies we have a small legacy that's coming to fruition on the Solo side of the family as well. So with that, I track the props that follows these families, because the weapons that the characters carry become just as much a legacy as the characters themselves: With the Skywalker family is the Graflex, so the Graflex Legacy thread was born, and now with this, the Solo Legacy is born with my DL 44 blasters. Now, I can't say that I will be as extensive as my Graflex builds, since I don't care too much for the Hoth version or the ROTJ one either, but the original ANH and the Bespin (both Luke and Han) DL 44 have always been my some of my favorite blasters. So now that this has been established, let's continue!

******Skip to here********

I have shown this around the forum before, but only just barely in small frames here and there. It all started with a Denix, and a Weaver scope that was very old and close to the original scope. I'm not too much of a stickler about the scope not being accurate, because it's still an old piece of gear, and I love the way it looks. So I ordered it, and then got in line for the pre order of Todd's Costumes' scope mount.

Soon after, I took my hand files directly to the soft metal of the Denix, and began forming it. I stripped off most of the old finish and hand sanded it down with 400 grit paper.

There you can see it, in the center of my desk, just relaxing among its fellow prop brethren.

I then went ahead and ordered the flash hider kit as well, and then proceeded to cut the barrel off of the Denix.

So I went over some of the smaller areas again with more sanding, and finally my Aluminum Black came in. Now, I wanted it to look old and worn, and the finish that the scope I had was what I was going for. So I got down to it!

Also, don't mind the holes that I drilled in there. I may or may not have slipped up the front one, but I corrected it so it's ok!!

Using some steel wool, I brushed it down to this look. I LOVE it.

So I went ahead and started attaching bits on and then the bull barrel extension and the flash hider. Here you can see it with the scope.

And currently, this is where the project sits!

I need to modify the scope mount itself, since the scope is just a little too big, I'm going to have to grind it down to fit the different dimensions. Hopefully it works. If not, then I guess I'll have to look for something else!

Currently I'm looking into collecting new parts for my DL 44 Bespin version, and also doing some leather work that will become a holster to go with my ROTJ belt. I know, the ROTJ belt is black, but it's my props and I can do what I want!!! A black leather holster, to me, is more appealing :p

Thanks guys! Stay tuned for more to come!

Looking outstanding! I've got a Denix too and don't even know where to begin. Do you have to cut the original barrel all the way off line that? I've got a kit from someone on the IOC to upgrade to aluminum parts when I get the motivation. Subscribing to this one...

Amazing work as usual!

Looks awesome, great job!

Thanks guys! It's a lot more work than I thought to finish one of these

Looking outstanding! I've got a Denix too and don't even know where to begin. Do you have to cut the original barrel all the way off line that? I've got a kit from someone on the IOC to upgrade to aluminum parts when I get the motivation. Subscribing to this one...

I guess it depends on your kit. On mine, I technically didn't have to, but I did :p

That scope would make an awesome greedo killer scope!

I never thought of that, but it definitely would! I won't be going that route, though. It's definitely not one of the more liked blasters for me, so I like to kind of just think that the only real blaster was the Hero version :p

I love what you did with the aluminum black. How did you apply it to the Denix?

I used cotton swabs and let it set in for 2 minutes, then washed it off with cold water and a soft cloth to get all of the residue off, then used a steel wool bit to polish it down and rebuff it a bit. Rinsed and repeated for another pass, and that's how it turned out!

I used cotton swabs and let it set in for 2 minutes, then washed it off with cold water and a soft cloth to get all of the residue off, then used a steel wool bit to polish it down and rebuff it a bit. Rinsed and repeated for another pass, and that's how it turned out!

Thank you! I'm definitely doing that on my next Dl-44. It looks amazing.

How is the Aluminum Black holding up? I heard people had trouble with it rubbing off pretty easily.

Cheers
Steve

How is the Aluminum Black holding up? I heard people had trouble with it rubbing off pretty easily.

Cheers
Steve

If you seal it with some gun oil and/or a coat of wax it'll hold up to handling just fine. Holstering & drawing repeatedly might start knocking it back, but you should be good for most purposes [emoji1417]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers
Steve

It's been a week, but I've made a holster for it and have been drawing and holstering constantly, so far I haven't got abnormal wear on any of the areas that come in contact with the holster. Either way, weathering from actual wear and tear is always nicer than fake weathering :)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back