The Definitive Shang-Chi Thread

Looks great. Are these outdoor shots? Material looks silky but not too shiny. The alpha industries jacket looks way too shiny, because of the nylon. Great fit too. I don't envy having to tackle that ribbed knit collar and cuffs being reversible and contrasting colours.
Yes, these are outdoor in natural (but very cloudy) lighting.

Can't get a proper high def screen-grab but for anyone wondering what shirt Simu wears with the chauffeur outfit both during the hotel scene and up until the bus scene it is just a white all saints button-down. Although it does have the all saints little ram skull logo embroidered on the left side. That being so I do believe its their Huntingdon Shirt in white.

Reference Photo :
tempImageEevODk.jpg

After watching Shang-Chi (again) on Disney+ Day... I would TOTALLY love to cosplay this...

I was surprised at the lack of Shang-Chi costumes at the major retailers at Halloween, especially for kids costumes (of course not screen replica quality), and absolutely none for the adults. The only one I found was a kid's one for my youngest son at Target.... the other retailers... fail.

It is such a wonderful costume... and such a wonderful character.

KoRen.... so awesome that you were a part of this. Props and respect.

Looking at the cosplay versions out there... none, of course have the dragon scales right... the insanity to do these glued individually is... well insane, but awesome. I just wish that there was a version out there that comes closer to achieving dragon scale effect.... one available for purchase with that effect, as I know there would be an interest and many (like myself) don't know how to even begin to do it.

If anyone has any leads of who makes a more accurate screen version of this, I would be interested (as would many in here, I'm sure). :D

Last edited:
After watching Shang-Chi (again) on Disney+ Day... I would TOTALLY love to cosplay this...

I was surprised at the lack of Shang-Chi costumes at the major retailers at Halloween, especially for kids costumes (of course not screen replica quality), and absolutely none for the adults. The only one I found was a kid's one for my youngest son at Target.... the other retailers... fail.

It is such a wonderful costume... and such a wonderful character.

KoRen.... so awesome that you were a part of this. Props and respect.

Looking at the cosplay versions out there... none, of course have the dragon scales right... the insanity to do these glued individually is... well insane, but awesome. I just wish that there was a version out there that comes closer to achieving dragon scale effect.... one available for purchase with that effect, as I know there would be an interest and many (like myself) don't know how to even begin to do it.

If anyone has any leads of who makes a more accurate screen version of this, I would be interested (as would many in here, I'm sure). :D
I would start with something like this

from white sheep leather and then maybe puff painting the scales on. It won't have the same dimensional effect as the movie ones, but could work. And would catch the light pretty well. It wouldn't stretch and would be time consuming, but until whitesheepleather comes out with a printed one like their endgame cap etc or RPC studio or one of the other printers this is somewhere to start.

I would start with something like this

from white sheep leather and then maybe puff painting the scales on. It won't have the same dimensional effect as the movie ones, but could work. And would catch the light pretty well. It wouldn't stretch and would be time consuming, but until whitesheepleather comes out with a printed one like their endgame cap etc or RPC studio or one of the other printers this is somewhere to start.
Wow... Didn't even think of doing the puffy paint method. That might work.

Wish there was a way to get a more uniform "diamond" effect with this... kind of like how it looked like the dragon scales were transparent "sheets" that were cut and glued on top of the jacket. Outside of the puffy paint approach... isn't there to do that? This way they can be cut and applied as needed on a jacket? Kind of like tile work?

Wow... Didn't even think of doing the puffy paint method. That might work.

Wish there was a way to get a more uniform "diamond" effect with this... kind of like how it looked like the dragon scales were transparent "sheets" that were cut and glued on top of the jacket. Outside of the puffy paint approach... isn't there to do that? This way they can be cut and applied as needed on a jacket? Kind of like tile work?
Until someone like the usual vendors for these superhero fabrics steps up and maybe does a screen print version I don't think you ill get a uniform effect. Even then it ill be a relatively "flat" print compared to the movie diamonds.

I don't know how difficult it would be to cast your own. Maybe with a 3d print of a panel of diamonds, then cast a mold and just bang out castings. It would be very time consuming. Maybe there is something similar one could find in arts and crafts areas, used for bedazzling clothes or something.

Personally I think a screen print would be the best approach. Followed by puff paint. They would have the most long term durability compared to individually glued appliances.

I'm still seeing gloms between the scales. The rubber is translucent. revealing the printed fabric below THROUGH the rubber.

Looks at this area in your image, where you can see what I believe is rubber reflecting light between those ornamental rows.

View attachment 1493691

Screenprinting does not allow for this style of definition. You could get a flat pattern or a rounded pattern, or a vaguely puffy pattern, but nothing with this shape and definition. That definition requires casting.

EDIT: Check out these areas as well, you can see a raised t-shape between the scales, showing that there IS a material on top of the fabric in those valleys. AND you can see the edge of the cast piece above, because there would have to be multiple sections to something like this, it couldn't be cast across the entire thing at once since the fabric would need to be flat and pressed into an open mold.

View attachment 1493692
Scanning the thread, I don't see if anyone's mentioned this before, but it looks like the diamonds were 3d printed with thin interlacing, like those 3d printed scale mail armors, so that it appears to flex while still being one "piece" or sheet. Then glued to the lycra(?) fabric underneath. Or, if 3D printing molds is a thing, maybe a detailed negative mold of the diamonds and interlacing was made, then the positive was cast in a semi transparent rubber. Then, as stated before, the fabric was adhered to the back of the positive before it fully cured.

Any ideas on how to light the rings?

Glow sticks is one method I found... works great in the dark or dimly lit areas... but not so much in a lighted area (outside or comic convention). Plus it fades over time.

There is El Wire.... or neopixel strips, potentially.

What is the best way to connect them together... and not have the wires showing in between each ring on the arm? Would they all have to have separate buttons, or can they all be connected to one activation button? Is their a wireless option out there?

Not electronically inclined, so any help would be appreciated.

Also special thanks to the community for all of the reference and discussion for the costume! Definitely wouldn't have finished mine without this thread either!
1654660321928.png

Also special thanks to the community for all of the reference and discussion for the costume! Definitely wouldn't have finished mine without this thread either!
View attachment 1584731

Simu approved. :D Love it. Yours turned out epic. Kudos and so well put together... technically and superbly executed. :)

Been assembling my own Shang-Chi civilian look and was trying to get a little further with IDing the Levi jeans. I rewatched most of the nightclub fight scenes (as there's no top to cover up potential identifiers) and paused anytime it glimpsed the sizing label. All Levi's jeans as noted in the initial post have the red little tag on the back right pocket.

8KDCowN.jpg

But the biggest giveaway was that the tag is black so that eliminates any of the standard khaki color back patch. That removes the 501, 505, 511, 550, all of which have the signature khaki-esque leather patch. That just leaves the 502, 510, 541; which all three of these currently have the black back patch. The jeans needed some flexible fit and enough leeway for a range of martial arts/stunt motion. In that specific scene you can see Simu have pads underneath the thighs in particular. This effectively eliminated the 510 slim fit skinny jeans as it's the skinniest of the bunch.

6T6UQsi.jpg

Purchasing both the 502 and the 541's it was obvious which one ended up allowed for some suedo-martial arts kicks with way more ease. Even more the sizing numbers on one of the tags was much more bolder and in brighter white (the 541) than the other (the 502). In every scene I saw the font and logo on the tag was the least visible, which eliminated the 541's. Unless someone else can get better source material than the 4K Disney+ version on a 90in 4K TV...I think the Levi's 502 Taper Fit Jean's are as conclusive as it can be. That said stylistically or body type wise the 510's or 541's would easily look the part as well.

UPDATE 7/9/22: Upon looking closer at it I was mostly right except for one small detail I didn't catch until watching the fight between Shang-Chi and Death Dealer, the back patch has indented embossing which has no notable white font used. That embossed patch is actually indicative of the Levi's Premium line as opposed to the Regular line (the ones I bought) which are sold at retailers like Target. So my numbers still apply to the Premium Levi's as being the only ones with a black patch. These are actually harder to find nowadays and you may have to utilize clothing resellers or eBay.

WLza0KI.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back