The death of Robocop moulds..

Thank you guys for feedback..

Maybe we should try an exlusive run for RPF to save the moulds. But its not an alternative to pass it on its become to private...

Its like a whife... To start with exiting and fun, after couple of years good and ok.. Then after a while hazel and problems with keeping the shape.

But if you divorce here it then you se here slim and fit with another man :D

LOL!
I can certainly empathize here...last year we destroyed and threw out over 4,000 kgs of molds. The only difference is they were all in perfect condition, but I needed the storage space.
While we were demolishing them, this was me... :cry ...but right after, this was me...:love.

Sometimes, salvaging if even for nostalgic reasons has it's merits..other times it's just not the same, and best to move on.

Tough call here....but don't loose sight of the future just to cling to the past. :thumbsup

David

If you destroy the molds then the casts that are out there will be worth more.

I say destroy them, and start taking orders for the next run, when you get 100 prepaid orders, make new molds.

I can't let go of molds myself. The sad thing is, you look at each one as a major time investment and it kills you to think of it as "gone" if you throw it out. Unfortunately, my molds are huge and space is an incredibly sticky issue at home.

I really don't think the "Robocop-era" is over. Robocop is and will stay a movie icon, I think. Man, how I'd love to have one of these in my living room... but my girlfriend would kill me if I came home with something like that :lol.

But its not an alternative to pass it on its become to private...

I can sympathize but you also might find out that in time the fact that you did pass them on and gave them a new lease on life could be personally rewarding...

I think it would be a travesty to just trash them... There is and always will be a demand for the suit, it might not be high but it will always be there... I personally would love a Robo-suit but it's just not in my budget right now...

If it's not worth your trouble to rework or store the molds, then please consider giving/selling them to someone that will devote the time and money to rework and restore them... I know you said it's not an option, but maybe sit on it for awhile, in time maybe a mutual arrangement could be worked out that benefits both parties and removes (or at least subdues) your apprehension to pass it on... What might not be worth it to you is almost certainly worth it to someone else, as is evidenced in this thread... And it's a shame (IMO) to just let a part of history find it's way to the garbage can when there are people that will invest time and money to prevent that...

On a personal level I know if I was given the access and opportunity to obtain the these molds with rights to cast and re-coup my investment at a later date, I would be more then willing to invest my own money and time in restoring them to prime tip top condition, as I'm sure others will... From where I stand the 'out of pocket' restoration money could be recouped fairly easy with a small low cost run of the restored product, it's mostly an issue of labor and storage really...

So in the end I hope you really reconsider passing them along to another person that will allow them to be reborn and live a new life before you retire them from existence...

But in the end they are yours, and it's ultimately your call...

I can sympathize but you also might find out that in time the fact that you did pass them on and gave them a new lease on life could be personally rewarding...

I think it would be a travesty to just trash them... There is and always will be a demand for the suit, it might not be high but it will always be there... I personally would love a Robo-suit but it's just not in my budget right now...

If it's not worth your trouble to rework or store the molds, then please consider giving/selling them to someone that will devote the time and money to rework and restore them... I know you said it's not an option, but maybe sit on it for awhile, in time maybe a mutual arrangement could be worked out that benefits both parties and removes (or at least subdues) your apprehension to pass it on... What might not be worth it to you is almost certainly worth it to someone else, as is evidenced in this thread... And it's a shame (IMO) to just let a part of history find it's way to the garbage can when there are people that will invest time and money to prevent that...

On a personal level I know if I was given the access and opportunity to obtain the these molds with rights to cast and re-coup my investment at a later date, I would be more then willing to invest my own money and time in restoring them to prime tip top condition, as I'm sure others will... From where I stand the 'out of pocket' restoration money could be recouped fairly easy with a small low cost run of the restored product, it's mostly an issue of labor and storage really...

So in the end I hope you really reconsider passing them along to another person that will allow them to be reborn and live a new life before you retire them from existence...

But in the end they are yours, and it's ultimately your call...

Get the molds to Exoray. He is reputable and his fiberglass and molding work is top notch.

I agree with Exoray's sentiments. It would be a shame to see something like this go, especially when there still is tangible interest. Finding a trustworthy new home for the molds is something I hope the OP would reconsider.

Get the molds to Exoray. He is reputable and his fiberglass and molding work is top notch.

Thanks for the pat on the back :)

A few things, my post wasn't necessary meant as a bid to take over the molds, but it also wasn't totally dismissive of the idea either...

Yes, I personally believe and feel that I have the skill set, tools and resources to tackle a project like this and give it what it deserves with the end goal of giving the suit and molds a new lease on life...

BUT, I'm not anywhere near capable of a full speed ahead, tossing of unlimited funds and labor hours at a potential project of this size, but I do have a storage space that I believe is more desirable then a dumpster ;) Reason for my lack of available devotion is that this last year has really been tough for me on a personal level and I had to scale back on A LOT of my hobby devotion and instead focus on several personal life issues that totally engulfed me... I'm on the path to being able to return and devote large portions of my time to this hobby, but not exactly right this second...

In short, if TMP decides that he is able to pass the molds on to a new home, and wants someone that has the ultimate goal of giving them their just dues by restoring them and giving the suit a lease on a second life, I could or might be the guy I would enjoy the challenge... But, I'm far from the guy that is going to toss a large monetary offer on the table to secure the molds, grab, snatch and whip up a new restored set of molds and start cranking out suits on eBay...

But more so the end goal of my original post was to emphasize my personal desire to see the legacy of these molds continue somehow in some way rather than to just end up in a land fill... Whatever that way might be...

Last edited:
I really hope you can find a way not to destroy these moulds. Even if you don't want to sell them or restore them at this point, somewhere down the road you are going to regret destroying them.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back