"The Day the Earth Stood Still" 08 Robot Pics?

The plot thickens when Klaatu decides we humans are worth saving, a decision which places him at odds with his ET masters.

There was a great little scene shown at comic con with Klaatu in the back of a truck talking to a young boy...looking at him as if he may be beginning to understand humanity.

Made me want to see the whole movie.

Hey,

I found a concept art piece not long ago. Hope it helpes.
gortconcept1.jpg

-Cree

Gawd, I hope not...

That "Gort" looks more like the love child of a Cylon and Pan (half dude half goat guy)... Waaaaay to articulated for a machine that simply needed only to walk and zap things into oblivion...

Last edited:
For the last time...
THIS CONCEPT ART WAS REJECTED!!!

I hope now is clear enough... If not, see again the trailer, thanks:)

Gort looks too much like a cylon. Very disappointing. Now I'm not going to see it. Just kidding Ramiel.:lol

Sweet

Well, I just hope we don´t see an action figure of "Karate Kick Gort" or "Fists of Fury Gort"..... I have seen and treasured that original movie, and though I think that the updating is rather fitting, I am not sure about redesigning Gort. Thank Goodness this design Cree showed was rejected, as Master Ramiel has stated (though I am not sure I understood completely, Master Ramiel. Maybe it´s the size of the lettering, not readable enough from about a mile away :) :) )

You do realize that the black and white movie is based on a book, right? This movie uses that as the source material, not the old movie. People get too hung up on the thought that it's a remake of a movie. It's not. It's someone else's interpretation of the book. You'll quickly realize Hollywood has never had anything original.
Yeah, I realize. I run a Drive-In Movie Theatre. Thanks for setting me straight.
I still stand by my statement. It actually was a short story "Farewell to the Master" by Harry Bates.
http://thenostalgialeague.com/olmag/bates.html

It is listed as a re-make on IMDB numerous times, and in all the Studio press releases as a remake. From 20th Century Fox in January:
"THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL is 20th Century Fox's contemporary reinvention of its 1951 classic. Keanu Reeves portrays Klaatu, an alien whose arrival on our planet triggers a global upheaval. As governments and scientists race to unravel the mystery behind the visitor's appearance, a woman (Jennifer Connelly) and her young stepson get caught up in his mission -- and come to understand the ramifications of his being a self-described "friend to the Earth."
The film will be digitally re-mastered into the unparalleled image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience® with proprietary IMAX DMR® (Digital Re-mastering) technology. "

More:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0970416/faq
In fact in the interview Scott Derrickson never mentions the short story at all, just the original production.
Laffo

P.S. I have a couple of Posters, you guys can have, just pay postage. ONLY A COUPLE. ONE OF EACH DESIGN. These don't have GORT or GNUT on them though, they're the current posters. PM me.

Last edited:
Had no idea it was based on a short story. Just finished reading it online... actually not a bad story at all. Granted, it's very dated now but I liked it.

Not sure it bothers me that folks don't know about the short story. In this case, I kinda feel like the movie was actually better than the short story that inspired it. The short story reminds me sort of the structure of one of the old episodes of the Twilight Zone. Still very cool though. And I'm still trying to figure out how to pronounce "Gnut"... nut, gah-nut, gah-noot? I wish stories would come with pronunciation guides sometimes...

But the movie and the short story really don't have a lot of similarities beyond the basic concepts... big robot, Klaatu, encasing the robot in a block of clear material, etc.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back