The Batman

I never commented on The Batman movie, not once. But that doesn't matter I guess. Sorry for the confusion. I tried to be clear but sometimes, it doesn't matter what you write. Once you get labeled a hater, or " insert your preferred alternative here " , you can't win. Again, never commented on the film. Cheers,

Joe
This is a thread about the movie “The Batman.”

If you do not want to comment about the movie “The Batman,” then why did you click on this thread, and post multiple times?

This is a thread about the movie “The Batman.”

If you do not want to comment about the movie “The Batman,” then why did you click on this thread, and post multiple times?
Free country ?

iq-ripley.gif

Last edited:
Wish I could make you understand this situation. But I'm not sure it can be done. Don't think you're interested in any sort of detente. That's ok. Have a good one.

Edited. Didn't sound the way I intended. Stupid internet, lol.

Last edited:
It's the same reasoning as "I didn't vote!"...yes, you just did by not voting :rolleyes: When a comment becomes an opinion or vice-versa?
Sure, free country...I'm out of here before word slippage will become a problem/ban...:oops::whistle:
And it's "detente" in French;)

It's the same reasoning as "I didn't vote!"...yes, you just did by not voting :rolleyes: When a comment becomes an opinion or vice-versa?
Sure, free country...I'm out of here before word slippage will become a problem/ban...:oops::whistle:
And it's "detente" in French;)
Thanks man, I googled it, and that's what I got ; ) Corrected it . Man , I really stuck my foot in up to the knee, cheers,

Joe

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Last edited:
If someone's opinions or comments are too bothersome there's always the ignore button.
justdontlook.jpg

On topic: Is this supposed to be the same universe that the other DC films are in?

I think they’re in a weird limbo because people responded well to Aquaman and Shazam and The Suicide Squad, but they also have the whole Ezra Miller debacle(s) and Ben Affleck (and maybe Henry Cavill?) being out, and the split reactions to Wonder Woman/WW84.

Is the DCEU even happening still? I'm unclear.
I thought I had read that The Flash film was going to introduce their “alternate” universes, so they can essentially have two different Batmans if need be without it impacting their “Extended Universe.”

Personally I think that’s kind of dumb. If these films work better as standalones with no ties to other films, then just keep doing that.

I thought I had read that The Flash film was going to introduce their “alternate” universes, so they can essentially have two different Batmans if need be without it impacting their “Extended Universe.”

Personally I think that’s kind of dumb. If these films work better as standalones with no ties to other films, then just keep doing that.
They don't want to do that though. The strength of the MCU model is that you have a built-in audience for every single film that you make. Doing standalone movies means that you have to appeal to your audience to get them to pay the ticket price. Without some kind of connectivity, they actually have to care about marketing and I think that's what they're trying to avoid. They just suck at actually making decent movies.

Is the DCEU even happening still? I'm unclear.

I think they’re in a weird limbo because people responded well to Aquaman and Shazam and The Suicide Squad, but they also have the whole Ezra Miller debacle(s) and Ben Affleck (and maybe Henry Cavill?) being out, and the split reactions to Wonder Woman/WW84.

I loved Suicide Squad (the second not the first one), Shazam, and the first Wonder Woman were decent enough.
PeaceMaker series was great as well. DIdn't care for Aquaman, WW 1984, or Justice League

I have not watched any of the Teen Titans or other DC tv series

I really enjoyed The Batman and The Joker movies

The Batman was much better than I expected

However, I am not sure how you tonally/stylistically put them into a shared universe movie

The MCU had it's goofier side like Ant Man or Thor Ragnorok, but they still fit the overall MCU vision they fit into while much of the DC stuff seems to be standalone

I am not sure if Shazam for example could show up in this style of a Batman movie and not take you right out of it

Also, I am not sure you really need to put all these together. I mean Marvel did it, but it also kind of traps them into a formula of sorts. I think I would rather the DC stuff just remain stand alone stories

I loved Suicide Squad (the second not the first one), Shazam, and the first Wonder Woman were decent enough.
PeaceMaker series was great as well. DIdn't care for Aquaman, WW 1984, or Justice League

I have not watched any of the Teen Titans or other DC tv series

I really enjoyed The Batman and The Joker movies

The Batman was much better than I expected

However, I am not sure how you tonally/stylistically put them into a shared universe movie

The MCU had it's goofier side like Ant Man or Thor Ragnorok, but they still fit the overall MCU vision they fit into while much of the DC stuff seems to be standalone

I am not sure if Shazam for example could show up in this style of a Batman movie and not take you right out of it

Also, I am not sure you really need to put all these together. I mean Marvel did it, but it also kind of traps them into a formula of sorts. I think I would rather the DC stuff just remain stand alone stories
They don't want to do that though. The strength of the MCU model is that you have a built-in audience for every single film that you make. Doing standalone movies means that you have to appeal to your audience to get them to pay the ticket price. Without some kind of connectivity, they actually have to care about marketing and I think that's what they're trying to avoid. They just suck at actually making decent movies.

I went back and did a rewatch of all the DCEU films right when the Snyder Cut of Justice League released, and then watched Justice League (having previously watched the truly awful Whedon version). And I have to say that, while it's really, really different from the MCU approach...I enjoyed pretty much all of it for what it was.

Could they have been better? Yeah, absolutely. Much better, actually.

But they were still decent and you could see where there was something better struggling to get out. David Ayer's Suicide Squad was enjoyable but felt like it needed an extra 20-30 minutes to really connect the characters better. I'd love to see his cut of the film to see what he's said he was going for. I dug the badguys more the 2nd time I watched them for the kind of vaguely Lovecraftian horror they posed.

WW84 was...pretty uneven, but damn is Gal Gadot charming in the role. I do wish they'd have let Chris Pine go, however. He was fine in the first film, but it felt shoehorned to bring him back. Shazam was also a lot of fun.

All that said, I actually do think the DCEU works better as standalone films or as a multiverse rather than a single universe. The films are just so stylistically different between them that the easiest way to handle it is to just treat them as separate universes when they don't mesh well. Like, Titans has Bruce Wayne played by Ian Glen (dude from Game of Thrones in unrequited love with Dani). He's solid in the role, but how to you fit him in with Ben Affleck and Robert Pattinson, both of whom were good in their outings (Affleck is BADLY served by the Whedon cut, and plays his role much better in Snyder's cut)? Answer: you don't bother. It's a multiverse. It doesn't need to all fit together in a single continuity.

What Marvel has done is magnificent but I think with their introduction of a multiverse, even they've realized that maintaining a single, sprawling, ongoing continuity is ultimately self-defeating.

WW84 was...pretty uneven, but damn is Gal Gadot charming in the role. I do wish they'd have let Chris Pine go, however. He was fine in the first film, but it felt shoehorned to bring him back. Shazam was also a lot of fun.

All that said, I actually do think the DCEU works better as standalone films or as a multiverse rather than a single universe. The films are just so stylistically different between them that the easiest way to handle it is to just treat them as separate universes when they don't mesh well. Like, Titans has Bruce Wayne played by Ian Glen (dude from Game of Thrones in unrequited love with Dani). He's solid in the role, but how to you fit him in with Ben Affleck and Robert Pattinson, both of whom were good in their outings (Affleck is BADLY served by the Whedon cut, and plays his role much better in Snyder's cut)? Answer: you don't bother. It's a multiverse. It doesn't need to all fit together in a single continuity.

What Marvel has done is magnificent but I think with their introduction of a multiverse, even they've realized that maintaining a single, sprawling, ongoing continuity is ultimately self-defeating.
Agree 100%.

I think you just described WW84 perfectly. For me I enjoyed it most BECAUSE of Gadot’s portrayal, the rest of the film was…okay…but it wasn’t nearly as good as her first outing in the role.

Shazam never ceases to entertain. It’s great.

I think you’re right on DC working better as standalone films. I also think you’re spot on with Marvel as well. With Marvel I’m wondering if they’ve kind of realized that by having everything connected, it means you’ve got to watch everything to know what’s going on, and that can ultimately burn an audience out. Like I personally haven’t watched the two latest D+ shows…Moon Knight and Hawkeye…simply because I felt like I kind of needed a break from the content. I also haven’t seen this new Doctor Strange, but from what I’ve heard if you haven’t watched WandaVision it’s going to be fairly confusing.

Stand-alone films allow me to go “The Superman character doesn’t really interest me, so I can skip this film” and not get somehow left behind in the grand scheme of things.

I really, really enjoyed The Batman. I had some gripes with it, the main one being that it was just too long, but by and large I thought it was handled with real craft and sincere respect for the character. The opening sequence is easily one of my favorite in any Batman film for setting the tone and honestly making Batman a genuinely frightening vigilante to be reckoned with. That sense of dread that criminals felt just peering into the shadows was like comicbook gold come to life! Batman is really his own genre within the DC universe so I don't put much thought into things like Justic League because by design (aka having no superpowers) he's his own type of superhero.

I'm much more open with comic book movies in a lot of respects because there are such a diverse number of interpretations over the course of decades in the comics themselves, so it's easy for me to accept a new take on an old classic. I loved the Tim Burton films as a kid and I still do, though I do have a different perspective on them now as an adult. I pretty much ignore the Schumacher films, and I adore the entire Dark Knight trilogy. I have my issues with each of these movies but those tend to be nitpicks by and large because I feel they honor the source material and each bring something fresh to the story telling. I can go either way with comic book movies too when it comes to tone. I enjoy the fantasy elements of comics and I also enjoy the more realistic/ gritty takes.

As for expressing an opinion in fan discussions, I don't feel it's necessary or even reasonable to have everyone qualify every single post or statement with the phrase "in my opinion" or "this is just me, but.." or "all art is subjective" or other similar phrases. We're all adults here and it should go without saying that an opinion is still just that, an opinion. No matter where you stand on a topic. So if someone says that xyz movie sucks, that statement is not a fact, and everyone knows it. Though I do have to say that if your enjoyment of a movie is dampened by someone's negative opinion, I have to wonder if you truly enjoy the movie or if that idea gets under your skin because it has some merit. Likewise if you get bent out of shape that someone enjoys something you don't then that's on you.

I also thought it was pretty good, but it dragged in some places. I liked the car, but it's not the Batmobile. It was like watching the Daniel Craig Bond movies where his cars did nothing. No gadgets or anything. It was a cool design, but not the Batmobile. I did like the 63 Vette he drove as Bruce Wayne though. They also need to ditch that idiotic mask Catwoman has and give her something better!

I still think the Christian Bale movies were the best Batman movies. I have to say that I'm a casual fan, not a comic fan, so take my opinion in that light.

I also thought it was pretty good, but it dragged in some places. I liked the car, but it's not the Batmobile. It was like watching the Daniel Craig Bond movies where his cars did nothing. No gadgets or anything. It was a cool design, but not the Batmobile. I did like the 63 Vette he drove as Bruce Wayne though. They also need to ditch that idiotic mask Catwoman has and give her something better!

I still think the Christian Bale movies were the best Batman movies. I have to say that I'm a casual fan, not a comic fan, so take my opinion in that light.
I’d forgotten about the Vette, but you’re right…what a cool car for him to have.

I think we’ve gotten used to our rich Bruce driving super cars, so that was a good choice of an alternative.

I just saw this yet again last night, still held up well but I agree it could potentially be cut down by a few minutes. I keep going back and forth between which is better, The Batman or The Dark Knight. Ledger was perfect as the Joker and really made the film amazing. That role is the best villain in any Batman film by far.

What's always bothered me about The Dark Knight and the other Nolan films was Bale. As Bruce Wayne he was great but the moment he spoke as Batman I could not stop laughing. It was super distracting and took me out of the story. Pattinson did really well in this as Batman and Bruce Wayne. So which is more important, a better hero or a better villain? Thats a tough call.

Kevin Conroy's voice will always be Batman though, no one has done it better.
I never loved CNs Batman like I did TBs.. The voice they chose for C Bale was the most outlandish cartoon voice to date and I never warmed to his Bruce.. I think I just can't see past his American Psycho roll which was Ace by the way.
Heath just ate that role in TDN the scene when he blew up the hospital was fantastic as was his licky dog out the window scenes in Gotham.. Imagine all the Gifs and memes which would never have happened if another actor had bombed as Joker!
I loved R Pats Batman having a love of sleuth type movies I enjoyed the space it was given and hey not all Detective stories get to solve their cases and I think in most Bat stories you never get a sense of closure.. Or the villain is finished, more a they slope off back to their lair or get detained.
The most realistic and plausible apart from a few scenes of super human strength..
It's one of those movies I can see myself catching at any point and watch it through.

Looking forward to how he evolves as this is The Bat year 2 so he's still chomping at the bit.
I don't mind the core characters being re used especially in the way they have so far...
It reminds me of when an artist made those lifelike sculptures of Beavis, and Butthead.. Creepy but hyper realistic.

I will say though Burgess Meridith will always be my Penguin...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back