The Babadook book

phyrebrat

Hi all,

Just rejoined after a v long 20 year hiatus (nb, I'm not very good at modeling etc, and tend to lurk) and wondered if I could be of assistance re the above.

Back in 2014 when I saw The Babadook movie I left the cinema desperate for a prop of the book. Luckily Jennifer Kent (the director) had received so many enquiries, she ran a kickstarter and after 2 years I got my book.

Although I'm here predominantly to learn about how to mould my own CE3K UFOs (not mothership) it occured to me that some people may be after photos or dimensions/details of the book. The one I have was created by the artist and the director wrote some extra pages (the film ones are much shorter).

I'm happy to take pics and post here if it would be of help. I'd like to be able to contribute in some way; as I said I'm not really a gifted prop builder but this is something I could offer the community. Let me know how best to take the pics you need if you're interested. Here're a few just to give you a rough idea.

Chris
IMG_4155.jpgIMG_4156.PNGIMG_4157.PNG

What number did you get? It's a great piece for the collection.

I think there's a nice big thread on here of when it went up for pre-order. Wild ride.

I was lucky enough to buy 4 of the first signed run before the film got an international release, signed by Jennifer Kent, but damn, it was a long wait, 2 years if I remember correctly. When it finally got internationally released, all the limited run was long time sold out, and the backlash online from new international viewers against people that bought multiples was wild.... like vehemently wild. The Ebay prices were wild... like 500 dollars. There was so much outrage, a second run was made.

People don't realise, some of the Aussie horrors get released in Australia and on DVD, then stopped due to how popular it is, then delayed to sell for international distribution for theatrical release.

I remember being in Australia, having seen "The Loved Ones" become a huge horror success... and then the same thing happening. 2010, it had already been released on DVD, but got an International release, and advertised on the sides of buses. Babadook and Loved Ones, was already released and on DVD for like 12 months before International releases.

I saw the film on the first day of its UK release in 2014 and you're right, a two year wait till this book was ready. But I didn't mind at all because Jennifer Kent was sending frequent updates and the care that went into this was phenomenal. In addition, the inclusion of pages not in the movie (but referring to the story's arc) was an absolute unexpected gift.

My copy says 994/2000 on the black box it came in. I very rarely take it out

Link to the OG thread.

The day they started arriving, people panicking, I don't see no number... I don't see no signature.. and it was nicely hidden on the back page with a fold out.

Unfortunately, I sold all mine, and even to this day, I regret it.

Oh yes, the handwritten back page was a great surprise. Mine says 'this is a first edition...' etc but it does say 994 of 2000 I ordered two; one for me and one for my sis as we were both huge fans of the film. I still am, and I ordered a Kindle cover made to look like the front (although the printers messed up the alignment... forty-three quid for that!).

ETA: Can't believe you sold yours without keeping one for yourself.

Oh yes, the handwritten back page was a great surprise. Mine says 'this is a first edition...' etc but it does say 994 of 2000 I ordered two; one for me and one for my sis as we were both huge fans of the film. I still am, and I ordered a Kindle cover made to look like the front (although the printers messed up the alignment... forty-three quid for that!).

ETA: Can't believe you sold yours without keeping one for yourself.

Every now and then, we're all capable of doing stupid stuff!! In the past, I've ordered multiples of some rare things, and gifted them away, thinking it would be a great unique present etc. Needless to say, as time goes on, I'd rather not have ordered multiples, and instead them going to people that would cherish them. Live and learn - don't be greedy etc.

Edit: Was re-reading the old thread - act as a reminder. So, the film got a release, but only in France, after Oz, was popular, and then it all changed. At the time, the French DVD was on some torrent sites - for like 12 months before the International release. I can't believe that was 2014. Where does time go.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back