The Attakus Probe Droid ... let him float !

el loco

While other folks here building up their fantastic SS Probe Droids i've tried my luck on this ugly little fellow, the Attakus Prode Droid.
It's a sculpted model made out of polystone. For a sculpted model, from a manufacturer that normally only make polystone figures it is a nice, very detailed model which shows a "hybrid" between the lifesize prop and the ILM Studio Scale model.

Things i wanted to change to make it more look like the ILM studio model:

- cut the three legs from the base and mount it on a pole
- cut the legs itself and put them in another position
- build a new cannon (the org. part had a wrong shape)
- add some of the missing details
- rebuild some of the lenses/"eyes"
- rebuild the whole area at the top of the head
- make a compl. new paintjob

here we go

sdc10271d.jpg

... separate the legs from the base and cut the leg-parts

sdc10279s.jpg

... mill-cut the top area of the head. Damn, that polystone is hard, heavy and toxic :sick

sdc10304z.jpg

... rebuild the area

1013687.jpg

... the new cannon

1013688r.jpg

... the re-sculpted legs

1013690.jpg

... the well known painting horror with the probot :wacko
i take the pics in the star wars chronicles for reference.
here the base tone with the first light filter

sdc10026g.jpg

... some comparsion pics

sdc10272b.jpg

sdc10274j.jpg

sdc10086n.jpg

... and finished :cool

sdc10057.jpg

thanks
Andre

Looks great conversion. I think you went little more grey than brown with the painting but it may be the pictures

Thanks !
you're right, i've take the "grey-way" but i have also use a rusty-brown wash in some areas, you can't see it in the pics.
i've taken the SW chronicles and that Edlund shot for reference and i'm very happy with the result.

Andre

You should be - this is a marked improvement, and outside of about 30 people worldwide that "know the model", everyone would say it was dead-nuts accurate! Looks really great!!

Thats a marked improvement for sure Andre, looks really nice, and your paint choice also works, its fun to cut into these kind of things, and make them better.

lee

This looks great! You are really good with modifications.
I recently discovered that my Attakus Probe Droid had one of the arms broken off.. and whoever did it, hid it or threw it away (probably to hide the evidence and avoid my fury!)...
Do you have any ideas on how I can go about replacing it? Should I try to carve something out of a different material or try to have someone cast a custom replacement? Or do you know of any kits that might have a similar piece?

Thank you for any suggestions!

Hey Chadnyc,
oh, the broken arm is get lost ?!
The Attakus Probot is a sculpted model, there are no kitparts.
So you have to sculpt a new arm, maybe use some evergreen or plastruct profiles.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back