The Amazing Spider-Man 2

The following comment from youtube regarding that news, posted for a video by ClevverMovies sums it up better regarding the joke.

"It's pretty obvious that it was a joke. Andrew mentioned 'MJ's fans', which clearly suggests that he made this joke in defense to Shailene Woodley, who's been going through a lot of hate, such as complains about her looks and how she wasn't a 'right' choice for MJ.

Haha. Well, if they quit screwing **** up, maybe they wouldnt come off as whiny and offensive. Its not that hard really when the stuff is laid out considering thats the reason they are fanboys in the first place...
I don't use this word very often, but you have LITERALLY no idea how hard it is to make a movie, let alone a good movie, let alone a good movie adaptation, let alone a good movie adaptation that pleases fans of the original property.

To say "it's not that hard really when stuff is laid out" is not only insulting to the people who bust their ***es working for years on a project that doesn't measure up to expectations in the end, it's even insulting to people who actually made successful, good adaptations. You're saying that the people who pulled it off didn't work hard either, when they put in TREMENDOUS work to achieve what they did. "The Godfather" is a book adaptation where "stuff was laid out." You are saying it's "not that hard" to make a movie like that? You think Coppola didn't work hard?
Heck, every one of Stanley Kubrick's films was an adaptation of another pre-existing story or property that had "stuff laid out" for him. Does that mean it's "not that hard" to achieve what he did? When every filmmaker after him has been chasing what he was able to accomplish? The man's work ethic and dedication to detail are the stuff of cultural legend.
"it's not that hard really."
The things you interact with are made by real people who have struggled just as hard as you and worked tirelessly to achieve any measure of success they have. This is why people hate "whiny" fanboy attitudes. Because it comes off like you think you are better simply because you consume things. Everybody consumes things. Far fewer create. Fewer still create things that are decent. Very very few create things that are good. Those who can make things that are great and enrich the lives of others did not have it easy doing what they do.

Last edited:
Well said Lunaman :thumbsup.

And no matter how great and faithful of a movie adaptation someone manages to create, fans (including myself at times) will ALWAYS find something to whine about and that's true across all other platforms of media consumption.

I don't use this word very often, but you have LITERALLY no idea how hard it is to make a movie, let alone a good movie, let alone a good movie adaptation, let alone a good movie adaptation that pleases fans of the original property.

Very very few create things that are good. Those who can make things that are great and enrich the lives of others did not have it easy doing what they do.

Agreed. And just because the source material isn't followed verbatim doesn't mean a movie is pissing on the legacy of the original. ASM took quite a few liberties with the storyline (as far as I know) and, for the most part, it worked.

I believe some storylines would be laughably bad if played out on screen exactly the same way they happen in comics.

Well said Lunaman :thumbsup.

And no matter how great and faithful of a movie adaptation someone manages to create, fans (including myself at times) will ALWAYS find something to whine about and that's true across all other platforms of media consumption.
Thanks, and ain't that the truth. :lol I've been guilty of it as often as anybody.
Just got to remind myself every time that asking someone to live up to my own personal imagination and take on the material is an impossible task and unfair to them, as well as unfair to me, because it'll rob me of enjoying what's actually there.
Not to say, of course, that we shouldn't be critical at all, if there are legitimate problems with the story and themes and characters in the end, but we shouldn't denigrate people's dedication and hard work by stating that it should be an easy and simple task to accomplish giving us what we want.

Agreed. And just because the source material isn't followed verbatim doesn't mean a movie is pissing on the legacy of the original. ASM took quite a few liberties with the storyline (as far as I know) and, for the most part, it worked.

I believe some storylines would be laughably bad if played out on screen exactly the same way they happen in comics.
The clone saga springs to mind. Good lord.

Last edited:

To say "it's not that hard really when stuff is laid out" is not only insulting to the people who bust their ***es working for years on a project that doesn't measure up to expectations in the end, it's even insulting to people who actually made successful, good adaptations. You're saying that the people who pulled it off didn't work hard either, when they put in TREMENDOUS work to achieve what they did. "The Godfather" is a book adaptation where "stuff was laid out." You are saying it's "not that hard" to make a movie like that? You think Coppola didn't work hard?
Heck, every one of Stanley Kubrick's films was an adaptation of another pre-existing story or property that had "stuff laid out" for him. Does that mean it's "not that hard" to achieve what he did? When every filmmaker after him has been chasing what he was able to accomplish? The man's work ethic and dedication to detail are the stuff of cultural legend.
"it's not that hard really."
The things you interact with are made by real people who have struggled just as hard as you and worked tirelessly to achieve any measure of success they have. This is why people hate "whiny" fanboy attitudes. Because it comes off like you think you are better simply because you consume things. Everybody consumes things. Far fewer create. Fewer still create things that are decent. Very very few create things that are good. Those who can make things that are great and enrich the lives of others did not have it easy doing what they do.

Wow. First of all I just thought were having a friendly discussion, and this is a forum that I thought people felt welcomed to, but I apparently struck a chord with you. I dont know what you have done, so how the HELL do you have an idea of what I have done based on a few lines of what I said? I never said making movie isnt hard, I said making a good movie isnt that hard, considering the source material. The film makers on ASM 2, aside from the production, didnt create anything. The universe, the characters, the canon. Nothing. Thats why its an adapted screenplay. The thing that irks me and put me on the defence about YOUR post, is that you are berating me personally, acting like you think I dont know anything about movie making as a process, and the sad part is people agreed with you. Im assuming they were fans of that movie, I am not however, so, thats my reasoining behind my statement. When you have a character as deep and prolific as spiderman, no, I dont think its hard to make a good movie. I think they are going about this production all wrong, considering they did an origin story, they are introducing Green Goblin etc. I find it funny how quickly up in arms the 3 of you took, bitching about fan boys, when you are obviously fan boys considering how much of film is an art form maybe? Im not even sure, I find it odd how far you read into my statement. I dont think insulting people, judging, or assuming is the right way to get your point across. I never read the book, but was The Godfather close to the book, or did it stray so far away from the original characters, story, etc. To me, that doesnt really apply because we are talking about a superhero movie with specific characters, I think the Godfather has more creative liberty because its a mobster movie with gangster themes etc. Its funny you mention Kubrick, and Ill get flamed for this because people got snarky with one sentence, but I think Kubrick is one of the most overrated film makers ever. Keep in mind, this is all a matter of opinion, neither what you say, or what I say, our opinions are not fact. Im not even coming to the defense of "whiny fanboys", but when Im passionate about it, and they change the dynamic, story, or the character that makes em great, when you change so much, its not the same character. Would Superman still be Superman if someone writer changed the canon to say he wasnt from Krypton? Give me a break. Like I said, you dont know what I have done so dont pretend like you know me to make a statement like you did. Your last paragraph is a joke, honestly, you read from that one sentence that Im better than someone else because I consume things? The people that "create" things, in the sense of movies, are meant to create entertainment. Thats the sole purpose of a story. Of a movie. Of what we, or so I thought, we were talking about. I never said it was easy "enriching the lives of others", but if you walked away feeling that way from The Amazing Spider Man, directed by Marc Webb, then I explained myself to someone that obviously has things that need to be dealt with that are far more important than discussing **** on an internet forum.

Last edited:
Wow, you are more of a smug S.O.B. than I realized. Congrataulations. You are the hero of the anti whiny fanboy brigade of The RPF. I love how you wrote your whole response after one sentence, but after I write what I write, you only have a four word response.

Wow, you are more of a smug S.O.B. than I realized. Congrataulations. You are the hero of the anti whiny fanboy brigade of The RPF. I love how you wrote your whole response after one sentence, but after I write what I write, you only have a four word response.

I think you need to cool off, man, and not take it so personally. You said something really problematic and I addressed it, and you weren't there to continue the discussion yesterday, so the thread moved on to other things about the movie.
Then you wrote out this stream of consciousness ramble of outrage and defensiveness where you barely address my points at all and fall back on the "opinions, man" platform.
My post was about why saying "it's not hard to make a good movie if all you're doing is adapting a story" is an uncouth thing to say, and you responded by explicitly saying
I said making a good movie isnt that hard, considering the source material
When you have a character as deep and prolific as spiderman, no, I dont think its hard to make a good movie.
I never read the book, but was The Godfather close to the book, or did it stray so far away from the original characters, story, etc. To me, that doesnt really apply because we are talking about a superhero movie with specific characters,
If you don't understand what I'm referencing, why attack my argument? As if there aren't specific characters in a mob movie, just as much as in a comic book movie? What?

If you don't understand why Kubrick was a special and influential filmmaker, on what level are you expecting me to address your concerns here? You have demonstrated that you don't have an argument, that you're personally offended, that you aren't versed in the creative process of filmmaking or its difficulties. You're just mad. Ok. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings.
"The film makers on ASM 2, aside from the production, didnt create anything. The universe, the characters, the canon. Nothing. Thats why its an adapted screenplay."

What is there to talk about here? You shown that you don't understand where I'm coming from, which was the first sentence I wrote in response to you. It's nothing personal man, I just told you not to throw shade at people who are making films by saying what they do isn't hard.
This is not about you, dude. I want to hear news about production and see shots of the props and costumes in this movie. Don't you?

Last edited:
I wasn't really attacking anyone. Although pulling from the source material hardly means the movie will be easy to adapt. Like the Smurfs :D

I honestly found nothing wrong with the first Amazing Spider-Man.

I honestly found nothing wrong with the first Amazing Spider-Man.
Heck, I found plenty wrong with it. But that doesn't mean I hated the movie and it certainly doesn't mean I think the filmmakers weren't working extremely hard at a tough task and trying to make a great film.
I feel like this next one is going to be even better.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back