The All-New X-Wing Thread

Hmmm... that's OK. I've spent too much already. I'm going to just use the Jumbo when the time comes. I'll scratch the box myself...

Oh, and for your kit list, the Revell Phantom F-4J has the small afterburner cans, used for Red 2, while the F-4E, or "Phantom II" has the tall cans used on the others.

Those uprights that support the guns have quite a curve at their bases. They look a bit like part of an aircraft carrier's hull side openings, or did we already dismiss that idea back in the dawn of time?

Tip for Red 5 builders

Hey gang, check out Red 5's inner wing engines. Did everyone already know but me? :lol

Re: Tip for Red 5 builders

No, in that it uses a different part altogether. They're the phantom engine assemblies as seen on the x-wing exhausts instead of the part seen there on all the other birds.

No, in that it uses a different part altogether. They're the phantom engine assemblies as seen on the x-wing exhausts instead of the part seen there on all the other birds.

Indeed, i's the rear part of the Phantom engine, instead of the front. Checking my saved threads on my other machine, I realized at least a couple of people have spotted this, e.g. Matt Meyer. On Matt's build the parts look like they're cast in the same resin as the rest of the kit, but the piping is improved - actual piping instead of the flat ridges you get on the actual engines. Does Mike S provide this part if you ask for a Red 5 kit?

Last edited:

I do, if you get a red 5 or red 3 it comes with those phantom parts, any other comes with the other half of the phantom engine, that is why i cast those parts seperate from the wings now...even the v2 had different engines for the different red #'s but they were still cast into the engines, i just had different molds.
mike

Indeed, i's the rear part of the Phantom engine, instead of the front. Checking my saved threads on my other machine, I realized at least a couple of people have spotted this, e.g. Matt Meyer. On Matt's build the parts look like they're cast in the same resin as the rest of the kit, but the piping is improved - actual piping instead of the flat ridges you get on the actual engines. Does Mike S provide this part if you ask for a Red 5 kit?

I do, if you get a red 5 or red 3 it comes with those phantom parts, any other comes with the other half of the phantom engine, that is why i cast those parts seperate from the wings now...even the v2 had different engines for the different red #'s but they were still cast into the engines, i just had different molds.
mike

You're a legend. :D I was wondering if that was the reason.

Cheers,
Martyn

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back