Texturing a monitor surface

eaviii

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Odd question:

Does anyone have any experience texturing an lcd surface to mimic the visual and tactile feel of a painting?

A good example (though this is not what I had in mind as the subject) is the set of living paintings from Harry Potter.

Had considered silicone based clear or very slightly opaque painted on the surface but still didn't think that would look quite right. Maybe a lacquer on a film to cover the screen? I know there are technologiesbto affix lcd to canvas but was hoping to avoid the price tag on that and use an old lcd garage sale piece.

Any thoughts, ideas, or experiences? Will canvas texturing gel or similar product damage the screen?

Doc

Last edited:
Matte Medium?

GetImage.aspx

It's just acrylic paint, dries clear. You could paint on a transparency first to see if you like the texture.

Not sure if I'm wrapping my head around what you're after, but I've shot acrylics through cheescloth for different textures. You could try a tripple clear acrylic through something like this:

10916-linen-technique-cheeseclothapp.jpg

Call me this week if you don't find what you're looking for and we'll try and brainstorm something up.:thumbsup

-Rylo

Since LCDs are essentially clear with a white back light, you could potentially take the monitor apart and put a nice textured paper or canvas between the LCD and the back light panel. That with the Matte Medium might create a convincing texture.

This actually sounds like it would be fun to experiment with. I might go pick up a crap monitor from the thrift store and play around with it.

If you are worried about the screen, or you want to reuse the TV later apply a layer of clear or matte clear vinyl film. Check your local sign or vinyl graphics shop. There are some really funky vinyl patterns out there. You might get lucky and find one that will protect and acheive the effect you are looking for! Good Luck!

BTW the screens at the Harry Potter ride at Universal do look really good. Maybe they have a behind the scenes video somewhere?

I'm pretty sure the ones at universal just use something similar to what ThrowingChicken suggested. Just brush the texture on there to mimic paint strokes from oil paintings and it'll look fine.

I've used tracing paper and frosted shower curtain liners for rear projections.

a quick test with stuff on hand and I'd suggest trying the shower curtain liner over the tracing paper for passing through the image when directly applied against a monitor. it has a texture and the image is quite clear.

It will have to be stretched tight and have the monitor pressed flush against it, but I think it would work.

you could then give texture with the clear acrylic to the shower liner instead of your monitor.

Last edited:
Thank you guys. I may experiment with a mixture of these. Hoping to have this done by the North Texas Prop Party. Hmmm. . . .

Good luck! The cheesecloth will give you a canvas pattern. The more you layer it, the heavier the pattern. One coat at a time through a fresh layer of cloth every time until you get the pattern you're after.

-Rylo

Thank you guys. I may experiment with a mixture of these. Hoping to have this done by the North Texas Prop Party. Hmmm. . . .

I work for a digital/screen printer and we have a variety of laminates that are clear but with a texture to them. Call some local sign shops and ask if they have floor graphic laminate. Its very textured to give a non-slip surface. Might give you the look you want. Plus they are removable with a little effort.

Just a quick followup. I completed the project and will do a build thread for it for those interested few. The project was an animated portrait from the Night Gallery pilot "The Cemetery." I used screen grabs to duplicate all initial phases of the painting from original to new grave to Uncle's corpse banging at the door. I coded a program that gradually transitions them. For the screen, I also handed the above suggestions to my girlfriend with really less than 48 hours to do it. Voila!!!

6900648671_41df1f67ec_b.jpg

It's debut was the North Texas Prop Party at Rebelscums place. Most people had no idea it was a monitor. We used contact paper followed by a coat of clear matte as you guys suggested. I thought it turned out well. The above pic is from Kimnchris' photostream from the pary.

For those interested, I will do a separate thread with more photos and make the software available as freeware through the site. Still need to tweak the software to allow a hotkey or 2 to move things along and a few other tweaks. for those familiar with the show, I have not done the nephew's corpses sequences (not sure I really liked them as much).

Thanks again for the help on this guys.

Doc

This piece was amazing to look at. You could not tell it was a monitor, and the effect was fantastic.

I'm trying to get eaviii to do a weeping angel version....

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back