Terminator Endoskeleton - LFS Kit - WIP

Too Much Garlic

Master Member
Started work on the foot pistons.

Foot-Pistons-01.jpg
 

Too Much Garlic

Master Member
We almost have a complete big toe section. I just need to figure out how to do the egg shaped piece between the toe and 2 pistons as well as the 2 types of connectors.

Probably looks a little more recognizable now. I hope.

Foot-Pistons-02.jpg
 

Too Much Garlic

Master Member
Was surprised to find so much variation between the different toe pieces.

The thinner rod appears to be done in a fashion where the thinnest rod goes inside the slightly bigger tube, creating motion not controlled as a piston. Without this also being able to move, there is very little motion in the up and down motion of the foot, as it attaches to the ankle piece, but with it, you'll be able to bend the foot much further down. The question is whether people even want or need this extra motion and with prints it will be super weak anyway, so if people want the extra motion, they'll probably have to switch the rods and tubes on that piece out with metal parts, so I'm wondering whether I should just merge the two movable sections on each foot into one, so the slight motion is only coming from the egg-shaped piece I haven't made yet and the thicker piston piece.

What are your thoughts?

Foot-Pistons-04.jpg
 
Last edited:

Too Much Garlic

Master Member
I couldn't understand what I was seeing in some of the pictures.

For one thing, the egg-shaped piece is a lot more intricate on the props and screen captures, sporting the cable control groove you also see on the pieces in the cut-out sections on the fingers. I will probably add that to my models.

Another thing. On the real endoskeleton the feet pistons seems to be cheat pistons. They do not work. The fatter detailed part is loose and can move around and is just slid in over a thinner rod that's just closed off at each end by the fork connectors, meaning... they are locked in place in terms of extending and retracting. That's so hilarious and simple. Well... that explains why the fatter parts were all over the place on several reference pictures. Well... I've made them as actual pistons so far, but knowing this... I have the option to simplify things a great deal from 7 individual parts to 4 on each toe.
 

Too Much Garlic

Master Member
This is the cable control groove version I see on some endoskeletons. I haven't found any reference showing the groove being on top - only on the underside of the foot - so that's why I only added it there and not all around the model.

Since the originals weren't functional pistons, I'm going to go simple and merge several of the pieces. I'm all for prop accuracy and I don't want to do the extra work to actually make the piston option work, so it became an easy choice. The egg shaped model does seem to come in two types - basic and cable groove version, so I'm gonna do both.

Foot-Pistons-05.jpg
 

Too Much Garlic

Master Member
After a long while of not feeling well, I did a little work on the first piston, as well as the telescopic part and uploaded them. Labeled them v2. And as I upload these newer ones I'll delete the corresponding old uploads.

I resized the inner hole on piston 01 to accommodate the telescopic rod and that parts inner hole was done at 10mm. I've redone all the pistons with that inner hole measurement and most of the v2 uploads will just be that one change.

I will also upload the variant of piston 01 without the telescopic option that will just fit a standard piston rod, as some endoskeletons do show that feature lacking.

All the metal piston rods that came with the kit are 9.6mm and there are a few different lengths - I'll measure those and post the numbers and amounts of each here.
 

Too Much Garlic

Master Member
Worked a little on one more toe section. I joined the bottom connector part to the main piston on all toes, but the top connector and piston rod are still separate, even though they should be connected to the bottom connector as they are on the original, but I'm still undecided whether I'll join the whole part and just leave the rods at the bottom of the foot to act as true pistons.

EDIT: Probably easier to see it like this:

Foot-Pistons-07.jpg
 
Last edited:

Too Much Garlic

Master Member
One more. Since the parts are fairly similar it is easier to just edit one of the earlier ones than to start from scratch. The top connector on the new one hasn't been tweaked completely, but I'm getting tired and will stop working on it for today.

Foot-Pistons-08.jpg
 

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
Top