T1 and T2 Endoskeleton Research Thread

Forgot to add these to the zip folder. My very few pictures of the T3 and T4 endos:

T3:
T3 - Endoskeleton - 01.jpgT3 - Endoskeleton - 02.jpgT3 - Endoskeleton - 3D reference endo - 01.jpgT3 - Endoskeleton - Stan Winston Studios - 01.jpgT3 - Endoskeleton - Stan Winston Studios - 02.jpgT3 - Endoskeleton - Stan Winston Studios - 03.jpgT3 - Endoskeleton - Upper Torso & Skull - 01.jpgT3 - Endoskeleton - Upper Torso & Skull - 02.jpg

Interesting. Just noticed that the pistons that go from the torso to the pelvis doesn't just have a rod from the main piston piece down to the pelvis, but actually has an extra outer rod on top of the main one that disappears into the piston piece and then shows up when it overextends. It is clearly attached to the rod and not the piston piece as it is seen in uneven lengths in these pictures, yet, the length of thin rod to the thicker rod stays the same. If that makes sense.

T2 - Endoskeleton - Stan Winston Studios - 11-2.jpg

T2 - Endoskeleton - Stan Winston Studios - 04.jpg

Did a quick Google search and learned there's something called "telescopic piston" and also "hydrolic telescopic piston". So that is a thing.

Cool. I'll definitely look into that and see which matches what I'm seeing on the endo.

Watched Jaz's construction video yesterday and saw that he had already spotted that. :)

Another thing. I always wondered what held in the top bowl on the hip to torso piston that allowed it to swivel around in circular directions up in the chest. How can I create an attachment that allows such movement, as a single rod going through it and connecting it to the torso piece would only allow it to move in two directions? But there really isn't room for a ball join contraption. Don't remember if a solution was shown in the Jaz video I watched last night. But I'll try and go through all his videos to glean as much info as possible.

EDIT: I feel this picture show the internal mechanism they created for that part. Can anyone make out what it's supposed to look like to make sense? Is it connected to the piston and not the top bowl part at all?
T1 - Endoskeleton - Stan Winston Studios - Kit - 009.jpg

Last edited:
Working on the eye. Am having a bit of trouble doing the grooves. I created thin rings, cut them up and put them where they should, but they do not connect and I haven't fixed the corners where they going to connect. Wish there was an easier way to make this ring part, so I can boole it out of the main eye model to create the grooves. May take some time to work out.

Eye-01.jpg

I've got my eye on you.

Or something.

Anyway... here's an eye. :)

Eye-02.jpg

I made the lens opening at the top 11mm, with a slightly smaller inner diameter about one and a half millimeter down. It should be easy to make that ledge sit deeper to accommodate the lens.

I almost made the rookie mistake of not saving before royally screwing up yesterday, almost loosing hours worth of work... on that stupid grid model I created solely to create those grooves. The model itself looks interesting in and of its own, but it will never really be used for anything.

Anyway, enjoy and if anyone has any input or can see any issues, please let me know. The LFS eyes are flat above the top groove, so the circle doesn't continue forward until the lens opening. But reference of several endoskeletons shows it should be there. If people want the LFS option it is easy to just sand the front down a bit.

Endoskeleton - IconsofSciFi - EMPmuseum - 01 - 003.jpg

Thingiverse link:

Last edited:
Worked a little on the jaw piston models. I found basis for each version - especially on the main part where the lower top ring is found in several thicknesses, so I tried to emulate that. They may even be as thin as the M1 kit, but I decided not to go that thin with these. I went with half the thickness between the LFS and the M1 for the thinnest one.

Also, there are T1 and T2 variations. The first one shows the T1 style of the lower connector not having as long a shaft as I see in the T2 onwards versions.

There are a few of the models I'm not entirely happy with yet. The model connecting the smaller angled section that goes up towards the nose, I simply cannot yet figure out how to model... as the shapes I'm seeing are angled and curved in all sorts of directions. Such a small piece and such a big headache.

Enjoy - M1 style not included. First one is the completely thin style, middle are some styles I've seen on T2 display pieces, with the third being pure LFS and seen on the Universal Studios T2-3D display endoskeletons:
Jaw-Pistons-03.jpg

So, what found parts do we know made up the jaw pistons?

- Du-Bro 2-56 solder kwik-links - Spring Steel and Solder Kwik-Links
- Du-Bro 4-40 steel threaded rod ends - 4-40 Rod Ends
- 5mm ball bearings
- hinged threaded round stand-off from unknown company - I have only found the ones with smaller top ends with threaded rods, so the rod attaching to it has to be hollow for this piece to screw into.
- rods, either solid or hollow and possibly with threaded ends.

When doing this list and rechecking the reference I found that I had bought the wrong rod ends. I got the 4-40 Steel Solder Rod Ends. Unsure whether they are the same size and shape as the ones listed above.

Also, in some reference photos, the solder kwik-links seems to have some thickness and angles to them that the metal ones do not have. Are we certain they didn't chrome plastic or nylon ones, which are fatter and has those angles I see in some photos? And are we certain they didn't keep it in the same scale as the rest - 4-40?

These are based on RogueSkynet's and other people online's findings. Would love to hear people's input on this.

Last edited:
First piston checked, reworked and uploaded:

Even with the calipers it's a bit difficult to get exact measurements, as the castings aren't perfectly round, so some of it is best guesses and choosing the middle amount between two utmost extreme measurements.

Last edited:
Interesting. Just realized that some endoskeletons use the second piston for one of the rear thigh pieces as well. I couldn't understand what I was seeing in several pieces of reference and was beginning to wonder if I was missing a piston set. But no. Some endoskeletons - not many - have a totally different piston there which is much thinner.

The two fat piston style is seen in both T1 and T2, so I'm kinda wondering where that thin version piston comes from, because it's not just a duplicate of the other slim one, as that is even thinner. Weird.

Two number 2 style pistons on each leg:
T1 - Endoskeleton - Stan Winston Studios - Chromed Animatronic - 011.jpg

T2 - Endoskeleton - 013.png

T2 - Endoskeleton - Stan Winston Studios - 08.jpg

Last edited:
Fourth piston checked, reworked and uploaded:

Last edited:
Found and issue with piston number 4, so re-uploaded the fixed version. Anyone who has downloaded it before this post's time stamps should delete the one you downloaded and go download the new one. Sorry for not catching the issue before uploading.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back