Tarkin / Imperial officer under shirts

Mulbin

Can anyone tell me if there are images of what was worn underneath the olive grey uniforms? Tarkin is clearly wearing a white shirt of some sort but I'd love to find out exactly what sort. 501st just says "white dress shirt" which could mean anything. is the collar straight, button down, band, wing-tip? Are the cuffs buttoned or linked (and what are the buttons/links like?

I'd love to see some clear shots of his cuffs.

Other officers in some shots look like they may either have no shirt, or just a dicky as their arms seem bare under the jacket.

Any info would be great as I'm perfecting my officer kit at the moment!

Peter Cushing is the only one wearing a dress shirt under the jacket. Everyone else was probably just wearing a plain white undershirt or whatever else they were comfy in. Peter's had a standing collar and french cuffs, but that's as far as I know. If there are any BTS pics of him not wearing the jacket, I've never seen any.
Tarkin_DS.jpeg
imp_ofc_shirt.jpg
star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-6713.jpg

Last edited:
Tarkin takes his uniform coat off in the recent ‘Tarkin’ 1-shot comic book and is only wearing his undershirt. I guess that would be in-universe canon.

Tarkin takes his uniform coat off in the recent ‘Tarkin’ 1-shot comic book and is only wearing his undershirt. I guess that would be in-universe canon.
Ish...? The original film is the original film, from which everything else depends and is interpreted (and, too often, misinterpreted). In Empire they changed the rank plates, but I can rationalize that. In Jedi they changed the Stormtrooper officers' uniforms, but I can rationalize that. A lot of things in the Prequels George changed from his original take, either deliberately or obliviously, depending, and I have a harder time rationalizing those. And then when we get other brains involved... Both Dave Filoni and the concept artist who designed Krennic's uniform thought "Wulff Yularen" in the Death Star conference room was a Grand Admiral. They were wrong. But what they did from that erroneous interpretation is canon. So I treat everything in the new ancillary material hesitantly -- all, for me, depends on how closely they get it to the original source/do their homework. If the comic artist depicts him in a nice white dress shirt with standing collar and french cuffs, cool -- that matches the original source. If he depicts Tarkin in anything else, I have no hesitation in saying "wrong" and ignoring it (since the events of that comic take place proximal to when we see him in the film, so he'd likely be wearing the shirt I showed above). Any time significantly pre or post? Go nuts.

That’s interesting, if he’s wearing French cuffs then he must also be wearing cuff links as that’s the only way to fasten a French cuff. Now I want to know what Tarkins cuff links are like! Little Death Stars? ;)

Looks a lot like the shirt and cuff links he wore in Curse of Frankenstein:

I mean, that was a different studio, so I doubt it is. Unless Peter kept it or had one like it and wanted to wear it during filming, like his house slippers (since they couldn't find any boots his size). But the best I can make out by zooming in on that screen grab, above, is the cuff link looks like a pearl.

I have a pair of Imperial insignia cufflinks, myself, but I don't know that I'll ever wear them, as I'm doing an ANH Stormtrooper officer uniform, and they have tapered sleeves to fit in their gauntlet gloves. I don't think french cuffs work with them.

It looks like the cuff links are white with a rim around them in the screen grab. I wouldn’t mind betting they were white dress studs, usually they would be mother of pearl or ivory in a silver or gold rim.

Interesting, I seem to have discovered part of the tarkin costume I hadn’t thought of before! Now if only I knew what colour his braces (suspenders) were!

It appears to be a `collar bind' used in military uniforms. It's usually made of a cotton material and buttons into the inside of the collar to protect the wearers neck from rubbing against the heavy wool mandarin collar.

It appears to be a `collar bind' used in military uniforms. It's usually made of a cotton material and buttons into the inside of the collar to protect the wearers neck from rubbing against the heavy wool mandarin collar.
Given the cuffs and sleeves, it's more likely an actual shirt with standing collar -- more clearly seen in my most recent picture. If any of the other Imperial officers wore collared shirts or binds, they never showed in or above the jacket collar...

You are probably correct Inquisitor. One could still wear a matching collarless shirt under the uniform that would match the collar bind with or without French cuffs. A collared shirt has a tendency to move with the neck while the collar bind is buttoned to the tunic collar which stays in place giving a more uniformed appearance. The one pictured from the 'Curse of Frankenstein', I would think is the style of collar that could be buttoned to a collarless shirt, allowing it to be easily removed, cleaned and heavily starched without making the body of the shirt uncomfortable to wear.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back