Tarfful Wookiee Build (Pic Heavy)

cadilovr

So this my first build thread. I am quite new to this but I wanted to share. With great help from the guys on here and RebelLegion also. So here is my first attempt. Now I do have to say I am almost done with it and I just wanted to share some pictures of my build. This is not a work in progress just a diary post mordem...lol
Now I am a big guy. I am 6'5 and over 400 lbs. Yes please no fat jokes.
I didn't know what I should be, because I see all these cool costume that I would look hilarous in.
So I made Tarfful from Episode 3 Star Wars. He is a tank and I wouldn't look to terrible.

First Pictures are of me trying out my wooden made stilts. Since I figured that regular stilts wouldn't hold me.
IMG_3669.JPGIMG_3668.JPG

So I decided that the wooden stilts just won't work cause I couldn't really move in them. Worth a try but I did get some heavy duty painter stilts from a local pawn shop for $50. Dirt cheap. They gave me a deal cause I told them that I would be just chopping them up and reinforcing them. I had to cut them down cause they were 2 ft long and I didn't need them that big. Drilling out rivets kinda suck and I have a hole in my leg from the drill bit to prove it. I got the feet from Ryan Ricks. He is a great guy and well worth what I got for the money. This is also my girlfriend trying on the stilts. She so awesome. I also attached some plywood below to keep me stable. (It helped out ALOT!)

IMG_4229.JPGIMG_4228.JPGIMG_4227.JPGIMG_4226.JPGIMG_4223.JPGIMG_4060.JPGIMG_4051.JPG

Next up is the undersuit. Now I don't really have great pictures of the undersuit without the hair cause for some odd reason I can't find the picture of it so, sorry about that but here are some pictures of my awesome girlfriend sewing it together. I personally used the mesh fabric from Joann fabrics for my legs and used the collins cottage stuff for my shirt. The good thing about the cottage mesh is that doesn't flex as much as the other stuff. The only bad thing about the mesh from collins is that my latchhook really didn't fit into the hole. So I had to grind down my latchhook so it would fit. It only took a couple minutes. Also with grooming of that cottage mesh it holds a lot better and you have more control with the brush.

View attachment 199853View attachment 199854View attachment 199855View attachment 199856View attachment 199857

So after sewing the mesh suit...hmm....let me rephrase that. After my awesome girlfriend and her awesome sewing machine that sewed my mesh suit. (if she is watching this thread lol) It was time to start latch hooking. Now latch-hooking is not hard buy any means but it is very time consuming. Now remember you have to take small clumps of hair and latch-hook it in little holes for months at a time. I almost gave up a bunch of times but I wanted to be finished before Phoenix Comicon. So here are some pictures of some of my Half latched-hooked self. There are some pictures above but here are some more.

View attachment 199861View attachment 199862View attachment 199863View attachment 199864View attachment 199865View attachment 199866View attachment 199867View attachment 199868View attachment 199869View attachment 199871

Now the white tape I put on the mesh is just my outline of where I need to put in my blonde. The rest is a 6* 4* Kanekalon combo. I went thru about 200 bags. You can get them pretty cheap at Sally's between .99 and 2.99 a bag. Now this is not a very hard costume to make but it was my first time.

- - - Updated - - -

Now that you seen some of the mesh pants with hair on it. Here is some picture of the shirt. I wanted to make sure you couldn't see anything underneath when I raised my arms

.View attachment 199874View attachment 199875View attachment 199876View attachment 199877View attachment 199878

Last edited:
So now lets talk about the face. Now this is where I have to give a shout out to Ryan Ricks for underskull and silicon face. I know crap about sculpting and didn't have the marbles to do it for myself. Here on some pictures of the skull and silicon over. The jaw is articulated and can move with ease.

View attachment 199880View attachment 199881

So after the face was all punched thru. I kinda made a informal debut on May 4 at my comic book store. Here are some pics.

37mp.jpg

qwr5.jpg

vwtd.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Now as you can see. My face was all over the place and I couldn't see pretty much anything. Also I didn't paint my toes and I didn't have my arm latch-hooked. Hense why the same picture angle. LOL.

Now so I was pretty much all done with the body but I needed to go to stylist. Not kidding. She was so afraid that she was gonna mess it up. I told her it was fine and it will grow back...lol

1nz2.jpg

d5a5.jpg

57ah.jpg

And after

mkiy.jpg

So after it was all done and the feet were foam covered and all painted up I was all ready to go with phoenix comic con. Here are some pictures from it. Now the guys from the 501st costuming group were great and I was allowed to used there dressing room. Remember I have no affilation with them. That is how nice these guys are.

h4ql.jpg

u0il.jpg

t9f1.jpg

xm0j.jpg

Me getting ready. I almost for to mention that I got a Akers voice amp attached to a bread board I made up with a chip from replica props.

So here are some pictures from Phoenix Comicon

fxrh.jpg

y0ac.jpg

y0ac.jpg

inpc.jpg

cszb.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

and some more
The guy in the storm trooper is my dad
x6a7.jpg

I love this picture. You can just imagine the scale of it.

klho.jpg

ycu3.jpg

th4h.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

So that was it!! I am still not done. I still have my dreads to put in and my armor. Coming in the future. I have some leather already working. Here are some pictures.
0yqq.jpg

5vqi.jpg

Very cool! We didn't see you at Comicon, bummer, that would have been quite the sight! Great job. Can't wait to see how the armor turns out.

It was a fun con (except for losing to you in the costume contest). :) With the roll out of our new booth set, you being there added to it that much more. I'm glad you had a good time and thank you for the kind words. We try to be agreeable. Well, except for our Sith Lords. They can be kinda cranky. :p I look forward to seeing you back next year. People keep telling me I need to bring the Emperor's Apprentice back next year. I'm like.. "Why bother? If I win, the wookie's just gonna tear my arms out." :)

-Jim

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back