Tarfful & Chewie - Fur Fabric builds

Dougie Fett

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I recently went to National Fiber Technologys website looking for a small piece of chimpanzee fur and discovered their clearance section. Went a bit crazy as I do, and bought enough fur to make Chewie and Tarfful (it was a really good deal)!!!

The furs are not 100% screen accurate but that doesn't worry me too much, they are very close to the real deal.

Tarfful fur colours comparison below!! Have approx 60 SQ Ft of fabric.

Tarffulcolours.jpg

More pics to follow.

First up, duct tape mannequin! Obviously not something you can do yourself, get a friend to help out!

The mannequin was stuffed with duvet foam and taped back up. Polysterene head was added just for show.

NFTSuit1.jpg

NFTSuit2.jpg

NFTSuit3.jpg

NFTSuit4.jpg

A rough pattern cut from cheap polyester fabric, it was cut to fit the mannequin form snugly!

NFTSuit5.jpg

NFTSuit6.jpg

NFTSuit7.jpg

The fur fabric was then cut, very nervously I might add, Robs tutorial was extremely helpful for this! Care was taken to keep offcuts to a bare minimum, have come up with a solution to using up small offcuts, will explain later.

NFTSuit8.jpg

NFTSuit9.jpg

NFTSuit10.jpg

The pattern is pinned together temporarily, ready for stitching. My suit will be in 3 parts - top ,cargo pant style trousers and the calves will be attached to the stilts (removable for cleaning etc).

No trimming or thinning out required, the fabric hangs beautifully and fits my form perfectly.

NFTSuit11.jpg

NFTSuit12.jpg

To be continued..........

Chewie complete, Tarfful still in the works!

NFT loose hair requires a bit more punching work because it's finer than kanekalon but there is no comparison in quality.

Tophalfcomplete.jpg

Facecomplete.jpg

Duct tape mannequin is struggling to support the costume, needs to be reinforced!
Fullcomplete.jpg

Toppinnedlow.jpg

You have totally nailed that Chewie, the NFT fur does help but it really just comes down to your awesome Wookie making abilities!!
The Tarfful build is going to be really interesting, can't wait. :)

Couple of work in progres pics of Tarf!!

These are made from pipe lagging rolled in NFT loose hair, the spray adhesive holds the hair in place (not applied on the outside). I then applied some heat with a heatgun to get the hair to shrink and wrap itself around the lagging.

557007_415856188457562_770818913_n.jpg

Fibreglass casting of the lower tier of the shoulder armour.
Painted with a brown undercost, lightly misted with metallic gold for a bronze effect.....then weathered with brown, black and green acrylic to add the patina.

8070_415856298457551_40919879_n.jpg

Bandolier complete...made from a 7 to 9 oz hide from Tandys, cut down and dyed with Tandys Gel Antique DK brown.

553081_416959251680589_61739893_n.jpg

577175_416959318347249_200487608_n.jpg

320455_416959368347244_621594169_n.jpg

Feet complete!
The same reinforced drum/dowel method that I've always used...14" of lift.
No need to try conceal the foot width this time since Tarfful is built like a tank.

563515_416959185013929_1098852416_n.jpg

Been watching your Tarfull on FB great progress! LOVE that Chewie mask. Did you do it from scratch or did you get the skull elsewhere?

Fantastic work!! I am working with Kankellon and latch hooking. Takes loads of time but much more reasonably priced than the NFT hair. Love the mask.

Fantastic work!! I am working with Kankellon and latch hooking. Takes loads of time but much more reasonably priced than the NFT hair. Love the mask.

Yes, kanekalon is definitely the more affordable labour intensive option. The end result is much the same, very little difference. But the fur makes it far easier.

Looking stunning Dave, the NFT just has the edge on the kanekalon. Even when blending multiple kanekalon hair colours it will never quite match how the NFT hair gradates in colour along the length of the hair.
Killer leather work mate!

Dougie mate, as usual another fantastic wookie build. I don't know how but you always manage to capture the character of the face which is difficult to do with these costumes. And that new type of fur looks fantastic, I take it it's a lot less laborious than the latch hook method?

Welsh

Dougie mate, as usual another fantastic wookie build. I don't know how but you always manage to capture the character of the face which is difficult to do with these costumes. And that new type of fur looks fantastic, I take it it's a lot less laborious than the latch hook method?

Welsh

It sure is...takes a lot less weathering too, it hangs really well.

In the process of reworking some details...longer dreads, darker lip colour.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back