T-TRACK GRIP PROJECT

GINO

Sr Member
I have put together a completed CAD drawing for the profile of the T-track used on sabers and blasters.
I based it on photographs of film used pieces that were visually clear.
IF there were different types of t-track used then so far I have't seen any clear profile views of it, that's why I went with what we DID have.

Is there anyone here who can have this extruded in some plastic?
I have the completed drafting that I can send or email to whoever can make this happen.
Here is a viewer friendly version of the drawing with solid color and without all the dimensions.
Also here are some of the photo references that I used.

[image]http://home.comcast.net/~ryu-kumon/gino/grip_ref.jpg[/image]

This definitely exciting. Great work Gino... I was going to mention a few overlooked details in our T track profiles in the other thread. You have definitely done it right, this is the one.

Gino - that looks good to me too - though the radius on the base looks way to big to me.

You are going to get the grips riding too low - which has always been the problem with the grips we have been using up until now. I am still chiming the same thing - Flat Bottoms ;)

I used to think flat bottoms as well. However if you look in the photos above, you can clearly see there is a curve cut out on the bottom. Also, the curve looks large lookin at the profile by itself but once you put it atop a 1.5" diameter, the gap is very slight just like in the above photos.

Based on those pics, it looks to me like the transition from the T-bar to the flat base is much more gradual on the right side than on the left.

Looks pretty good. I don't see why we needed an entirely new thread but I guess it makes no difference.

Also- I'm not entirely convinced the grip 'fins' were taperd and I agree, at least in your drawings, the radius cut out from the base looks to large.

I tweaked the drawing ever so slightly and added the 1.5" saber body so illustrate the grip situated on the body. You can see the gap but when at 1:1 scale, it is as thin as a fingernail.

I realize I'm gonna get jumped for saying this, but I'd rather have the bottom channel match the mating surface. Perhaps the taper is slightly too much. Seems the ROTJ grips show less of a taper than the Barbican, but it definitely does taper... good eye.

Question is, does the drawing match the photos?
I am going for a non idealized version. I want it to be as close to the real thing as possible.

I totally understand, I think the new tweaked drawing does match the photos. Regardless of channel raidus, I am very excited about this project and will definitely be picking up a few sets (should these be fully realized.)

Originally posted by incrediPAUL@Jul 10 2005, 04:56 PM
...Perhaps the taper is slightly too much. Seems the ROTJ grips show less of a taper than the Barbican, but it definitely does taper... good eye.
[snapback]1030656[/snapback]​

After inspecting the Barbicon grips it does look like a slight taper but only on one side of the grip the other looks either very slightly tapered or straight (going against accuracy I'd like to have them symmetrical). So IMHO either a slight taper or straight would be fine.

Gino- Seeing your grip on the 1.5" circle (saber body) helps to put things into perspective. Looks pretty damn good.

Lets get these suckers made (hopefully in massive quantities so we can get them cheap). Any ideas where we can get these made? I wouldn't mind having them extruded so everyone would have to cut their own lengths but if you ask me I think a lot of people would be much more prone to buying a set of six grips with the correct profile ready to attach to a saber... (With epoxy?)

Originally posted by Dewy@Jul 10 2005, 05:49 PM
Lets get these suckers made (hopefully in massive quantities so we can get them cheap). Any ideas where we can get these made? I wouldn't mind having them extruded so everyone would have to cut their own lengths but if you ask me I think a lot of people would be much more prone to buying a set of six grips with the correct profile ready to attach to a saber... (With epoxy?)
[snapback]1030676[/snapback]​

Now you're talkin'.

I would want it to be in longer lengths so that they could be used for different sabers and blasters as well.
Yep, epoxy.

Originally posted by GINO@Jul 10 2005, 05:54 PM

Now you're talkin'.

I would want it to be in longer lengths so that they could be used for different sabers and blasters as well.
Yep, epoxy.
[snapback]1030677[/snapback]​
'

Ahhh yes. Forgot about the Vader ESB/Blaster Market.... If these were made from a softer plastic (IE not brittle but more flexible) what would be the best way to cut/round/shape the edges? I'm thinking at this point some files and fine grit sandpaper. Maybe a boxcutter for the angle and files/sandpaper for the round?

Rounding the edges is the easy part. Dremel, sandpaper, etc..
I'm thinking that if you apply heat, you wouldn't have much trouble bending the plastic t-track for the blasters. I guess it depends on the resin used in the extruding process. If it is polystyrene, it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Great that we have new pictures.
I don't believe in the taper. I think what we see as taper on only one side could be warping - maybe because the saber has been lying down on that grip. ;)

Another thing that would make it look like a taper, is that I do not think that the inner curves are circular. The curve looks more like an exponential curve to me.
I also think the top of the fin should be slightly flattened.

I would still like the edges of the base to be just a little bit sharper, and maybe it should also be just a little bit thicker - a 10th of a millimeter or so.

I see a taper on both sides. Also, I think it would be highly unlikely that they would have been manufactured unsymmetrical.

Originally posted by Dewy@Jul 10 2005, 06:49 PM
I wouldn't mind having them extruded so everyone would have to cut their own lengths but if you ask me I think a lot of people would be much more prone to buying a set of six grips with the correct profile ready to attach to a saber... (With epoxy?)
[snapback]1030676[/snapback]​

The question is... or may be... do we want a lot of people buying them... or do we want it done right?

;)

KD

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back