Syfy's Dark Matter

Philly

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Stargate SG-1's Joseph Mallozzi and Paul Mullie are behind Syfy's new series, debuting June 12th, based on their Dark Horse comic. The show follows the crew of a derelict spaceship who are awakened from stasis with no memories of who they are or how they got on board.

It looks pretty sweet :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen that girl with the blue/green hair and she was a horrible actress. It sounds like she's reading. I may still try to watch it to see how it is.

I have to agree. While not on the same level as the big franchises, it was pretty good. I mean, you have Model Casting and the aesthetic of the interior of the ship screams Space Horror, but it was definitely better than it should have been.

I have to agree. While not on the same level as the big franchises, it was pretty good. I mean, you have Model Casting and the aesthetic of the interior of the ship screams Space Horror, but it was definitely better than it should have been.

To me, the interior of the ship look like they mashed together the interior of a RIS BSG ship and part of the interior of the Destiny from SGU.

i felt it had a firefly vibe to it at times,number 5 comes across a little River tam and kayleigh mixed together9 the actress was also the princess in sga ep harmony)..i liked it,looking forward to more

Another show canceled by "syfy" mid-cliffhanger, without any resolution or ending. Maybe it's time to stop investing any time in their programming at all.

I'm surprised DM hasn't gotten more recognition here on the RPF. It may not have been the most high profile show, but it was actually a lot more watchable than it had any right to be.

Unfortunately, the show just wasn't performing as well as others in the ratings. In terms of what they're spending money on, the four shows that I would expect to have the highest budgets (due largely to effects expenditures) are Dark Matter, Killjoys, The Magicians, and the Expanse. Dark Matter has just not performed as well or gotten as much buzz as some of the others.

ratings.PNG

Frankly, I'm a little surprised by the huge jump The Magicians saw, and if the numbers don't go up for the Expanse next year, I would expect them to be next on the chopping block, which would REALLY suck, because I absolutely love the books and the show has been fantastic so far.

I've never watched this -- partially because I literally watch no SyFy anymore, but also because there always seemed to be something more interesting on Netflix to watch -- but was thinking about it after a friend recommended it. But cancelled on a cliffhanger? That's a huge "nope!"

I just signed the petition, “Syfy: Renew Dark Matter for Season 4.” I think this is important. Will you sign it too?
Here’s the link:
https://www.change.org/p/syfy-renew-dark-matter-for-season-4?utm_medium=email&utm_source=petition_signer_receipt&utm_campaign=triggered&share_context=signature_receipt&recruiter=775678822

yeah I copied & pasted from the email they sent, sue me LOL
but come on, anyone interested in trying to keep this around?

I definitely signed.

As far as ratings, Dark Matter had the largest audience gains when factoring DVR numbers, according to charts Joseph Mallozzi has posted. Also, its budget should be smaller, because it is not a SyFy original show. Although that does mean they make less money in the long run. We can only hope someone else will pick up the show. Not a lot of great programming in this genre right now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've never watched this -- partially because I literally watch no SyFy anymore, but also because there always seemed to be something more interesting on Netflix to watch -- but was thinking about it after a friend recommended it. But cancelled on a cliffhanger? That's a huge "nope!"

You're in luck then, Dark Matter S1 & 2 are on Netflix now and I'm sure that S3 will make its way over eventually as well.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back