Syfy's Dark Matter

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Philly, May 23, 2015.

1. Philly

Philly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Stargate SG-1's Joseph Mallozzi and Paul Mullie are behind Syfy's new series, debuting June 12th, based on their Dark Horse comic. The show follows the crew of a derelict spaceship who are awakened from stasis with no memories of who they are or how they got on board.

It looks pretty sweet :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  2. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

I have the first issue of the comic. Haven't really read it yet.

3. jarroth

jarroth Well-Known Member

looks interesting to me. cant wait till first episodes

4. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

I've seen that girl with the blue/green hair and she was a horrible actress. It sounds like she's reading. I may still try to watch it to see how it is.

5. Philly

Philly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This aired last night and it was a pretty good episode. There is promise for this show :)

6. The Mad Professor

The Mad Professor Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have to agree. While not on the same level as the big franchises, it was pretty good. I mean, you have Model Casting and the aesthetic of the interior of the ship screams Space Horror, but it was definitely better than it should have been.

7. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

To me, the interior of the ship look like they mashed together the interior of a RIS BSG ship and part of the interior of the Destiny from SGU.

8. The Mad Professor

The Mad Professor Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I thought it was reminiscent of the interior of the Sulaco, myself.

9. madmax

madmax Sr Member

i felt it had a firefly vibe to it at times,number 5 comes across a little River tam and kayleigh mixed together9 the actress was also the princess in sga ep harmony)..i liked it,looking forward to more

10. jarroth

jarroth Well-Known Member

now lets hope they dont blow it with cheesy love stories and silly plotlines

11. JOATRASH FX

JOATRASH FX Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Another show canceled by "syfy" mid-cliffhanger, without any resolution or ending. Maybe it's time to stop investing any time in their programming at all.

I'm surprised DM hasn't gotten more recognition here on the RPF. It may not have been the most high profile show, but it was actually a lot more watchable than it had any right to be.

Riceball and etalonculp like this.
  12. Stansfield

Stansfield Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Dark Matter was an incredible show. Great writing and incredible characters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

etalonculp likes this.
  13. meta jon

meta jon New Member

It was one of my favorites
    Really sad to see it cancelled

14. PunisherWarrior

PunisherWarrior New Member

Definitely a great show. After Killjoys finishes up, I doubt I'll spend any more time on SyFy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Riceball and etalonculp like this.
  15. firesprite

firesprite Master Member

Unfortunately, the show just wasn't performing as well as others in the ratings. In terms of what they're spending money on, the four shows that I would expect to have the highest budgets (due largely to effects expenditures) are Dark Matter, Killjoys, The Magicians, and the Expanse. Dark Matter has just not performed as well or gotten as much buzz as some of the others.

ratings.PNG

Frankly, I'm a little surprised by the huge jump The Magicians saw, and if the numbers don't go up for the Expanse next year, I would expect them to be next on the chopping block, which would REALLY suck, because I absolutely love the books and the show has been fantastic so far.

16. The Terminator

The Terminator Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Some of us already did.

17. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

I've never watched this -- partially because I literally watch no SyFy anymore, but also because there always seemed to be something more interesting on Netflix to watch -- but was thinking about it after a friend recommended it. But cancelled on a cliffhanger? That's a huge "nope!"

18. meta jon

meta jon New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  19. PunisherWarrior

PunisherWarrior New Member

I definitely signed.

As far as ratings, Dark Matter had the largest audience gains when factoring DVR numbers, according to charts Joseph Mallozzi has posted. Also, its budget should be smaller, because it is not a SyFy original show. Although that does mean they make less money in the long run. We can only hope someone else will pick up the show. Not a lot of great programming in this genre right now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  20. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

You're in luck then, Dark Matter S1 & 2 are on Netflix now and I'm sure that S3 will make its way over eventually as well.

21. Wakeem

Wakeem Well-Known Member

I liked the show but I only watched the first season. When a show is really good these days I put it on a list to get on Blu-ray. So I'm probably part of the problem for not watching when it airs. But then I tend to DVR it anyway so I can skip the commercials. So I don't know how that works out for the numbers.

I'm going to read the blog post by the show's creator after I catch up. I saved it off a story on Dark Horizons about the cancellation. I wonder what Syfy will replace the show with? Dark Matter and Killjoys, another good one, seemed to go together.

22. smithjohnj

smithjohnj Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about Dark Matter I enjoyed the show. I was always behind the times as I refuse to pay the expense of SyFy on cable. But a binge on the season blu rays was good even a year or more later. Of course if they worried less about what they called their channel and avoided the expense of rebranding it every few years perhaps it would cost less. I think The Expanse is even better but it is based on some good early books. However if it follows the storyline of the books I believe it will be less enjoyable in the middle arc. I also bought the first two seasons of The Magicians and could not make it through the second season. I guess I am too old to watch snowflakes make stupid decisions and believe it is a plot.

23. JOATRASH FX

JOATRASH FX Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I like The Expanse a lot, but right now there are zero characters in it that I care about. It's very well made (keeping budget in mind) and I really like that they tried to make it "believable scifi", but it's also essentially "Game of Thrones in space" in terms of the overall mood- miserable, cold and unforgiving.

Dark Matter, though riding very heavily on the coat-tails of Firefly, at least had some "lovable nerdiness" to it.

Then there's Killjoys, which I also think is OK, but it generally plays much too smugly about how cool it thinks it is.

Cephus and Riceball like this.
  24. Mxlplx

Mxlplx Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've been binge watching Dark Matter on Netflix. Waiting on season 3 to be released. Too bad it was cancelled.

Riceball likes this.
  25. NormanF

NormanF Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Reading Joseph's blog, it looks like they are trying to get picked up by someone else and that he had originally planned the show to be five seasons. It sounds like they pitched the show to three broadcasters or maybe Netflix like streaming sites and two have already said no.
    https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/

Riceball likes this.
  26. Cephus

Cephus Sr Member

The ratings were not good, why would anyone pick it up?

27. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

In case you all don't already know, as of this past weekend S3 is finally on Netflix.

28. jhazard

jhazard Well-Known Member

Really dig this show. is there a fan campaign to get it back in to production?

29. NormanF

NormanF Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

There was and it failed. Most of the sets have been broken down.

30. cboath

cboath Master Member

Skiffy seems to hurt scifi as much as it helps it.

Riceball likes this.