Switchblades in movies

The Knife in the Eye of The Needle has been discussed over and over and what the switchblade collecting community has determined after contacting many European makers that this knife was a movie fantasy but I do know one maker that tried to reproduce it. It was a valiant effort probably worked very well but it was not to exact specs of the movie version. If I win the lottery I will have it built.

Sorry for not replying yet, Blade. I'm still on the fence with this one. It's not that I don't want it, but I like the hunt enough to maybe see if I can find one a bit cheaper. It really doesn't even need to work in fact. As long as I could prop it up in the open position I would be happy.

-Ss

Here's what I had in my files on "the Needle" I know some are replicas and not all the info is correct but it all fits in with the look of the prop.
Ed

This knife was not in production it was a prop The automatic knife newsletter was a resource for switchblade collectors when there was none but it had many inaccuracies, here say and rumors more than facts If some one could contact Mr. Sutherland and ask him if he really does have the knife in his personal collection and if he does not I would love to know any information he has on the knife or the name of the prop master at the time. The replica was made by one of my forum friends (a knife forum) its more of a tribute then an exact replica just for it massive size. I would love any new information.

I don't know if this counts as a switchblade or not (since it comes out of the front), but Geraldine, used by Mr. Roat, from Wait Until Dark comes to my mind.

geraldine1.jpg

wait3.jpg

This knife was not in production it was a prop The automatic knife newsletter was a resource for switchblade collectors when there was none but it had many inaccuracies, here say and rumors more than facts If some one could contact Mr. Sutherland and ask him if he really does have the knife in his personal collection and if he does not I would love to know any information he has on the knife or the name of the prop master at the time. The replica was made by one of my forum friends (a knife forum) its more of a tribute then an exact replica just for it massive size. I would love any new information.

Exactly...that's why I said " I know some are replicas and not all the info is correct but it all fits in with the look of the prop " It's just an interesting set of collected info.
I don't think, after all these years, that we'll ever find out any info or uncover the real prop ( I Highly doubt they would have allowed Sutherland to keep the prop as it stated )
Kudos to your friend making the replica. He did a great job!!!!

Its a gravity knife but to me if you push a button to release a blade Its pretty! There were a lot of gravity knives used for military purposes mostly paratroopers for safety reasons a lot were cheap and guys would modify these very easily, this was a well thought out well made prop.

An old thread, but perhaps there's still interest around here? I just watched North by Northwest (Alfred Hitchcock 1959) and it appeared the real "Townsend" diplomat guy got a switchblade thrown into his back. Does anyone know which one was used in the film?

0321.jpg

The style has at least a passing resemblance to the switchblade Mutt had in IJ & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull except in black instead of buffalo horn, but you can't really see the blade in that photo (can't snapshot iTunes stream as it just blacks out, but even where the blade is shown it's a distant shot (oddly no blood for him supposedly pulling it out of the man's back).

My replica of Mutt's Switchblade for comparison (Frank Beltrame Stiletto 9" in Buffalo Horn):

Mutts Switchblade Knife Open s.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back