Supernatural Colt found!

It's not 2 grand anyway.

Your converting £ into $. That's not how you do it. A CD in the UK is the UK is £14.99 a CD in the US is $14.99. See the correlation?

The gun, if you could find it in the US, would be closer to $1265.

Sadly, it seems like the guy in the UK is the only person that's got one. There's pretty much no way in hell it'd get through customs, even if they sold it to you (which is unlikely), so I wouldn't even worry about the currency conversion that would spawn from that.

XE.com has the current rate as 1 GBP = 1.59187 USD. It works out to a little over two grand at the moment, so I was off a bit. Last time I made a purchase from the UK things were decidedly higher (I bought a DVD box set from Amazon.uk, and the USD price - sans shipping - was a little better than double the poundage).

Yes, if you were to buy it from the UK.

In the US, the price would not be that high.

Thing is, with gun laws in the UK being so strict, I really highly doubt they'd sell it to someone in another country. Not to mention, customs would almost certainly snatch it up.

Even if you did manage to get it, it's not worth it with the currency conversion. Not when you could get it for half that price domesticaly, if you could find it.

I'd say your best (and cheapest, which is also best if you plan to offer kits) bet, is to get the less expensive "normal" version of the gun, make a resin copy and then have someone ingrave it.

Yes, if you were to buy it from the UK.

In the US, the price would not be that high.

Sure, of course not - but it doesn't seem like anyone has seen the thing for sale anywhere else. Apparently, Pietta no longer makes them (I've gone through a few different tomes here at the homestead - and they don't seem to list this as something they manufacture).

Also - it's a black powder thing, so it may fall into the whole "curio/collectable" crevasse - where the laws are a touch more relaxed...?

As for the engraving, if you guys can get a resin casting done, there are people around that do laser engraving on all sorts of surfaces. I'd find one of them and talk to them about it.

Kinda' touched on that solution above. It might be a better way to play it, since there is text on the Supernatural version not found on the original piece.

A-HA (not the band, though they're pretty great, too)!

http://www.floridagunworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FG&Product_Code=446&Category_Code=BP+RV

It's not a Pietta (the addition of the manufacturer's name in the text thwarted my initial searches, but leaving it out took me to pages about the history of the original gun, not sales links).

No engraving (except some kooky action on the cylinder, from the looks of things) - but it's stateside and less pricey...

Thanks, Grenade King - for lighting a fire under my butt to make another search!

I sent an inquiry to floridagunworks about 10 months ago & never received a response from them. Maybe someone else will have better luck.

Also keep in mind, everybody, that getting the gun is not the only issue (albeit a hard enough issue already). The Paterson is a cap and ball revolver so the conversion to cartridge firing revolver would still have to be made to be accurate.

Also keep in mind, everybody, that getting the gun is not the only issue (albeit a hard enough issue already). The Paterson is a cap and ball revolver so the conversion to cartridge firing revolver would still have to be made to be accurate.

In the show's mythology, the gun was eventually modified (with the assistance of a demoness named Ruby) to fire cartridges, but it didn't start out that way, so technically, either way would be accurate (that's my story and I'm stickin' to it! :D ).

And if we're still talking about resin replicas, casting the real cylinder and tweaking it to look like the cylinder had been modified for cartridge fire would be a great deal easier than taking the cap n' ball to a gunsmith...

Actually Ruby helped Bobby to rebuild it so they could cast their own bullets, but when Samuel Colt made the gun it fired cartridges, they show backflashed of him making the bullets, carving the grip etc... So story wise, it never fired black powder balls...

Trust me, I watch this show WAY too much. :lol

Actually Ruby helped Bobby to rebuild it so they could cast their own bullets, but when Samuel Colt made the gun it fired cartridges, they show backflashed of him making the bullets, carving the grip etc... So story wise, it never fired black powder balls...

Trust me, I watch this show WAY too much. :lol

CRAPBALL! I am corrected!

You're totally right - she rigs it so it can fire regular rounds. The previous rounds were special, and there were only thirteen. Good call.

Still, casting the parts seems like the best way to make that conversion happen, yes?

I would have to agree, cast the cap and ball receiver then modify and recast. I'd love to get in on this but I wouldn't be too eager to invest without a good caster lined up and someone who knows firearms.

Has anyone talked to Wakal about this? Is he still around? I've been away for a while myself...

EDIT: Looking at the screen caps on page 1 it doesn't look like the reciever was actually modified, They just use "movie magic" to tell us it's made for bullets rather than cap and ball ammo.

I mean it's not really firing anything on the show and I imagine they could make the 13 bullets just small enough to drop in, for the "loading" scenes....

Last edited:
I would have to agree, cast the cap and ball receiver then modify and recast. I'd love to get in on this but I wouldn't be too eager to invest without a good caster lined up and someone who knows firearms.

Has anyone talked to Wakal about this? Is he still around? I've been away for a while myself...

EDIT: Looking at the screen caps on page 1 it doesn't look like the reciever was actually modified, They just use "movie magic" to tell us it's made for bullets rather than cap and ball ammo.

I mean it's not really firing anything on the show and I imagine they could make the 13 bullets just small enough to drop in, for the "loading" scenes....

Well, the dummy bullets were obviously tweaked. They've got numbers etched into them, but the overall effect looks more sculpted than scribed, if you get my meaning.

That said, after your previous (awesome) contribution, I went looking at a couple of Supernatural resources I've visited in the past, and mention was made of the propmaster having the Colt replica modified for cartridge fire so he could load blank rounds - maybe that was done with no obvious effect on the cylinder?

Aside from the shape of the grooves in the rear of the cylinder, the untrained eye might not even notice the same conversion on...oh, say - Jayne Cobb's Firefly revolver? Original grooves were square (like the Colt), amended grooves were ovular...maybe this conversion was less pronounced?

Either way - that's a good thing for our cause!

That gun is NOT in stock configuration on screen.

Check the pics on page 1. The close up of the hammer shows that a firing pin has been added. Take a look at the cyliner in the rest of the pictures, it's smooth. There are no cutouts for the percussion cap nipples. I'd bet it's an entirely new cylinder.

Somewhere along the way, that pistol has been heavily modified. It most likely chambers and fires conventional cartridges with ease now.

I am of the opinion that this is a custom job.

Most conversions are drop in or semi-drop in. I've never seen one that involved welding a firing pin to the end of the hammer.

I know nothing of firearms of any kind, but are you saying that cap/ball guns don't require a pin? I would have thought any type of gun would need a pin to strike the primer. Again I have no clue about guns.

So if you are right, were looking at a modified hammer as well as the bullet chamber?

I still think the deluxe Pietta was the starting point of this prop. But the basic version of the gun would be a great start if someone could do the scroll work, even then you're looking at a $600 base gun.

If we had some decent measurements other than the fact that the barrel is 9 inches, I'm sure one of the talented guys here could scratch build something...

I know nothing of firearms of any kind, but are you saying that cap/ball guns don't require a pin? I would have thought any type of gun would need a pin to strike the primer. Again I have no clue about guns.

So if you are right, were looking at a modified hammer as well as the bullet chamber?

Cap and ball guns are very different. The back of the clyinder is solid, it's not bored all the way through like on a modern revolver. It has small holes in it where nipples are screwed in. The cap is seated on these nipples and the hammer, which has a flat face, crushes the cap against the nipple, causing it to ignite and fire the cylinder.

Look at the two pictures near the top of page one, I'd say for certain that the hammer and cylinder have both been modified. And, going from those pictures, I'd also say it's a custom job. It doesn't match up to any off the shelf conversion I've seen.

OK, now I understand. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm really surprised we haven't found a cheap (by cheap I mean $75-100) knock off of a colt to use as a base... I mean, even the airsoft is $400.. This is nuts...

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back