Suicide Squad (Post-release)

I enjoyed the film. It had some fantastic nods to the comics. Some visuals (Joker and Harley dancing looked so much like Alex Ross' artwork) and dialogue taken directly from the comics. I thought it was just an entertaining action film apart from the comic book stuff too. It certainly had flaws, and was far from being a masterfully told story on any level, but I don't go into a film like this expecting oscar worthy material. It's a popcorn munching comic book movie.

Waller is worse in the comics too. She's done things ten times more evil than shoot some staff members. I thought, frankly, they made her too sympathetic for the movie. She has zero redeeming qualities in the comics and is 100% unlikable.

I can't find anything that indicates Waller has killed people in cold blood like she did (pulling the trigger and all that) in the movie. Yes, she's made decisions and done bad things throughout her 30 year history. Obviously, her involvement with Suicide Squad is condoning murderers, rapists and just vile people all around is an indication that she is ruthless... however, pulling the trigger herself is different - at least to me - no matter how one might justify it.

I did find this article which touches on many of the reasons I feel this way. Personally, I still feel it's more poor storytelling and bad character development more than anything - the writers took a cheap, easy way out to try which made her an outright bad guy rather than an antihero.

This movie just goes back and forth so much as to what it wants to be. The director - or whomever might be making the overall calls - is all over the place. You can feel the presence of Deadpool all over this.

I can't find anything that indicates Waller has killed people in cold blood like she did (pulling the trigger and all that) in the movie. Yes, she's made decisions and done bad things throughout her 30 year history. Obviously, her involvement with Suicide Squad is condoning murderers, rapists and just vile people all around is an indication that she is ruthless... however, pulling the trigger herself is different - at least to me - no matter how one might justify it.

I did find this article which touches on many of the reasons I feel this way. Personally, I still feel it's more poor storytelling and bad character development more than anything - the writers took a cheap, easy way out to try which made her an outright bad guy rather than an antihero.

This movie just goes back and forth so much as to what it wants to be. The director - or whomever might be making the overall calls - is all over the place. You can feel the presence of Deadpool all over this.

Good article, cheers for the heads up.

Certainly in the animated series she has been seen to order airstrikes and allsorts, prepared to wipe out good and bad people alike to achieve goals.

The film interpretation does indeed show her in a slightly more selfish light as per the article, but whats wrong with that? Its a fresh interpretation whilst retaining the core values of the character?

I wouldn't say its a cheap way out. It was a great way to show how far she'll go - she absolutely isn't to be f*hked with. And they still haven't entirely made her a villain - she (for selfish reasons) assists Bruce in finding new friends - effectively assisting in forming the Justice League. She also didn't take good guys and inject them with a tiny neck bomb, she took bad guys.

Each to their own of course.

Waller is a despicable character, if you've watched Batman Beyond, the cartoon, she essentially cloned Bruce through a couple who had trouble having children, then hired a killer to kill the child's parent when he was young. We're talking really innocent people here, just to make sure the Batman will continue to exist. The killer didn't do it, but still... She's stone cold, gunning down her staff is really not the worst thing Waller has done in all her incarnations. What was weird was Flagg's reaction to it, I thought he would be much more offended, given how he despised the criminals he has to lead... But then again, I guess that if I were him, I wouldn't raise too much concern about this to avoid taking a bullet in the back of the head myself as well...

I havent seen it a second time yet, but I keep thinking back to a few lines that I really liked.

"Question..Would you die for me?"
"Yes."
"That's too easy. Would you...would you live, for me?"
"Yes."
"Careful...do not say this oath thoughtlessly. Desire becomes surrender, surrender becomes power. Do you want this?"

I love this exchange. Not only is it open to interpretation but it illustrates a lot about their relationship and how it formed.

It was also followed by Harley choosing to jump into the chemicals, which I was really hoping for - that was great. Without knowing what would happen or if she would survive, she's so dedicated to the idea of Joker that she does it anyway. Biggest trust fall ever.

And then I think Joker's walk away, hesitation, self admonishment and then jumping in was pretty telling too - it told us without words that the first time he fell into this bath, it changed him (whether it hurt or not I'm not sure, but perhaps it just signals a major moment in his memories with Batman.) It shows that his first thought, even though he had Harley wrapped around his finger, was to leave and forget her. And then the reality kicks in, and he realises that he wants her by his side.

I also love the idea of asking someone to live for you - very Joker-esque ideal, twisted and nonsensical at first but makes sense the more you think about it. (Similar to how Nolan Joker makes the very valid point that everything's fine for everyone as long as we "stick to the plan" etc.)

Quite like the music over that scene too, was a nice change up from the pop/rock songs, and accompanied the scene well.

Waller is a despicable character, if you've watched Batman Beyond, the cartoon, she essentially cloned Bruce through a couple who had trouble having children, then hired a killer to kill the child's parent when he was young. We're talking really innocent people here, just to make sure the Batman will continue to exist. The killer didn't do it, but still... She's stone cold, gunning down her staff is really not the worst thing Waller has done in all her incarnations. What was weird was Flagg's reaction to it, I thought he would be much more offended, given how he despised the criminals he has to lead... But then again, I guess that if I were him, I wouldn't raise too much concern about this to avoid taking a bullet in the back of the head myself as well...

I thought it showed quite well the dynamic (in the film, not looking at comics) between Flagg and Waller. He is very much the subordinate, the beta personality. She totally dominates him - she encourages his connection with June Moone, and then threatens to keep her in a drug induced coma...and the fact that Flag "messes up" and doesn't report that Enchantress was unaccounted for for a period of time. So I think by that point in the film with Waller, he is just a total supplicant, even though he is starting to warm up to the criminals that he is running with.

Has this been posted yet? (Warning: language NSFW)

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I have no desire to see this in the theater.
I'll wait until it comes to Redbox.
"Man of Steel" was such a disappointing (infuriating!) misrepresentation of the Superman character for me, it actually made me angry (furious!).
I haven't seen BvS yet, either.
I just haven't seen anything from DC makes me feel anything other than indifference for their new films.
Which is too bad. I loved Superman when I was a kid...

Last edited by a moderator:
Has this been posted yet? (Warning: language NSFW)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_CcYVahvfQ

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I have no desire to see this in the theater.
I'll wait until it comes to Redbox.
"Man of Steel" was such a disappointing (infuriating!) misrepresentation of the Superman character for me, it actually made me angry (furious!).
I haven't seen BvS yet, either.
I just haven't seen anything from DC makes me feel anything other than indifference for their new films.
Which is too bad. I loved Superman when I was a kid...

I have a strong dislike for her. Seen her on quite a few panel videos in various channels - she is infuriating in manner, opinion and discussion. Absolutely doesn't know how to have a discussion, is completely one minded and believes what she says is the undeniable truth (and not just about DCEU, has some very passionate hate for the X-Men franchise too, among other things). But she's entitled to her opinions of course. And makes her living doing what she loves, I have respect and envy for that. Nothing like some ripe hate through the prism of mocking comedy for channel views though eh...

When Grace was tepid about Civil War and defended BvS to the extent of starting the ridiculous implication that film critics may have been paid off by Marvel Studios to slam BvS, I was convinced that she is an unreasonably and hopelessly biased DC reviewer.

Then I saw this review.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a strong dislike for her. Seen her on quite a few panel videos in various channels - she is infuriating in manner, opinion and discussion. Absolutely doesn't know how to have a discussion, is completely one minded and believes what she says is the undeniable truth (and not just about DCEU, has some very passionate hate for the X-Men franchise too, among other things). But she's entitled to her opinions of course. And makes her living doing what she loves, I have respect and envy for that. Nothing like some ripe hate through the prism of mocking comedy for channel views though eh...

I love her. She basically sums up how I feel about the DCEU, especially with that review. Is she infuriating to you because she totally bashes the DCEU? Most people think that what they are saying is the "right" way of thinking, so thats not really that much of a point there. Well...the Xmen franchise as a whole deserves a lot of that hate. Best movie in the Xmen franchise? Deadpool. Hands down. X2 is a close second, and considering how many X movies there are, thats not that successful of a franchise. I think there are a lot more mistakes than successes in the Xmen franchise personally. She has a gimmick, she is a cute girl thats into nerd stuff, but man, I couldnt agree more with what she said in that video. Especially the storytelling vs "making things cool" part. I love that chick man. If I found a girl like that I would be set. :love

I love her. She basically sums up how I feel about the DCEU, especially with that review. Is she infuriating to you because she totally bashes the DCEU? Most people think that what they are saying is the "right" way of thinking, so thats not really that much of a point there. Well...the Xmen franchise as a whole deserves a lot of that hate. Best movie in the Xmen franchise? Deadpool. Hands down. X2 is a close second, and considering how many X movies there are, thats not that successful of a franchise. I think there are a lot more mistakes than successes in the Xmen franchise personally. She has a gimmick, she is a cute girl thats into nerd stuff, but man, I couldnt agree more with what she said in that video. Especially the storytelling vs "making things cool" part. I love that chick man. If I found a girl like that I would be set. :love
She's cool and I like her, too. CBG19 is an admitted Marvel girl - specifically X-Men, from reading the comics but I believe she's also fair in her criticism. While she's all about X-Men she's also a harsh critic of Fox for mucking up the franchise. I thought her review of BvS was pretty creative when she combined it with a tutorial on the proper way to string pearls.

She's infuriating because she's annoying as hell - I don't just change my opinion on people if I disagree with them - cheers for assuming that though. John Schnepp hated BvS - I still found the stuff he is in decent and entertaining. Grace Randolph (she didn't start any of that critics getting paid stuff, she just ended up embroiled in it - John Campea got involved too, it was very childish! I enjoy a lot of Campea's stuff but he is very similar to CBG19 in some ways, way too headstrong about stuff - he is however fine with admitting when he is wrong or is open to other opinions) hates Suicide Squad - I don't agree with all of her reasoning and she certainly tends to go extreme with her views in both directions to create buzz sometimes I think - she's annoyed me in the past despite loving BvS. She said David Ayer shouldn't work again after Suicide Squad...ridiculous. There are plenty that have the same opinions as CBG19 that I can accept and listen to, because those people are open to change and discussion - CBG19 doesn't seem open to any of that at all. Amy Dallon and Ashley Robinson are far better in panel shows (for the shows I watch anyway.) and are actually interesting to listen to, and are modest and informative whilst still holding different views. I'm from the UK so it could be CBG19's specific accent that also tinges my annoyance maybe - she's very full on/loud. Perhaps it's also that I tend to go for panel stuff rather than individual channels - I tried to watch a few of her reviews when I first came across her and just ended up finding her annoying even if I agreed with her on stuff.

X1 paved the way for comic book films and was great as a kid. X2 was great. Last Stand sucked ass. Origins sucked ass but had some good moments. First Class is one of my favourite comic book films with some of the best comic book character moments I've seen on screen. The Wolverine was pretty forgettable but had some good moments. Days of Future Past was bloody brilliant, just a smidge under First Class. Deadpool was awesome. Apocalypse was just a fine movie - It wasn't awful, and it wasn't amazing.

I count two duds, two mediocre films that are entertaining in parts, and five great ones. That is not bad at all.

I get where she's coming from in what she wants to see on screen for Xmen - I'd love to see a lot more training and young camaraderie/drama too - but there's also a reason that the film market isn't filled with that style of film. Spiderman: Homecoming might pave the way for something more similar to what she wants, and I hope it does.

SUICIDE REVIEW!

Paper thin action plot..fight scenes against the evil beanbag zombies actually got boring.

I watched ONE trailer (Bohemian Rhapsody one) and all the good parts were in that trailer.

Rockin soundtrack to appear edgy, but pulled from the most obvious and over used classic rock tracks ever

Ever wish Fran Dresher/The Nanny wore hotpants, hit things with a bat and occasionally forgot to use her Brooklyn accent? You will love Harley.

Diablo is rad, esse

Killer Croc looks great and is in the movie primarily to wear hoodies

See Will Smith as Will Smith with guns! (also heart of gold hitman who just wants his daughter back)

Hop from Stranger Things is in it! Yay!

Amanda Waller and her head go boom iphone!

Captian Boomerang likes PINK unicorns. Deadpool likes white unicorns. Totally different and not at all a rip off

The Joker. The hot topic, Jersey Shore, Gangsta thug Joker. Meh

Batman is in it! And Batfleck once again is great.

Rick Flagg..a uninteresting, unlikeable dick.

Like Ghostbusters, Bad CGI and Axl Roses’s wiggle dance? You will LOVE the third act.

Stay for the super clumsy mid credits scene

Not as bad a Batman V Superman, but the DC movies seem to lack any coherent plot. The thing with GOOD comic movies ( Dark Knight, Wither Soldier etc IMO) are that they are good movies. Replace Batman with a random detective, and take off the Jokers costume and the Dark Knight is still a great film. The new DCU has been edited to death after focus group testing. This may be the last DC movie I see in the theater until a standalone Batman movie. (who am I kidding..)

A second viewing improved my opinion somewhat. It was a lot cleaner looking than I remember my first viewing being, there are some great visual effects. There's still a few story decisions I wish were different, but nothing that isn't salvageable. There's more reasoning and explanation for things in there than people realise.

I really enjoy the music that links Joker and Harley now, it's synonymous, it's a great underlying theme. I started to see the relationship properly too on a second viewing, and it's very intriguing take on these two. Waller's voice overs at the start are more important than people give them credit for, they help bolster the characters a lot.

There is actually less Enchantress silly dancing than you imagine! I think I only counted two scenes where she is prominently doing it, and not for long. Other times she is just standing or pouring more power on from a static position. But of course it's now part of the Zeitgeist, and can totally understand why. I thought the same first time around.

The Batman arrival in the alley behind Deadshot and his daughter was better the second time around. The Batman save of Harley is fantastic - the fact we see a grappling hook ascent turn smoothly into a dive into the water in one fluid motion like the Arkham games is just AWESOME.

There is genuine emotion in the bar scene when you find out about El Diablo's sins. Great scene.

The music was slightly jarring on the first viewing, yet on the second viewing (same screen!) it didn't nearly feel as jarring. It actually accompanies the film really well. I would have preferred a few more original pieces to go with certain characters.

The plot is actually OK. Not amazing, not rubbish. Just OK. Definitely a few holes that needed to be plugged though.

Other than a few things I would have liked to see, and a few things that shouldn't be there, it's an enjoyable film. I was 6/10 on first viewing. Solid 7/10 after the second one. There's a lot to like. Enjoyed myself.

The villain wasn't great overall, but I'd easily say villain wise it was a match for Antman, Guardians, Thor 2 etc. Just a poor villain. Before she went full witch, I'd say she had more potential than those particular film villains, but definitely didn't follow through on it. She was creepy and powerful... Then it tanked. haha.

What was the villains name again? Cuase I know the names of all those other villains from the Marvel movies you mentioned. Not enchantress, but was his name "brother"?

I think thats the problem with DC, they worry about making cool moments, but not cool movies, the story telling is abysmal. I agree with you, the Batman scenes were pretty neat, but nothing out of the ordinary that you dont expect from Batman. Will Smith looking like a pimp took me out of that scene honestly. I think youre giving them too much credit Fawbish, the plot, or lack there of, was pretty bad.

What are some of the visual effects that you liked? I cant remember one VFX shot that I was really wowed by. I saw a guy at comic con in a better Killer Croc cosplay so the make up wasnt that exciting for me either. I hate to say it, but the only take away that I enjoyed on screen was Margot Robbie as HQ. I have been watching the Killing on Netflix, and I was excited to see Joel Kinnaman in a role, and he let me down, especially with his wonky accent. But I dont think that was his fault. Of course this movie is going to make a ton of money and that really makes me sad because it is, in fact, a mediocre movie at best. Its just so....dumb. :facepalm

I love SideShow's take on Killer Croc. It would have looked so cool if they used that Avatar tech to render the character for Suicide Squad instead and made him all huge and scary looking.

ssq1.jpg

ssq3.jpg

Last edited:
Saw it last night and went in with super low expectations because of all the reviews.Me and my son enjoyed it for what it was. Not great but I thought it was ok.

Ben

I just got back from watching it. I LIKED IT. Not the greatest movie ever made by any means, but it kept my interest from beginning to end. I had heard two major complaints before I went: not enough Joker and too much time spent on origin stories, but I thought the origin stories were necessary to those unfamiliar with the characters and Joker's screen time was sufficient. I'd watch it again without hesitation. Loved the Batman appearances!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back