Suggestions wanted for making prop replicas in glass or ceramic.

userd1402

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm a Blade Runner obsessed, self employed artist-designer-maker from the UK working in kiln formed glass and ceramics and I have recently been doing a small run of ceramic Blade Runner prop replicas here on the rpf.

Since this run is now coming to fruition, and I've really been enjoying the whole process, I have decided to try my hand at doing prop replicas in a more 'commercial' way so I'm after suggestions as to which items would be well received for high-end glass or ceramic replicas? I already thought of solid cast glass sankara stones (although there are a lot of sankara stones out there already) or real gilded terracotta pottery Indy Grails but there must be loads of other things in movies made from glass or ceramic which could be reproduced in the original genuine material that you would like to see done?

Suggestions please.

Last edited:
Blade Runner Johnny Walker bottle please from the first film.;)
That would be my own dream too but unfortunately my glass work is formed in a kiln so I’m able to do flat (‘sheets’) things, bent, curved or domed flat items or solid ‘cast‘ pieces, not blown work with hollow centres. So for instance I’m able to do white and cream glass Blade Runner chess boards but bottles are beyond me (at the moment).

Last edited:
I see alot of people after this, not sure what flat, bent or solid cast means for glass but, an idea. Cup is also used in cyberpunk 2077 when V drinks at a bar this is the cup he always drinks from.

Attachments

• blade-runner-whiskey-glass.jpg
    blade-runner-whiskey-glass.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 59
Thirstymods that’s the Cibi double old fashioned by designer Cini Boeri as used in Blade Runner, Star Trek and Back to the future 2, made by Arnolfo diCambio in hand blown Italian crystal.
I know where you can get some vintage 1980’s ones if you are in the market but actually making them is way (WAY) beyond me.

Last edited:
Chess board,that's interesting.:unsure: have you done one already?

I have produced a prototype in translucent white and French vanilla. Shown here, without it’s white border, sitting on a steel-cased vintage lightbox the same size as the original:
0F6E8E00-6466-4E42-8F75-61DD8AA0D2D6.jpeg

I did a lot of calculation to work out the measurements, making my set the most dimensionally accurate I could get;
79C18CC3-8E36-44FC-997B-6EE6A67DAF2D.jpeg

Here’s an article I wrote on the subject;

Last edited:
Does the light shine through your board? Are you just going to do the board or is it a complete thing,light box and board?

The light shines through opalescent art-glass beautifully. At the moment I only have the one lightbox but my son is a sheet-metal fabricator/welder so this could be one of the items I am able to offer a run of in future with my hand-made glass top and internal lighting. I will put it on the list and speak to ‘the boy‘ at the weekend about feasability.

Not sure if this is the kind of suggestion you have in mind - but I was watching Raiders of the Lost Ark yesterday, and the red, glass bottle that contains the poison dropped onto the dates (that then kills the monkey) caught my eye of something of interest.

As I mentioned earlier, bottles are a bit beyond my capabilities. It’s the kind of shape I can do as ceramic but in glass I could only manage solid ones which is a bit of a pointless excercise.

Usered1402,
As a suggestion for your ceramics, how about a small scale version of Lloyd Wrights tile or the wall tile / door tile seen in Tyrell’s Office.
View attachment 1590540View attachment 1590541

Hmm.. Yes, that's interesting. Perhaps I should take on the run of quarter-scale tiles put forward by the now M.I.A. GordonGekko since his run failed to ever happen;

usered1402,
Didn’t know someone had already propposed their version of the tiles on the RPF. Still an option for you to do your own take.
There are 2 different variants of the Tyrell Tile ( you probably already know this) , so you could expand the range a little.

2BECC79D-3146-48DC-9886-E36A3450569A.jpegBD305797-F04E-4E05-90DA-1D9B9B273177.jpeg

That's the one I did from the measurements provided by Tom Southwell (14 & 7"square). Only one design was made and reproduced on the doors and long table. Other pics on the Web are showing artist representation of the tile and are not accurate;)
1655988889750.png

Screen-used tile photographed by Tom Southwell:
1655989290945.png

Profile (rarely seen)
1655989339057.png

1655989726922.png

1655989758295.png

1655989788601.png

That's the one I did from the measurements provided by Tom Southwell (14 & 7"square). Only one design was made and reproduced on the doors and long table........
joberg,
I used to think there was only one also but I recently did some research work on Tyrell Office and Interrogation room and mentioned it on facebook. I can’t remember did Tom Southwell confirm it also, but have a look at this screen cap below and look at the differences at the edges of the diagonals on the tile and also the botttom triangle. There are 2 different variants. One might be vacformed plastic, the other cast plaster.
B5EA9141-7CE9-484B-AA06-FAB55173A07F.jpegBCA1FD6E-C380-43A6-B5DA-4E373835559D.jpeg
A member of the Blade Runner Facebook group also confirmed this when I mentioned it and had one made from his own investigation. His tile below.......
B88DD65E-47B8-4562-9479-EEDEE282AF01.jpeg

joberg,
I used to think there was only one also but I recently did some research work on Tyrell Office and Interrogation room and mentioned it on facebook. I can’t remember did Tom Southwell confirm it also, but have a look at this screen cap below and look at the differences at the edges of the diagonals on the tile and also the botttom triangle. There are 2 different variants. One might be vacformed plastic, the other cast plaster.
View attachment 1590579View attachment 1590581
A member of the Blade Runner Facebook group also confirmed this when I mentioned it and had one made from his own investigation. His tile below.......
View attachment 1590583
Interesting for sure; it seems that 2 designs were made. It can be that one was easy to vacu-form, while the other was made in another medium:unsure:
Here's a known pic of Batty in the Snake Pitt corridor. Bottom shows the one photographed by Tom Southwell.
1655998133961.png

As well as the baffles in the interrogation room
1655998381622.png

You learn everyday!

View attachment 1590583
ah yes, that’s my old mate Mike in Texas. His plan for these was for injection-molded full size pieces and his master is of the highest quality. He put it off until he had more time to devote to the project then along came the pandemic. I might ask him later when he will look at it again.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back