Suggestions for convenient 3d model viewing software

laellee

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys and gals,

So i'm working on a fairly large digital modeling project right now, and I've hit a bit of a wall. Up to now, I've been sending rendered images of the 3d modeling to the people involved so they can get an idea of progress and I can get feedback. Normally, this is just fine for my purposes, but the complex shapes I'm working with now are getting lost perspective-wise in normal renders.

So, simply put, I'm looking for some sort of easy to use software that will open the model (in .obj/.3ds/.dae/whatever it prefers format) and allow for simple manipulation to examine it. I've got a ton of modeling software that can of course do this, but I'm looking for something that is essentially fudge-proof for a non-modeler (with no modeling software currently), something they can easily use to examine the model from any perspective they choose.

Any suggestions? Sketchpad looks like it would do the job, but I don't want the files shared everywhere right now. Any experience/suggestions? Thanks!

I would recommend pepakura viewer. It's a free program that used for 3d model viewing before unwrapping the uv's. The user doesn't need any 3d modeling knowledge just how to use a mouse (hold right mouse to rotate). Great for quick viewing and allow modeler to use prosperity file type that can't be open in another 3d modeling package.

Only major downfall is it doesn't allow for high poly mesh. As long as you send the basic base mesh it will work perfectly. Just send renders for fine detail.

Last edited:
I would recommend pepakura viewer. It's a free program that used for 3d model viewing before unwrapping the uv's. The user doesn't need any 3d modeling knowledge just how to use a mouse (hold right mouse to rotate). Great for quick viewing and allow modeler to use prosperity file type that can't be open in another 3d modeling package.

Only major downfall is it doesn't allow for high poly mesh. As long as you send the basic base mesh it will work perfectly. Just send renders for fine detail.

Haha, Thanks for the suggestion. I've got a boatload of experience with pepakura, unfortunately you are correct, it would crash the software if I tried to open one of the models because of the high poly count (100,000+). I've gotten reasonable results with 3Dfile.io, but I may just need to create a flying-camera video of the models and then send them in that format. Thanks again.

laelle, you might try Autodesk's FBX converter tool and FBX Quicktime viewer plugin. You can use the converter tool to convert or view various 3d formats and convert if you want to FBX, then send the FBX to whoever with instruction to use the Quicktime FBX plugin (the interface obviously being more simple). Dense files and animations shouldn't be a problem.

Autodesk - Autodesk FBX - FBX® 2013.3 Converter

Autodesk - Autodesk FBX - FBX® 2013.3 QuickTime Viewer

Converter tool video (it doesn't need to be this indepth for most straightforward uses which are easy to figure out straight away without instruction)

Using the FBX Converter tool - YouTube

laelle, you might try Autodesk's FBX converter tool and FBX Quicktime viewer plugin. You can use the converter tool to convert or view various 3d formats and convert if you want to FBX, then send the FBX to whoever with instruction to use the Quicktime FBX plugin (the interface obviously being more simple). Dense files and animations shouldn't be a problem.

Autodesk - Autodesk FBX - FBX® 2013.3 Converter

Autodesk - Autodesk FBX - FBX® 2013.3 QuickTime Viewer

Converter tool video (it doesn't need to be this indepth for most straightforward uses which are easy to figure out straight away without instruction)

Using the FBX Converter tool - YouTube

Thanks Blipper! That sounds like a good direction for me to go.... And I'd much rather use a method requiring software from a more reputable source like Autodesk, rather than one of these other shifty-looking sites.

Thanks again!

Great - I'm not sure if your native 3d software is a supported format for importing to the Autodesk converter but I guess you can always export from your software to OBJ?

Yep, no worries. I rotate between 3dsmax, Solidworks and Blender depending on the project type and my patience, exporting or converting file formats isn't a problem.

I just downloaded the software you posted, I'll give it a shot and post my results. :thumbsup

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back