Strange Happenings On eBay

Stairstars

Has anyone else noticed that there is a discrepancy between the eBay clock on the listings page, and the one that appears on the CONFIRM box? I have noticed this for the last few weeks. Online posts show that this problem has happened in the recent past as well.

Tonight, I had a stranger experience, as the page attests:
Screenshot 2022-10-06 at 21-15-49 eBay Item Bid History.png

The stated auction's end was 6:11 PDT. I bid with 9 seconds left to go. It displayed that I was the highest bidder, and I watched the clock count down to zero. Yet, when I went to pay, it sent me an outbid notice, as Bay accepted a bid 21 seconds AFTER the auction ended! Unbelievable.

Has anyone else noticed that there is a discrepancy between the eBay clock on the listings page, and the one that appears on the CONFIRM box? I have noticed this for the last few weeks. Online posts show that this problem has happened in the recent past as well.

Tonight, I had a stranger experience, as the page attests:
View attachment 1624431

The stated auction's end was 6:11 PDT. I bid with 9 seconds left to go. It displayed that I was the highest bidder, and I watched the clock count down to zero. Yet, when I went to pay, it sent me an outbid notice, as Bay accepted a bid 21 seconds AFTER the auction ended! Unbelievable.

I occasionally snipe too, but if they are tweaking the rules we need to know them.

Maybe the 'Time Ended' is rounded to the nearest minute, but the actual auction end goes to the second... So a snipe tool would only know the ending as 6:11pm, but the auction actually ends at 6:11:xx.
Where you actually watching that auction listing as it ended? Did the countdown show seconds as well, indicating it would go beyond 6:11:00?

The last time I used a snipe tool, it did seem to place the bid exactly 10 seconds before it ended, so maybe they've changed something that used to display time to the second, and now only to the minute and it's throwing off the tools...?

Maybe the 'Time Ended' is rounded to the nearest minute, but the actual auction end goes to the second... So a snipe tool would only know the ending as 6:11pm, but the auction actually ends at 6:11:xx.
Where you actually watching that auction listing as it ended? Did the countdown show seconds as well, indicating it would go beyond 6:11:00?
I was watching the auction. After it "ended", the page kept refreshing itself with the heading "we are determining the winner".

I had a later auction where, when I turned off my ad blocker, the clock on the confirm box matched the listing clock, but the auction had the same snafu, as I bid the same time left, 10 seconds, and I won this time, although the time stamp marked
eBay.PNG
my bid as being received 7 seconds after the auction ended. I also noted they added 24 seconds to the clock and counted that down before it was "over".

I've noticed discrepancies too. I have bid on items only to have my bid ignored. If you have the highest bid, you expect to win, not have your bid ignored then delayed. This has happened several times, so I know it is yet another flaw in ebay's system.

I was watching the auction. After it "ended", the page kept refreshing itself with the heading "we are determining the winner".

I had a later auction where, when I turned off my ad blocker, the clock on the confirm box matched the listing clock, but the auction had the same snafu, as I bid the same time left, 10 seconds, and I won this time, although the time stamp markedView attachment 1627110 my bid as being received 7 seconds after the auction ended. I also noted they added 24 seconds to the clock and counted that down before it was "over".

Oh, that's definitely weird... I haven't really bid on much in a while, but I've never seen it say 'We are determining the winner'... It always just popped to 'Sold' the instant the time was reached.
Sounds like they've done something new/weird.
I honestly never understood why they never provided the option for auctions to auto-extend if bids are placed in the last minute or something. I think literally every online auction service does that now, except eBay...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back