Stone Dwarf for DragonCon 2015

Gurutu

For DragonCon this year I decided to go as a Stone Dwarf.
As usual I started way too late and only have about 2 weeks to get everything done.
I have been growing out my beard for a year just for this costume :D

This is a creation of my own design, just kind of making it up as I go.
Everything starts with a base of EVA foam, I cut/glue it into the rough shape I need.
Then I am using Great Stuff expanding foam to spray over the top of the EVA.
I then carve it out by hand with a snap-blade utility knife.
For painting I do a base of solid black, then dry brush with grey and then white.

Here is what I have so far...

Helmet:

20150818_212144.jpg20150818_212206.jpg20150818_212227.jpg
20150815_182829.jpg20150815_182915.jpg
The horns were purchased from Amazon. If I had more time i would have tried to make them by hand.
The helmet is a little on the large size, I might try and tweak it in size a little more if I have time.

Hammer/Mace/Maul:
20150818_212054.jpg20150818_212103.jpg
The hammer is very large, weighs about 5lbs and is very top heavy atm. I might try and add a counterweight to the bottom of the handle.
I will take some better pictures of the hammer after i get it all painted.

If I have enough time I want to add more details to everything (metal banding, tacks/rivets, possibly some moss/dirt).
I still have to make: Bracers, Chest/Back Armor, Leg Armor, Shoulder Armor, Belt and figure out what I am going to wear underneath everything.
So much to do. So little time. Cry...

Got the hammer finished up last night
20150819_214526.jpg20150819_214543.jpg
Will get some pics holding it. Probably about 4 feet long and weighs around 5 lbs.
Debating on adding more size the the bottom if I end up having time toward the end of the build.

Updating my progress
20150827_211251.jpg20150827_211307.jpg
A little difficult to walk in the boots since the ankle area doesnt really flex, but its manageable.
I will be finishing up the bracers tonight.

Stopped by the craft store yesterday and picked up some fabric to make my tunic/tabard. Also got some moss to add to the rocks for a more authentic look.
Have to figure out my belt situation, probably stop by a couple thrift stores and see if I can find something that will work. Will probably make a large rock buckle to match.

Under a week to go!

Alright... I have all of my main armor pieces done. I was wanting feedback from you guys to decide if I should wear both shoulder pieces or just one.
Only wearing one shoulder piece definitely allows for more maneuverability and comfort vs wearing both. But i'm concerned it doesn't look as good as wearing both.
Any opinions?

2015-08-31 21.37.53.png2015-08-31 21.38.51.png Both Shoulders
vs
2015-08-31 21.33.23.png2015-08-31 21.34.24.png One Shoulder

I am going to get my tunic started tonight. I'm using a dark green flannel and will be adding some dwarvish designs/runes to it. I'm planning to use silver puff paint for this. I have never used it before so any tips you guys have would be appreciated.

I will be adding some moss to parts of the armor to make it look a little more like natural weathered stone.
I'm also planning to add some leather wrapping on parts of the grip of the hammer.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back