Steve Neill's Star Trek Sirius 12 years in the making

steve neill

Sr Member
My late wife Gilly Neill wrote this script so we could make a film using the scratch-built 66 inch TOS Enterprise and captain's chair that was born here on the RPF 13 years ago. Some of you will remember the 47 part videos on the making of the 1701.

The Big E Story on Vimeo This is a link to all 47 videos.

The film was shot in my garage against a green screen in 2011. All the sets I made in lightwave. I did most of the CGI and all the post production but I only got so far in 2011 because shortly after that my wife got diagnosed with 4 stage breast cancer. So needless to say the film went on hold and after she passed in 2013 it came to a stop.

In 2018 I did a bit more work on it. It was hard to do because her voice is the voice of the computer. In 2019 a bit more but my work at the studio was so demanding it wasn't until this month I finally finished the film. It wasn't easy because the original edit files all had to be transferred to a new operating system making it nearly impossible. The film was still on a windows 7 machine and Adobe no longer supported it.

But I did have a rough render that was in part all there. Unfortunately shots were missing like the end shot with Rosie and I in the shuttle. Shots of me walking down the hallways and more.

But despite all that I was able to finish it in a way that would make sense. There were screw ups I could fix but they are minor. The opening title sequence was a low res render on the CGI Sirius model. It was always meant to be more detailed but I couldn't find the model and the maps either so it stayed.

This film is a memorial to Gilly. She would be happy to see it finished. Rosie is still with us and doing fine. She's almost 13 now. Hard to believe.

Please if you can, watch the intro where I tell the whole story about the making of this film so you can better understand what I had gone through to make it.

The story is a sequel to "the Balance of Terror" of sorts. I hope you enjoy it and understand its shortcomings.

I remember the videos and the work involved, over the years, making that little film. A great tribute to Gilly and also to you Steve for that marvelous story :cool: :cool: (y) (y) :notworthy: :notworthy:

I remember watching you talk about this WAY back in the day on SNG, when it was new. Glad you were able to finally finish it in honor of Gilly.

I remember the videos and the work involved, over the years, making that little film. A great tribute to Gilly and also to you Steve for that marvelous story :cool: :cool: (y) (y) :notworthy: :notworthy:
Thank you so much! I keep moving forward. My next film shoots Feb. 4th. Not science fiction this time but moving.

Thanks sharing your work, Steve.

You don't know me, but I followed your build of the E and then the film and progress made. I remember when your wife passed and felt the grief of your loss. I'm glad you were able to finish it after all this time, surely a sign of some healing and a great way to honour her.

-K.

Thanks sharing your work, Steve.

You don't know me, but I followed your build of the E and then the film and progress made. I remember when your wife passed and felt the grief of your loss. I'm glad you were able to finish it after all this time, surely a sign of some healing and a great way to honour her.

-K.
Thank you so much Keiko.

Hey Steve,

Glad to see you got the film finished and I enjoyed it!! The bridge graphics are the first iteration and I'm on about the 6th or 7th iteration now but the original versions still look great in your film. I am happy I was able to contribute and good to hear from you my friend!

Will

P.S. Good to see Rosie!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back