Stephen Hickman Cthulhu statue Kickstarter

The 48th Ronin

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Back in 1997 Bowen Designs produced a Cthulhu statue based on a book cover painting by artist Stephen Hickman.

hickman cthulhu.jpg
hickman book cover.jpg

It has always been highly regarded and if you can find one, they go for crazy amounts of money. Hickman claims that he "was never quite satisfied with the statue" and that it "looked unfinished" to him.

After a Kickstarter campaign for a new version of the statue didn't quite meet its funding goal in March, he relaunched the campaign and it has already reached its revised funding goal and has 10 days to go:

RELAUNCHED! HPL's CTHULHU statue crafted by Stephen Hickman

hickman new cthulhu statue.jpg

The new version of the statue looks fantastic - I've already pledged, even though I was lucky enough to score one of the originals back in the day (# 906)

Neat.

BTW, anyone know of a good compilation book with all the Cthulu stories that is still available? I've read a handful, but there's some I missed.

Well, a few of his stories might mention Cthulhu by name merely in passing, but the only story he wrote where Cthulhu himself makes a major appearance is "The Call of Cthulhu."

Now obviously many other authors have written Cthulhu-centric stories throughout the years. Back in the early-to-mid 1990s Chaosium - which created the Call of Cthulhu RPG - started to publish books which were collections of short stories (both old & out of print as well as contemporary) that were centered around each of the "Great Old Ones." In 1996 they did one for Cthulhu - "The Cthulhu Cycle: Thirteen Tentacles of Terror"

The Cthulhu Cycle: Thirteen Tentacles of Terror (Call of Cthulhu Fiction): Burleson, Donald R., Carpenter, Leonard, Comtois, Pierre, Derleth, August William, Dunsany, Edward John Moreton Drax Plunkett, Baron, Foster, Alan Dean, Henderson, C. J., James, M. R., Paulsen, Steven, Smith, David C., Lovecraft, H. P., Lovecraft, H. P., Price, Robert M., Geier, Earl: 9781568820385: Amazon.com: Books

That might scratch your itch.

Thanks! I didn't realize anyone else did stories with that mythos. I think the only ones I read so far were "The Call of Cthulhu" , "At the Mountains of Madness", "The Dunwich Horror".

Oh yeah - other writers "borrowed" elements from Lovecraft's stories just like Lovecraft "borrowed" elements from other writers.

Lovecraft corresponded and shared story elements with his contemporaries including:

Clark Ashton Smith
Robert E. Howard (creator of Conan the Barbarian)
Robert Bloch (author of Psycho)
Frank Belknap Long
Henry Kuttner
Henry S. Whitehead
Fritz Leiber

They were a group often referred to as the "Lovecraft Circle." And writers have continually contributed stories to the Mythos up until the present day.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back