Steampunk Ironman Helmet WIP - 5/31 update

So, the building is 10x16 lofted 'barn-style' shed that was built on my property for $2500 (including the three windows, door and painting). I've spent $500 having it wired from the house (a friend helped, and I helped). I also spent probably another $1k on insulation, paneling, etc.

8898259388_620b3a9070_z.jpg

Just left of this picture I have my scroll saw and chop saw.
8695849959_f52992fa44_z.jpg

Then, yes, my dremel. I've got it connected via a bungee cord to the bottom of the loft. I haven't yet put a clip on the wall, but my plan is to have the motor suspended (as you see it) and a place to clip the spinning end on the wall in between uses (so I don't have to worry about where to set it down while it's still winding down).

I have the 4ft light above the work bench and behind that is the vent (nothing very powerful - unfortunately). You can see the ventilation pipe for this in the loft.

Then I you have the breaker panel where we take the 220 and break it down to 110 for the outlets, lights, etc. Right there at the wall plug, there is a switch/outlet combo that allows me to plug in the shop vac (housed the cabinet below the work bench to the far right).

Here is the shop vac... in it's sorta sound-reduced cabinet.
8696945188_187249a319_z.jpg

The shop vac serves as my 'central vac'... so when connected to my dust collector rig it does that job. But I can also connect 16ft of hose and a handle attachment and vacuum the whole shop without removing the unit.

Here's the dust collecting part of the rig.
8696926956_fca116de57_z.jpg

Back to this pic...
8898259388_620b3a9070_z.jpg

My father was nice enough to donate some stuff. Including that awesome tool box and that wonderful work table. The large Star War action figures are mine. :cool

He also donated a row of cabinets (which I promptly filled with all my materials!
8695861407_4696fbb21b_z.jpg

You can also see one of the two 4ft hanging lights I've got in the main area of the shed... so, there's plenty of light. :D

I also built a little deck with steps on the front and put latices up around the bottom of the shed. Since I take some of the saws and heavy power out on the deck to cut larger pieces of wood, I have external outlets at the deck (so I don't have to drag out extension cords.
8547482666_543bf06b06_z.jpg

One of the things not pictured is the VERY important window A/C unit. That thing keeps this space at 71 degrees even when it's 90 outside. (y))

And that's about it... I'll be happy to post more pictures of the mini-paint space after I finish it!

Steampunk iron man helmet aside, that is a great looking workshop, but now you realise you have no reason for slacking.

I really like your workshop. I have a large space in my garage. I would love to get a workshop set up in there. Right now I just have some work benches and all my tools thrown in there. I need to get organized, lol. One of the biggest issues is that all my kids bikes, scooters, power cars, and other ride on toys are taking up too much space and my wife won't let me get rid of them, lol.

This is possibly the coolest build I've seen yet. kudos to you man, amazing craftsmanship you possess. Gained quite a bit of tips and tricks from this. Looking forward to seeing you all suited up.

Omg that is an awesome workspace!!!!!!!!!!!

Check me out @ CP on the video below and my sweet dance moves......starts at like 314 and then goes to the Harley Quinns then back to us...........and ya my neck was out:( the suit is heavy and I kept taking the helmet off.

Comicpalooza 2013 Video | Samaze.com

- - - Updated - - -

It's still on my work bench. I changed departments at my job late last year, and I'm still buried under a ton a work in my new position. I'm really just hoping I can still do my kids Halloween costumes this year. :(

Hopefully, after this year is done I'll have some time to get back into this build (and a couple of others that are currently gathering dust on my work table.

Johnnymuffintop actually owns the pep file. He might be able to send it to you, but he has also provided the file for download HERE. Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back