Starting A Sculpt

randy7027

I need some assitance on starting a sculpt. I am not quite aware how much of the process is done. So if you guys could shed some light or give links that'd be great. For example when people make bio's or something they make them out of foam, I dont understand why. Or how they make their shapes so smooth and highly detailed, or how they make them big enough and stuff like that. I just dont seem to understand.

Did you look at the sculpting threads in this huntorial list?
http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?showtopic=19141

It sounds like your wanting to make a bio?
I waited on tackling mine until after I had my half mask. Actually, I ended up waiting until I had a bio for size comparison too.

Three good reasons for an armature are:
- handling the sculpture is easier with one
- they take up space that would require a lot more clay to fill.
- they can show boundaries and key points

Did you look at the sculpting threads in this huntorial list?
http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?showtopic=19141

It sounds like your wanting to make a bio?
I waited on tackling mine until after I had my half mask. Actually, I ended up waiting until I had a bio for size comparison too.

Three good reasons for an armature are:
- handling the sculpture is easier with one
- they take up space that would require a lot more clay to fill.
- they can show boundaries and key points
hmm, I've checked but I dont really see much about starting with sculpting one. just mainly casting, molding and painting.

Ahhh, I get it. You need techniques for sculpting, not just sculpting bios.

Youtube had a couple of tuts that helped me out. You may want to look up texturing and mask making. I found those to be most helpfull.

But sometimes you can't get as smooth as you want to with the clay. Making a waste mold is a step to making a smoother piece. You cast a new original and then you sand it smooth to the way you want it then make a new mold.

Ahhh, I get it. You need techniques for sculpting, not just sculpting bios.

Youtube had a couple of tuts that helped me out. You may want to look up texturing and mask making. I found those to be most helpfull.

But sometimes you can't get as smooth as you want to with the clay. Making a waste mold is a step to making a smoother piece. You cast a new original and then you sand it smooth to the way you want it then make a new mold.
ohhh, well how would I start one out?

I've started once again with a regular human armature and im trying to come up with a slender style body..and its really hard for me to get proportions and size right. like arms body and all. This is pretty difficult to say the least.

hey good sculpting comes with time you just have to keep doing it get used to the materials.Thier are exceptions to that rule of course.My suggestion on making a bio would be buy a cheap one on this forum,i am sure you could find one the members here are very good on helping people out.Start sculpting on it or use it as a guide for your sculpt at least you could learn the propertions weight and lines,do the same with the body find a good form a follow the shapes on that.Look their is quick way to learn this media,just keep working at it the more comfy you get with it the more it will come to you if it where easy everybody would be one.Dont give up keep at it and good luck you might just surprise yourself.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back