Stargate Chevron light/sconce

FuseNova

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
A few people asked me where I bought the chevron light in my prop room. Its screen used item from Legends but I find this hard to believe since it looks really bad up close. I think it was either a concept, back-background, or possibly the inside of a chevron. After looking at this in detail, I think just about anyone can make one for probably less than 20 bucks. So in the event wants to duplicate this item, I've added details/pics below. Check out another chevron at the bottom.

The propmakers appeared to use acrylic for the frame and they used black tape and glue to hold it together. I think a better solution is to use wood instead to create nice smooth seams and skip the tape.

Actual chevron - note the acrylic inverted triangle in the middle sits atop the base acrylic. also the crappy paint job with lots of over-spray.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Inside -
attachment.php

Inside with data - the purple section is the top acrylic piece which sets on top of the acrylic base "V". Note, the depth of the box is is 2 5/8"
attachment.php

Corner shot showing support used
attachment.php

Taped corner
attachment.php

And finally, another chevron like item from the "Ark of Truth". Difficult to re-create easily but I may post an interest thread on this if my fabricator feels he can replicate the parts easily.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Looks like this thread was meant for me. Thanks Fuse...I'm inspired now that I know how easily constructed it is! Maybe I'll just design my own while I'm at it...:cool

It always amuses me just how unrefined real props are. :confused

But I suppose if you're on a strict budget and a tight deadline, then as long as it looks good from a distance in poor lighting, it gets the job done and adds to the believability of the show/movie.

Quite honestly, most of us here can do as good a job (if not better) blindfolded. :lol

Depends on timeframe and budget. Also, that may not have been a "prop" per se, but built by the set dec folks.

It also may have been repaired on-set for some reason. Those tend to be hack jobs. :lol We get rental props back all the time with paint overspray on them from set painters.

Ha - well I didn't give near enough detail and per a couple of requests, I'm adding a picture to post #1.

The box is 2 3/8" deep except where the middle triangle (11/8") has been added making the middle section 2 1/2" deep.

Alan - nice, and fast, match especially considering the lack of info:
http://www.therpf.com/f9/my-prop-re...my-largest-replica-avatar-103287/#post1693944

I have a Google Sketch up rendition of the sconces shape along with my interpretation of how to make it from wood. If any one would like. Just PM me with your email plus the subject of "Stargate Wall Sconce" and I will send you a copy of the Sketch up file.

Here is a snap of the screen so you have a rough idea. I am going to work more with these dimensions in creating a more screen accurate model for a wall sconce. After which I may even prototype one out. But that will take a bit more time. If I don't get to caught up in the process I will try to do a build thread which I will start elsewhere. First things first though I gotta get the model going so I can see what materials and dimensions are needed.

I would just really like to start by Thanking FuseNova for the inspiration and starting dimensions. :cheers

I would just really like to start by Thanking FuseNova for the inspiration and starting dimensions. :cheers

VERY inspirational ! I took 24" from tip to tip as a base guide and ended up with this

c9-924x661.jpg

c10-877x671.jpg

c11-859x684.jpg

c122-517x673.jpg

The build was quite straightforward. More (not alot though) details here, post #245 if it helps in any way.

Thanks again for the inspiration FuseNova :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

----------------------------------------------

EDIT - ooops, didn't notice you had already linked to the thread. Anyways, pics above will help from sifting through the other thread. To make it easier, let me bring the 'build' ones here too. Here they are

----------------------------------------------

Didn't want to spend too much on this, so mostly used what was lying around.

From the garage, an old piece of plywood. Messed around with the design a little till I liked it.

c12.jpg

Some cutting

c22.jpg

Some glue

c32.jpg

Raided the youngests' stationary drawer :lol

c5.jpg

Some light fixtures

c6.jpg

Ouch :cry

c7.jpg

Last edited:
Ok well after a couple nights of tweaking I think I have a workable Sketch-Up model. But first I would like to say great job to alancastillo1. and again anyone who would like a copy of my Sketch-Up file need just ask.

Here are another couple screen Caps of the file. Once I get to Fabrication I will start a new Build Thread. Keep an eye out for me.

A few people asked me where I bought the chevron light in my prop room. Its screen used item from Legends but I find this hard to believe since it looks really bad up close. I think it was either a concept, back-background, or possibly the inside of a chevron. After looking at this in detail, I think just about anyone can make one for probably less than 20 bucks. So in the event wants to duplicate this item, I've added details/pics below. Check out another chevron at the bottom.

The propmakers appeared to use acrylic for the frame and they used black tape and glue to hold it together. I think a better solution is to use wood instead to create nice smooth seams and skip the tape.

Actual chevron - note the acrylic inverted triangle in the middle sits atop the base acrylic. also the crappy paint job with lots of over-spray.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Inside -
attachment.php

Inside with data - the purple section is the top acrylic piece which sets on top of the acrylic base "V". Note, the depth of the box is is 2 5/8"
attachment.php

Corner shot showing support used
attachment.php

Taped corner
attachment.php

And finally, another chevron like item from the "Ark of Truth". Difficult to re-create easily but I may post an interest thread on this if my fabricator feels he can replicate the parts easily.
attachment.php

Thanks for sharing the pictures along with the dimensions. Looking forward to having a crack at this one day :)

are very good and you do not sell any chevron?

Depending on the build Im doing I may make more to sell. I am not sure. Frankly I just want to get through the first one for now.

Opps... I just realized this is not my thread so if you were asking FuseNova sorry I dont know I think he was selling. Just suppling the dimensions so you can make your own like Alan did.

If you were asking me then keep an eye out for a Junkyard interest thread notification in my Build thread linked above.

@FuseNova many many thanks for the Images !! Inspired me create one myself, your pics and measurements Helped greatly achieving the shape. My chevron is still in sanding stage will share pics once I am home.

If it is not too much to ask would you be kind enough to post pics of the 2nd chevron like prop. Kindly also do post the outside dimensions of a edges I would so love to attempt creating that cool Looking prop..

Many Thanks Mate

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back