Star Wars Thermal detonators

Sn4k3

Jr Member
Hi guys and gals.

I was wondering if anyone knows the differences between the MR, KR and romans thermal detonators.

I know thar the KR is all metal, copper domes with nickel plating and aluminium ring, comes as a kit, lights are yellow, and have a more aesthetic chassis, have some addictional functions like move activation, some additional sounds as well.

I believe romans also is copper with nickel plating but plastic ring, comes assembled, lights are white instead of yellowish, functions wise does the same as the one showed in the movie

For the master replicas i dont have much info.

In regards to size which of the two laters is more similar to the master replicas? Does anyone know?

I'm doing a thermal detonator build myself and would be keen to know more as well.

The KR one is nickel plated brass by the way.

I'm thinking of doing the 3D model myself and print it in resin, but I want to get the diameter correct. I know the MR one is made from dimensions taken by Adam Savage of the original prop using calipers, and have seen the diameter mentioned as both 60 mm and 2 and 1/2 inches (63.5) mm. The latter would match well with the VHH-250 clear plastic hemispheres from Plastruct which they likely used for the original prop, you can see the metal paint / coating peeled off and see wires on the inside of clear plastic dome on later pictures of the prop.

signal-2022-08-29-14-49-03-546.jpg

It would be great if someone with the MR replica could confirm.

The Roman Props is very similar to the Master Replicas. It disassembles the same way and uses the same N batteries.
I heard that, apparently the Romans is so similar to the MR that i have heard people call it "basically a MR rip off"

I'm doing a thermal detonator build myself and would be keen to know more as well.

I'm thinking of doing the 3D model myself and print it in resin, but I want to get the diameter correct. I know the MR one is made from dimensions taken by Adam Savage of the original prop using calipers, and have seen the diameter mentioned as both 60 mm and 2 and 1/2 inches (63.5) mm. The latter would match well with the VHH-250 clear plastic hemispheres from Plastruct which they likely used for the original prop, you can see the metal paint / coating peeled off and see wires on the inside of clear plastic dome on later pictures of the prop.

View attachment 1613603

Sorry i meant brass!, i got confused and said copper, but you're right.

Is that photo the screen used replica?.

And yes, it would be totally helpful that people that have or had this replicas chime in here to leave their 2 cents on the subject.

View attachment 1613603

Just saw this, hope this helps.
20221025_184958.jpg
20221025_184935.jpg
20221025_184912.jpg
20221025_184854.jpg
20221025_184831.jpg
20221025_184803.jpg
20221025_184742.jpg
20221025_184419.jpg

Man! Thank you!

Yes it does help!, That thing is really accurate.

What color does the led lights on? Is it yellowish like in the movie?. Or white like the romans version?.

Now we need this but with the KR version.

Thank you man, great post for what we are trying to find out

Good luck on your build, a metal TD was one of the very first props I attempted. I’d do it slightly differently if I had to build it over. I was on a very tight budget at the time and all materials and electronics came in at under £30.

Not sure if it will be of help and apologies if you’ve already seen it, but thought maybe not due to the thread title, but if not my post are here:

Thread 'My builds/finds'
My builds/finds

I can probably find a link to the sound file I used and some other research material if you need it.

Hi Scott, do you have a way to measure it like Ryan did with his prop?
Nearly identical to the MR measured above. Only the decimal side of the measurements is slightly different. Otherwise exactly the same in whole millimeters.

63.70 diameter

switch:

just compare those above and you'll see it's nearly the same. Also the switch measurements come on a tapered and rounded surface so can be fudged slightly.

No problem, if you need any more information please let me know
That's so very kind. Do you know what size (in millimeters) the outer diameter of the LED housing in the mid-section of the TD is by any chance?
I'm trying to locate some LED holders and wanted to get as close as possible to the correct size.
Thanks again Ryan
1677445436908.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back