Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII (Pre-release)

Can I complain about how white people are portrayed in movies like Roots? Why doesn't Tyler Perry have any strong Native American women lead roles?

SOMEONE is ALWAYS going to complain about something. And life isn't fair!!!

People who cry for equality usually don't want to actually have balance and be equal. They usually just want to push an agenda in your face.

Oprah and Ellen have more power, money, and fame than almost ANYONE in America.

If I say "that's not fair!" Why am I the jerk?

There aren't any Native American talk show hosts... It's not fair!

It's not about being fair. It's about writing stories that reflect the world you know. George knew a bunch of white, fast driving Californians and American Graffiti and Star Wars reflected his experiences. This generation of filmmakers knows a much broader society at home and through media, and their stories will reflect that. The only pandering they could do here is limiting the stories they tell to appease an aging oversensitive fanbase...

This thread is prob about to get locked.

And that's a shame.

I just hope Star Wars isn't used as an agenda laden 2 hour comercial with light sabers and blasters sprinkled on top.

I have gay and black friends that think the same. (I swear on my life that I'm 100% serious.)

"Think for yourself, question authority."

It's an agenda Westies.

If the Mona Lisa were painted today... Would it HAVE to have a Hispanic person gay person black person transexual person Jew/Muslim and an octo-mom with Jerry Springer too because that's the world we live in?

Or is an artist ALOWED to simply paint the Mona Lisa?

I'm gonna guess the painting would have to have more on it than sponsors on a NASCAR car...

Cause, hey, that's the world we live in!

For years, star wars has been attacked for their representation of minorities. In addition to their being very few women of people of colour, the prequels represented some pretty bad stereotypes in their aliens.

The fact that modern star wars is trying to adjust to the times is completely understandable. That's not pandering or shoving a political agenda.

It's simply changing with the times.

And the fact is, after it becomes canon, you'll stop being bothered by it.

Ummm, Han allowing himself to nearly get roasted by space bears is canon, as was his allowing himself to get killed by a whiny punk on a bridge. I could name a million things that are canon that bother the schit outta me.

The Wook

We just finished watching the third death star get blown up and people are saying that diversity is pandering?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Star Wars is a fictional story set in a fictional world with no connection to our reality. I don't think gay characters are the necessity they might be in shows/movies that represent a cross section of real life, and I don't think it's wrong to not address it in that scenario.
That said, I'm not against it in principle in any way, I just don't want it to only be a token gesture they feel cornered into. TFA had a female and black main characters, and they didn't feel like pandering to issues of sexism or racism to me, they were both amazing characters who just happened to have some diversity. If they continue to write great characters like that, I couldn't care less what their sexual preference is. Just let it come naturally.

Star Wars politics ruined the PT.

Now earth politics are going to ruin the sequels.

Wook, I'm sorry. Can I please squeeze in your escape pod. I think I want to jump ship. I'll owe YOU a life debt buddy!!!

I actually think he biggest mistake here is treating it as an "announcement"

If it was simply part of the next movie, no one would have cared. It only looks like pandering when they treat it as an event.

Like if Darryl on the walking dead was suddenly gay.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

This was a great post by BlobVanDam!

And I agree with you on everything bud... Except I really believe it will NOT be for the sake of story etc. it will be "how can we cram this in there and make it very prominent?"

It's gonna stick out for what it is. Politics.

It will feel just like "LOOK IVE GOTS A RED ARM NOW... SEE? SEE IT???? LOOK!!!!"

I could care less if Half the cast is gay as long as it isn't like my 3p0 anology...

But it will be.

It...... WILL be.

Star Wars is a fictional story set in a fictional world with no connection to our reality. I don't think gay characters are the necessity they might be in shows/movies that represent a cross section of real life, and I don't think it's wrong to not address it in that scenario.
That said, I'm not against it in principle in any way, I just don't want it to only be a token gesture they feel pushed into. TFA had a female and black main character, and they didn't feel like pandering to issues of sexism or racism to me, they were both amazing characters who just happened to have some diversity. If they continue to write great characters like that, I couldn't care less what their sexual preference is. Just let it come naturally.

All JJ said was that there would likely be gay characters in Star Wars' future: "It seems insanely narrow-minded and counterintuitive to say that there wouldn't be a homosexual character in that world." He didn't say what kind of scenes they'd produce, and he honestly doesn't know as there's no plan in place. But yes, we know the sexuality of Han, Leia, Lando, Anakin, Padme. We've had provocatively-dressed women, suggestive situations. Sex is part of Star Wars already - what's the point in saying that Leia's bikini doesn't convey her sexual orientation? If the wardrobe doesn't say it, it doesn't count? It convey's Jabba's, for sure - as do his dancers. In that whole, great wide galaxy, everyone must be straight?

I think he could have said it better if he phrased it: ""It seems insanely narrow-minded and counterintuitive to say that there wouldn't be a homosexual character in that world. Besides, who's to say that there hasn't been a homosexual or bi character in the previous 7 movies? It's not like that aspect of 99.9% of the characters is even looked at. If you see someone in society today, you don't immediately know their orientation. Same goes here. Just because no pointed it out to you doesn't mean they aren't there. They most assuredly are, you just have no reason to know it."

At this point, in essentially a non-sexual saga, making a character's orientation know is likely just for the sake of doing it. I'm sure they COULD do it somehow so it's germane to the story, but still.

Cboath...

FOR THE WIN!

Excellently put!!! I 110,000% agree!!!!

But again... RED ARM.

They didn't treat it as an announcement, nor do they have plans for a character in the works. JJ just answered a question about the possibility.

The inclusion of gay characters in that universe is no more pandering than the inclusion of straight characters has been. Any issues are 100% in your own heads, or those of your gay and black friends.

At this point, in essentially a non-sexual saga, making a character's orientation know is likely just for the sake of doing it. I'm sure they COULD do it somehow so it's germane to the story, but still.

Some really fun moments of the saga are related to attraction. Han giving Luke a hard time about Leia in ANH, Han and Leia's whole story in ESB, even Finn falling all over himself asking Rey if she's got a boyfriend on board the Falcon. These scenes don't detract from the story and clearly depict orientation. They could play out the same way with gay characters, and the only true problems with that would be seated firmly on the audience side of the presentation.

Star Wars politics ruined the PT.

Now earth politics are going to ruin the sequels.

Wook, I'm sorry. Can I please squeeze in your escape pod. I think I want to jump ship. I'll owe YOU a life debt buddy!!!

All aboard!

Star Wars: Episode VIII (Pre-release)

And just to be completely honest: I kind of wish it could stay as homogenized and familiar as it's been too, because that's comfortable and easy to me - and I can relate to the Han/Leia romance. I also understand that the issue is mine, and not the filmmakers'/storytellers' to adopt on my behalf should they choose to tell a more inclusive story. They're making these movies for everyone! Haven't we straight white men had enough monopoly on relatability in characters on screen?

People complain that there were no female ghostbusters... Now we're getting whatever this mess is... that is SOO much agenda, soo little substance, other than, LOOK! FEMALE GHOSTBUSTERS!

When do we get an all male sisterhood of the traveling pants?

Will Ferrell and Mark Whalberg as Thelma and Louise?

I want Arnold as Buffy the vampire slayer.

Aziz Ansari as General Patton.

And for God's sake why can't Eddie Izzard play Malcom X? (Love Eddie!)

My point is, there is a place for everything... Then there are things that are simply forced changes to make things "fair".

There are almost 0 native Americans in ANY roles... Even that of native Americans...

No one cares.

Why isn't their a Native American history month?

Why isn't there a Cherokee lead actor in episode 7?

Because they are too proud to whine about it. And therefore.... NO ONE CARES.

Those nonsense, disingenuous, false arguments only prove that you have no valid points here. Including new gay characters is the same as a white malcolm X? Native Americans have no issue with their representation in film or American society? Please!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back