Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release)

Ok so based on the kind folks that have answered my questions and driving into work thinking on it more.
So it's 1983, I'm that old so yes, I can put my mind back there in theaters, jump ahead and I'm catching up with our heroes after
happy Ewok victory day Abrams style..

Han is a failed father and failed marriage with Leia, runs away, turns his back on his soldiers (he was a General afterall) to go back to being unremarkable and smuggles
with his buddy who apparently is content to just hang with him forever no matter what. Yes Chewie is his faithful "dog" so to speak, ok I'll let that go.

Luke has failed with his new Jedi academy failing to detect and protect it from the darkside, and runs away, also turning his back on the immediate cause of fighting I guess the surprisingly resurgent Empire.

Leia and the rebellion failed to defeat the Empire, to such a degree it's on full bore again.

And they all fail in such a way that everything is happening almost exactly as before all over again.

I sit there and think was their child not loved and nurtured in the best ways possible?
Including an expert on the force Uncle watching over? There should have been zero evil
influence at all on that child and if there was you had TWO people that would know right away.
So its destined that what? about half of Skywalkers are just going to turn bad? Like really bad and endanger
the entire galaxy?

Could they not have had the kid kidnapped by baddies or something instead? I could see that.

OH and Han FAILS to keep the Falcon!
Wow. Try to take my ride and see what will happen to you!

Last edited:
Just saw it.
A fun movie.
Lots to smile about.
Derivative, yes.
Plot holes, yes.
Disconnected scenes, yes.
Creatively empty, a bit.
A JJ movie, yes, with all it's problems.
But still a fun immersive movie.

...I didn't come out feeling dirty and cheated, though I did weirdly miss Lucas's more wooden style every now and then, to be relief for the constant camera moving etc.

Last edited:
When episode VIII comes out, its going to be three years later in movie time as well as our time, we are never going to get to know how that first conversation went.
I'm not sure how you could possibly know how much time they're planning to have pass between VII and VIII, story wise, but in our time it'll less than a year and a half between, not 3.

Last edited:
I struggled to make sense of Mark Hamill's facial expression in a key scene... What did he try to feel? Sadness? Pain? Recognition?
Or was it just his real feelings of "Oh my god, I'm in one of these movies again ...". ;)

By the way, I liked Rey's garb in that scene.

I struggled to make sense of Mark Hamill's facial expression in a key scene... What did he try to feel? Sadness? Pain? Recognition?
Or was it just his real feelings of "Oh my god, I'm in one of these movies again ...". ;)

By the way, I liked Rey's garb in that scene.

More like.... 30 seconds work and they are paying me how much! LOL
I think he is far more talented than Ford. But never was able to reach those same heights for some reason.

Was anyone else underwhelmed when Kylo took off his mask? I'm not sure why, I just expected something else :D

The list of Visual FX people in the credits :D It was like they had teams of 100 people each working on making Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher look a lot more older than what they are :D

But yeah, fun entertaining movie.

Was weirdly... errmmm... distracted by the size of Daisy Ridley's leg calves! They were out of proportion huge!. Seriously, I can't be the only one that was distracted by the size of them things every time she was on screen :D.

They made the right decision with the story when they wanted to make Kylo Ren a a real evil person, Him killing you know who... made him a instant Darth vader evil character... Before that he was pretty much a better ep 2-3 whiny angry Anakin skywalker typ throwing tantrums with his lightsaber.... (love the stormtroopers in the corridor scene :) )
The first scenes with the Snoke character made me think he was a uber large character... the hologram lines was not as visible as in the other movies.
C3po suit looked ODD, not because of the arm color but because it looked like it was made from Matt plastic instead of chrome. Looked really weird.
Did not spot Warwick Davis....What did he play or was he cut?.
Max von Sydows character was cut short :p ...Was he some sort of Alderaan surviver?
The creature with the glasses was really good, I totally believed that it was Linda Hunt playing her.
The Chrome trooper lady was not as cool as they had hyped about it...... Guessing scenes with her was cut.
I concur with people that the story is very much like ANH (but made today, with 1977 style) .... but that does not make me not love it.
It's a Really Really GOOD MOVIE.

OH and the i am positive someone is going to make the last scene a Meme........10 HOURS....staring at each other

Well I enjoyed it. It was derivative (note to future movie makers, lay off the super weapons and Jedi for a while, it's a big galaxy, with interesting stuff to explore besides the aforementioned.) Perhaps its biggest flaw was that it was a bit too self-aware. it felt a bit too much like "We're in a Star Wars movie, wanna join, we're gonna have fun !"

My guess is that we are due for a pretty hefty director's cut from all the bits that felt skipped or rushed, possibly something on the level of a LOTR/Jackson feature.

Finn is an excellent character, but I have a bad feeling about how his "speciality" as a stormtrooper is going to haunt us in the coming years.

Speaking of Stormtroopers I found that the suits, especially the legs looked much bulkier than the classic troopers. I dig the design, but it's weirdly proportioned.

Phasma and General Hux are perhaps the two most disappointing characters. Phasma never did anything interesting other than look ominous. And Hux looked like a space cadet who took a wrong turn. You want somebody a bit older and who looks like an evil military commander, like a Robert Shaw ...

Not perfect, but at least we didn't get political exposition, galactic taxation, aliens that spoke in offensive stereotype idioms, gungans behaving badly, wall-to-wall greenscreen, etc ...

Ya gotta laugh. The TV news, of course, is covering opening night and just had a guy on who showed up with no ticket and was shocked it was sold out!

I also seen the movie today.Its awesome...not so good like the OT movies..but better as all Prequels together.
This movie has the soul of the OT.

SPOILER-SPOILER-SPOILER

The only thing that was a little bit unrealistic in my eyes ,that Rey was so powerfull with the lightsaber against Kylo Ren.
He is a practicel fighter and she never used a lightsaber before.Same with the mindtrick with the Stormtrooper.She learned all this too fast without a master.
Thats the only big disappointing for me with the movie.

C3po suit looked ODD, not because of the arm color but because it looked like it was made from Matt plastic instead of chrome. Looked really weird.

I'd say they wanted a clean 3PO for the film,.....to make him ultra shiny like at the end of SW & in AOTC,....there were real problems trying to hide the crew in the reflections,....thats why every movie they had to dirty him,....in ROTJ he was matted like TFA

J

SPOILER-SPOILER-SPOILER

The only thing that was a little bit unrealistic in my eyes ,that Rey was so powerfull with the lightsaber against Kylo Ren.
He is a practicel fighter and she never used a lightsaber before.Same with the mindtrick with the Stormtrooper.She learned all this too fast without a master.
Thats the only big disappointing for me with the movie.
We don't know her backstory yet though, either. Maybe she did have training and was too young to remember it and it all sorta kicked in?

Just saw it.
A fun movie.
Lots to smile about.
Derivative, yes.
Plot holes, yes.
Disconnected scenes, yes.
Creatively empty, a bit.
A JJ movie, yes, with all it's problems.
But still a fun immersive movie.

...I didn't come out feeling dirty and cheated, though I did weirdly miss Lucas's more wooden style every now and then, to be relief for the constant camera moving etc.
You summed it up pretty well.

Lots of fun - I would add that it had that ADHD feeling (for lack of a better term) a lot of movies have now a days... there wasn't a whole of breathing room, it was a little too non-stop - we never got a chance to get a handle on any character other than the main two (as we already know Han and Chewie... which they did some developing of)... but, Poe? Maz? They could've built them up better.

Someone else mentioned that Ren's helmet removal was a bit anti-climatic, I'll agree with that and wish they would've made the Ren/Solo reveal be a little more dramatic,

I know people say that this is very reminiscent of ANH - and it definitely has way more than it's fair share of ANH in its blood, I'd also argue that it has a healthy bit of hte prequels in it, too.

A welcome addition to the franchise.

- - - Updated - - -

Um, one question - maybe I missed it - is there anything definitive about Kylo Ren's fate?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back