Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release)

Both issues can be traced directly back to George's style of writing and how the films were structured. Realistically, what should have happened is that Anakin works as the audience surrogate (the same way Luke was in ANH) to whom things must be explained. As Anakin is trained, he'd need to learn about the Dark Side of the force. He'd also need to learn who the Sith are, since they are the ones he faces. This would allow his tutor the opportunity to provide a bit of exposition to clear this stuff up. E.g., "The Dark Side is that part of the Force driven by anger, fear, hatred, and which ultimately leads to evil. The Sith were an order of the most devoted practitioners of Dark Side manipulation, who nearly enslaved the galaxy over 1000 years ago before they were defeated and utterly destroyed by the Jedi. Since that time, there have been other Dark Side users, but they have been wild, untrained, and ultimately defeated by the Jedi. The figure we fought, though, was clearly trained in what I am sure were ancient Sith arts." Then when Anakin says "How do you know" he explains that he has studied the Sith in the archives, but such things are only for the highest ranking and most closely trusted Jedi like Master Windu and Master Yoda." And that builds Anakin's growing resentment of not having enough power, yadda yadda yadda.

Now, it's not directly relevant to the films (that the Sith are just one kind of dark side user), but you could work it into the films. Instead, Lucas' style has always been to, like, drop a reference to something and then...not really explain it. The new film had some of this, too. Referencing the Knights of Ren without explaining who they are. I expect they will be explained, though, precisely because of the whole "Wait, I thought the Sith were the bad guys?" issue that you (understandably) point out.

Well, technically, we refer to such people as Neo-Nazis, rather than Nazis themselves, but congrats on Godwinning the thread either way! :)

I'm sorry, but can you refer me to the Plagueis backstory that remains canonical? As far as I know, the only backstory we have -- the only official backstory, anyway -- is the story Palpatine tells Anakin at the opera house. As far as I can recall, there was no mention of Plagueis generally manipulating the galaxy from the shadows for years, nor the precise manner of his demise, other than dying in his sleep. I mean, for all you know, Palpatine poured poison in his mouth, and there were no visible wounds. If all we have to go on are the EU novels, then you can't rely on them and we're back to the "but why'd they have to get rid of the EU?!?!" debate.

Two things.

First, to be fair, we don't know the full story yet. All we have are the initial hints of a story, and a lot of people are simply filling in the blanks based on past stories and current assumptions.

Snoke's goal vis a vis the Force could be...nothing. Maybe he doesn't even have Force powers himself, he's just really good at manipulating and BSing impressionable young chuckleheads like Ben Solo. Like many cult leaders, he may simply be a guy who knows how to influence people without actually having special magic powers. Towards that end, the Knights of Ren might simply Force wielders that Snoke has manipulated into working for him.

Or they may be a Dark Side faction with a wholly different philosophical stance than the Sith. We have no idea, but I expect the distinction will eventually be drawn. If that doesn't happen, then yeah, I agree that the use of Snoke and the Knights of Ren will have been pretty silly and pointless and will render them more like the Knights-Who-So-Recently-Said-"Sith!". But it's a little early to make that call, I think.

I don't recall him saying that (not saying he didn't, just that I don't recall it). I thought he wanted to succeed where Vader failed. So, towards that end, he'd lift what he thinks works, and try to reject what he thought didn't work. Maybe Kylo Ren can't find any old Sith teachings and that'll be part of the new films -- him hunting for them. Or maybe it'll be something else. I dunno.

I don't think it's a retcon of the PT because the PT never really established who/what the Sith were, and therefore there's not that much there to really retcon in the first place. I do think that's kind of a failure of the PT, but at that point, the series could simply fall back on the EU to fill in the blanks. Now we're rebuilding all of that, so we don't have the backstory to rely on.

I don't know how they're gonna take this, but I do expect they'll distinguish the two bad guy groups at some point, the same way that the First Order is not the Empire.

Again, I chalk most of this up to Lucas' style of writing. He'd throw out a prophecy without even understanding it himself, or rather would use words that he thinks are totally unambiguous, but which can easily beinterpreted differently. Case in point, he apparently has said in interviews that "balance to the Force" meant "destroy the Sith." Because apparently destroying evil = balance? I think George would tend to toss around ideas without really having a clear, fixed backstory in mind, which I suppose makes sense when he considers even the stories he'd commit to film as "stories that I can mess with whenever I like."

Remember the end of Watchmen? Nothing ever "ends."

neo Nazis exactly I even put that in my post neo sith we don't give a long explanation about how they differ from the Nazis they hang hitler pictures on the wall they hate jews there Nazis especially since Kylo worships frakin vader .and slaughters frakin jedi !

everything is different now concerning the EU that is fine exactly my point is then change it don't write a character that is exactly the same and change his name and tell me you did something . earn you damn paycheck if you want to change it change it is complete BS to erase a name and replace it with SNOKE one of the worst names ever .. still have not seen anything that says he is not plaguies other than the writers denying it which they have to do no matter what it part of there job.

As an aside ... I weary thinking all this speculation will wander it's way through our lives (if we have one) for another eternity before the next movie comes out. Whew! That will be truly dismal.

exactly why I said stop quoting me( not that you did so im lying I guess but others did lol) and ill fade away till the movie drops we know little of nothing till then .

I think part of the problem here -- understandably -- is that it's very, very difficult for the hardcore fans to "unlearn what they have learned" with regards to the Star Wars universe from EU materials.

I mean, just on the topic of the Sith alone, the EU had at least three separate "Tales of the Jedi" comic book arcs, the two KOTOR games on PC, the Old Republic MMO, and I have no idea how many novels. Moreover, unlike the stuff that happened after ROTJ, most of it hasn't been obviously discarded (yet). It hasn't been incorporated, either, but it hasn't been obviously overruled at all.

So, much of what I suspect people think they know about any number of things relating to the Sith...they actually don't "know" in this current version of the Star Wars universe. But telling people "Watch this movie and don't think about what you previously read about the Sith" is like telling someone "Sit in that corner and don't think about a polar bear." You're gonna think about the bear, even if you're not supposed to.

That's just one of the built-in difficulties of the new material and the way that the Star Wars franchise used to be run. The EU existed for over 30 years. That's 30 years of people accepting XYZ as a fact, only to suddenly be told that they have to disregard that fact. I still get pissed if someone says Pluto isn't a real planet, ya know? (Side note: yes it is, because SHUT UP, THAT'S WHY.)

Anyway, for better or worse, that's basically what we have to do now: We have to ignore what we've learned about the universe, or at least wait for a lot of it to be confirmed. The rest, you just gotta approach with an open mind or resign yourself to being frustrated (at the least) with where the franchise goes. I know what a drag that is -- feeling like your favorite franchise is telling you to not let the door hit you in the ass on your way out -- but I think there's still a lot to be enjoyed if you can get past this hurdle.

same response as before change all you want but change is what I expect not just in name only.
like the pluto is not a planet thing.
is it still there?
yep.
did it change ?
nope what changed then?
we decided.
what?
shut up its not!
O.K. I GUESS !
but what did the universe provide for us a new damn planet HA ! suck it scientists we WILL have nine planets you take one away and the universe or galaxy provides !.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh we will know plenty and I'll be there to tell you.;)

lol now that's funny I don't care who you are.

I thought it would have been really interesting if Snoke hadn't been force sensitive, but just a master manipulator.

However, as Bryan said, the visual dictionary pretty much confirmed that he is a force user of some sort. Also, I'm assuming when he says it's time to finish Kylo's training he is referencing teaching him more of the dark side, not just the fact that he got his ass kicked in a lightsaber fight.

You skipped around. We had just talked about the PT: they saw a bad guy and said "Hey look I bet thats a Sith!" and lo and behold...they were right. It was a Sith. Now, we see the exact same kind of bad guy and say that it looks like a duck, talks like a duck, and people here come back with It's not a duck because it calls itself a cat!

At this point I wonder if you're trying to pick apart what I say just because you're still mad at Wook. If so it's ok, I'm not Wook. I loved this movie. Just discussing Star Wars the way nerds do.

But I'll go ahead and clear it up anyway. Yes, Kylo is conflicted. He's trying to get rid of the good, even going so far as to kill his father to rid himself of goodness, leaving strait up evil behind...in his mind: completing his journey to becoming what he wants to become. (arguable whether he succeeds, I think he did not, but very clear what his goal is in doing it).

I'm really not sure where you're coming from with this "picking apart what I've said because you're mad at The Wook" "I'm not The Wook".

OF COURSE you aren't The Wook. I never said that you were. For that matter, I'm not mad at him, either. So you're way off base on that score.

I don't view it as "picking apart". I'm responding to the specific things that you've posted that I feel differently about. That's what we all do here. It isn't an attack, or a vendetta, or any other such thing. I don't see where there was anything in the tone of my responses that indicates that I was in any way unpleased with you, or that I had intent to "pick you apart".

Merely contributing to the discussion. That's it.

And as others have chimed in and pointed out, Kylo's behavior thusfar has shown clearly that he is not straight up evil.

I think part of the problem here -- understandably -- is that it's very, very difficult for the hardcore fans to "unlearn what they have learned" with regards to the Star Wars universe from EU materials.

I mean, just on the topic of the Sith alone, the EU had at least three separate "Tales of the Jedi" comic book arcs, the two KOTOR games on PC, the Old Republic MMO, and I have no idea how many novels. Moreover, unlike the stuff that happened after ROTJ, most of it hasn't been obviously discarded (yet). It hasn't been incorporated, either, but it hasn't been obviously overruled at all.

It's murkier even than that. The new Marvel comic has one of the holocrons collected by a Hutt character mention "the Hundred-Year Darkness", which is from the EU as another term for what would later be known as the Second Great (Jedi) Schism. In the EU, those exiled/rage-quit fallen Jedi were the ones who found the Sith species, intermarried with them, and led to the Dark Lords of the Sith and the Sith Empire. Now the term is part of the canon, but the rest of it...? How far can we extrapolate, if at all? It's agonizing to have one bit of a story, but not know how much of the rest is still valid. *heh*

And that's just one example. They've peppered the new canon with a dropped name here, a mentioned reference there, a cameo appearance over there... but we can't take any more from it than just that specific datum until they include more. The general trend, though, is that they're working as fast as they can to organically include the good stuff, while quietly ignoring the... less-good stuff, from the distant past up through the end of ROTJ. It's only the stuff from that point on that's gone gone. Plus the lingering question of what that means for people, ships, etc., from that era that had activities that took place earlier in the EU -- notably Mara Jade. Thanks to Katie Lucas making Maul from Dathomir, now, instead of his old EU origin and training, those are now no longer Sith tattoos, so that's out. I think the Eyes of the Sith is still a thing, though. Which means, again, that Kylo and Snoke aren't Sith.

There might be some things we could glean from the films and Clone Wars, had George not been so sloppy with his writing (e.g., Palpatine -- no Darth whatever -- originally referred, repeatedly, to Luke's lightsaber being a Jedi weapon, didn't use one to try to execute him, and the descriptions George gave for the Emperor was that he was all shriveled up and sickly looking due to being devoured from the inside by the Dark Side... then he forgot all that in the Prequels, and now he's "Darth Sidious", carries a lightsaber, which he uses to fight, and his messed-up face is now due to Force lightning, even though Luke exhibited none of those signs after being hit by far more of said Force lightning...). Good stories, bad execution, by and large. Many contradictions introduced, which we the fans now have to rationalize or try to ignore. But it makes connecting the dots harder than it might otherwise have been.

Also, it hit me the other day... People have griped about George repeating himself all the way back to when Our Heroes had to "blow up another Death Star" all the way back in ROTJ. That, to me, was one of the bigger indications of George needing good writers working with him. He'd lifted the Death Star from the end of that story arc to put in Star Wars, since he had no expectation of ever making enough off Star Wars to warrant a sequel, let alone multiples. So when he got to that point, rather than come up with something new... he just used a bigger Death Star. Then he intentionally paralleled the original Star Wars story in TPM, saying in planning sessions "it's like a poem -- it rhymes". Now I realize what he was trying to say, if he were wise in the ways of music...

Star Wars is a canon. I don't mean that in the way we normally talk about canon on here. I mean it in the musical sense. Go listen to one of the most famous -- Pachelbel's Canon in D -- and you'll hear what I'm talking about. Or much of Vangelis' music. A canon takes a simple theme and then, through repetition, builds on it, making it more elaborate and adding something new each time. The Prequels handled this clumsily, but it's there. Now TFA is the newest repetition of the theme, with the familiar elements being incidental background against which the new is placed. Neither would work without the other. The new needed the context of the old, the old needed the novelty of the new, and they're interwoven.

Yet again, I agree that it couldashoulda been handled a little differently, as far as conveying crucial... need-to-know... information! But I assert even more strongly that if all you saw was the repeated theme from earlier in the saga, you're listening to a rock song and only hearing the bass line. I can't tell you how to watch it, but you're missing a lot that is actually there.

--Jonah

Last edited:
Yeah, he's not a Sith, he clearly has some very specific and unique Force abilities (stopping a blaster bolt and his ability to invade someones mind), he is completely undisciplined and unhinged, and he committed patricide in an effort to purge the light and it didn't work, so know he may feel a bit betrayed. He's entirely unique from the "Sith" we have seen in films previously.

This is reasonably off topic but I was just thinking wow imagine how busy palpatine must have been by ep 2! Can you imagine that guys schedule running two sides of a war at the same time. I bet he went through a lot of personal secretaries. By the end of ep 3 he could probably cut down his hours but before then I bet he was in and out of that robe all day every day.

Back on topic I agree with annanake about Snook I mean Snoke. Give us something new or tie it back in. And while I'm complaining..... Snoke? Really? What were they thinking? "his charcter is like Smoke in the background. I know lets change the M to an N! Job done lets move on!"

Heh, a buddy of mine "corrected" me recently when I made a reference to "Darth Vader's TIE Fighter".

He said "it's an X1 Advanced". I said "where in the movie do they say that?" ;)
(insert "Castle almost says something but doesn't" meme here)

This is reasonably off topic but I was just thinking wow imagine how busy palpatine must have been by ep 2! Can you imagine that guys schedule running two sides of a war at the same time. I bet he went through a lot of personal secretaries. By the end of ep 3 he could probably cut down his hours but before then I bet he was in and out of that robe all day every day.

Back on topic I agree with annanake about Snook I mean Snoke. Give us something new or tie it back in. And while I'm complaining..... Snoke? Really? What were they thinking? "his charcter is like Smoke in the background. I know lets change the M to an N! Job done lets move on!"

I'm with BrianCD, Solo, Kristen, and others in that it's too early to tell what or who exactly Snoke is. It's been one movie so far and it took us 2 movies to get any real details about Vader, 2 before we actually saw the Emperor and 3 to even begin to learn anything about him, it really took the Prequels (and the EU) to tell us anything about where the Emperor came from, what he was about, along with what and who the Sith were.

I think that what's happening with the people complaining about lack of information about certain characters, namely Kylo and Snokes, is that they're forgetting how little we knew about Vader and the Emperor when the OT first came out. Since then we've had tons of stories in the EU and the PT to give us all sorts of back story to fill in the gaps. TFA is the first Star Wars movie to go forward in the timeline since Jedi so for the first time in a long time we don't have much back story yet to go on to help fill in the gaps.

I'm with BrianCD, Solo, Kristen, and others in that it's too early to tell what or who exactly Snoke is. It's been one movie so far and it took us 2 movies to get any real details about Vader, 2 before we actually saw the Emperor and 3 to even begin to learn anything about him, it really took the Prequels (and the EU) to tell us anything about where the Emperor came from, what he was about, along with what and who the Sith were.

I think that what's happening with the people complaining about lack of information about certain characters, namely Kylo and Snokes, is that they're forgetting how little we knew about Vader and the Emperor when the OT first came out. Since then we've had tons of stories in the EU and the PT to give us all sorts of back story to fill in the gaps. TFA is the first Star Wars movie to go forward in the timeline since Jedi so for the first time in a long time we don't have much back story yet to go on to help fill in the gaps.

And I would add they are using head canon or EU predispositions to fill in those gaps.

I take your point it's nice to have a character that we know little about as you say the OT is full of characters like this and that was awesome!

Maybe Snoke is boba fett? Or Porkins? My hope is Snoke's character perhaps borrows some of the elements of Plagueis and the emperor (In other words recognisable SW characters) combines them with some new elements (It's not the Sith it's something else) and gives us something none of us can predict. Maybe palpatine survived the trip down the shaft :)

And I would add they are using head canon or EU predispositions to fill in those gaps.

Pot meet kettle.

If we ONLY use the movies, we know that when bad guys show up, smart guys assume they are Sith even if they never call themselves that. And we know Snoke is bad guy while Kylo is a bad guy with some lingering regret. We also know that the same was true of Darth Vader.

You have to look outside to find that there are differences. Our supply some head canon not in evidence. Such as history and that Sith is a noun not an addictive and a description . It's used as an adjective in film. Only in EU and head canon does it become a propper noun.

Last edited:

then you are not" with them" as you say. they seemed convinced that Snoke never was, is not now and never will be Sith!
my argument is exactly what you are saying we don't know yet !!!!!!!
there just happens to be half a dozen clues to his identity . so maybe that is the answer ?
Luke went through the whole first movie and was NOT a Jedi.
I don't remember anyone calling him a Jedi until Yoda died .
in ESB in cloud city he led with his blaster not his light saber because he apparently did not belief himself a Jedi yet .and I think Vader proved him right..

Pot meet kettle.

If we ONLY use the movies, we know that when bad guys show up, smart guys assume they are Sith even if they never call themselves that. And we know Snoke is bad guy while Kylo is a bad guy with some lingering regret. We also know that the same was true of Darth Vader.

You have to look outside to find that there are differences. Our supply some head canon not in evidence. Such as history and that Sith is a noun not an addictive and a description . It's used as an adjective in film. Only in EU and head canon does it become a propper noun.

But from a storytelling perspective, it is just the films, or CW and Rebels.

And what I am saying is that the two pieces of music are not the same. Somewhat similar but in ROTS the music is what is actually being played in the Opera House, called source music. That's music the characters are actually hearing. The music played in the scene's with Snoke are theme music that the characters are not hearing.

And I would bet another dollar that John Williams has no idea who Plaguies is and was not instructed to create intentionally similar music as part of this mystery

the song in ROTSt is called palatines teachings!.
and palatine was teaching about Plagueis ! .
which I said before but am ignored out of convenience

somewhat similar ?
bet if I tried to sell the theme music used for Snoke in TFA a few years back as original I would have been sued for plagiarism by lucasfilm lol

still waiting on why you argued with me about Hans death yet you predicted it earlier???

don't forget to ignore a third time because it is convenient.

and I had to leave in the middle of a discussion a few days ago and would like to finish by hearing your opinion on how we left it.

we see Kylo's hand NOT cut off supposedly after his fight with Rey which I agree on .

so I wondered if when Rey cut his saber I wonder if she damaged the crystal further which will force him to find another .
and you said you don't think she cut the saber at all .

how the hell did she disarm him then?
she swiped her saber and he was disarmed.
did he get frightened and drop it ?
I had to go before I could ask and get your opinion, or if I misunderstood you.

But from a storytelling perspective, it is just the films, or CW and Rebels.

that is what he just said you can not argue both ways even though you have done it with me lol

if we only know what the movies say everyone would be led to believe both Kylo and Snoke are full fledge due paying members in the Sith religion .
but your visual guide says Kylo is not.
fine
I still have seen nothing about Snoke that rules anything out . and if he never was and never will be they better come up with a simi believable story about why he looks and acts like one .

none of this new coke nonsense

it is not the same .
don't change the formula and package it in the same old box

I hit like on your post before I even saw you agreed with me in the least I can just see ol palpy calling the wrong number all Sith robed up . opps wrong number senator Padme.lol

I hit like on your post before I even saw you agreed with me in the least I can just see ol palpy calling the wrong number all Sith robed up . opps wrong number senator Padme.lol

aha ha ha yeah he starts a the call using the wrong voice (either direction it's still funny) and has to cover massively before getting back to the point :)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back