Star Wars: TFA - FIRST ORDER TROOPER (For my 6 year Old Son!) - TFA Troop Photos!

Psicorp7

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
After watching the "Dad Video" of converting the Jakks Pacific giant figure into a costume I knew I had to give this a go. So first I found a coupon and ran to Target and bought a figure and lined it up with my son. It seems like it would work!

First Picture.JPG

The following week we had a 501st armor party and while I was working on my ESB Fett blaster I tasked a few people on removing the 1,000,000 or so screws that hold the figure together. Warning! Have a good, long shafted, fine tip phillips screwdriver and a lot of patience.

Once taken apart you can see that there is a large amount of structure to remove to make this wearable.

001.JPG 002.JPG 022 (2).JPG 023 (2).JPG

I set about cutting, and cutting, and cutting, and cutting, Oh God....the cutting!!!

I finally was able to get to the point where there was a nice clean space inside all of the pieces. I cut the chest and abs apart for better mobility.

006.JPG

I also worked on the blaster just a tiny bit. All I really had to do was add a layer of craft foam to each side of the grip to cover the exposed plastic.

023.JPG 024.JPG

The good news is that the helmet fit my son! I gutted the innards and cut out the eyes. I replaced the eyes with a double layer of mesh to keep them from fogging up and allow better breathing. I kept the four screws and the mounts to be able to open and close the helmet.

019.JPG 021.JPG

I strapped the suit with black velcro to make it more adjustable and easy to remove. His mobility is limited but he has a couple more inches to grow into it over the next year. My hope is that he can still wear it for Halloween!

Here is the finished suit! Ready to troop with Dad on Thursday at the theater!

048.JPG 051.JPG 053.JPG

Thanks and May the Force be with You!!!!!

Last edited:
Re: Star Wars: TFA - FIRST ORDER TROOPER (For my 6 year Old Son!) - From the Toy...

Great work! Just in time for the Force to Awaken!!

I SOOOO want to make one for my boy got when he's tall enough

"For the Jedi it is time to eat as well"

Re: Star Wars: TFA - FIRST ORDER TROOPER (For my 6 year Old Son!) - From the Toy...

Excellent work.
Pity they don't do a doll adult size. lol

We were able to get some great photos from the opening event. He had a blast and spent about 3 hours in the armor. He is quite the little trooper. I was in my ESB Fett and my wife acted as his handler. He was interviewed by two news stations and made it into the local paper as well. It was a hit to say the least!

020.JPG 016.JPG 084.JPG

064.JPG
This photo was described as a Star Wars Family Christmas Card with the two punk teenagers that did not want to wear the matching holiday sweaters! I thought that was great!
By far my favorite photo of the night!

I had a request to show some more of the internal details of what I cut and what I left. Here we go!

On the chest there are two rectangular blocks that insert into each other on the shoulders and the sides. I kept those to help line up the pieces and add structure. I used velcro that attaches at these points to hold the front and back together.

446.JPG 445.JPG 444.JPG

The legs and the arms all have cylinders that the screws attach to and these were left intact to join the two halves together. They are nice and smooth on the inside so it is still pretty comfortable. Inside the knee is another rectangular tab and slot that I left in and the back side of the shin was left in two parts and not screwed together to be able to get his foot inside. I use velcro to hold the back of the shin together.

439.JPG 441.JPG

The abs have the same rectangular box tab and slot setup and I left that in and a few of the screws to hold the two halves together.

448.JPG

I used white duct tape on the inside in a few places to smooth the trimmed areas and make it easier to put on. Most all of the velcro I used was the non-stretching version since I wanted the parts to stay tight together and not open up during movement and cause pinching.

Hope this new info helps out a few!

Great job! That is one lucky kid to have such a devoted father. Man, had I had this at his age....Good on you both!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back