STAR WARS Rebels new animated series!

I don't disagree but, to be fair, Clone Wars worked through the first two seasons before it really "found it's feet" and got good.

The difference, and the problem in my opinion, is that Clone Wars was ultimately under George Lucas' control, and I think he used it to explore what the Clone Wars should have been in the Prequel Trilogy movies. But Rebels is under Disney's control, and it seems clear that they want it to remain not much more than a "kid's show" and not delve into more mature issues the way Clone Wars did in it's later seasons.

That's what I was thinking too. TCW was under the purview of Lucas and he had a lot of clout, which probably allowed him to dictate a lot of what he wanted from the show to Disney. With Rebels you no longer have Lucas to go to bat for Filloni and I bet that he has a lot less influence over Disney with the tone of the show and how it's presented.

i was not a fan of continuous arks as well. if they stuck to 1 arch per season i think that would have been fine.
I don't think that the show has to be continuous like say, battle star galactica.

The clone wars wasn't continuous at all. Heck, a lot of those stories were told out of order. The show should have been called "tales of the clone wars"

But I don't think 22 minutes is long enough to tell an adventure story. Imagine if star trek or doctor who were all 22 minute long episodes.

That's why it often feels like "supply run of the week". By time they establish something, it feels like the episode is half over. Even if each season was 16 44 minute long episodes , I think we would really have something.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

i was excited for rebels tonight, until i released it was a repeat. wonder why its a rerun when the episode is clearly done? and its not like the shows air time was used up for something else because they showed the rerun... weird

Just because episodes are complete doesn't mean they air them. They probably have a lot of the season complete at this point. They have a schedule. Maybe the being Halloween weekend, they figured most of their audience would be out at parties. Who knows. But you can usually find the release dates for upcoming episodes at IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2930604/episodes?season=3&ref_=tt_eps_sn_3

never thought about the halloween thing, very good idea

never thought about the halloween thing, very good idea

You also have to consider that the TV season runs for longer than any show has episodes, so they have to consider how to release their episodes. If you release them one week after another for the entire season with no breaks then you're going to run out of episodes well before the season's over, which will most likely have an effect on your ratings. Then there's also things like sweeps to consider, this is a big week for networks and they like saving some of their best episodes for sweeps to maximize their exposure with advertisers, allowing them to charge top rates to air commercials during their shows.

Why is that these days? When I was kid, shows ran a whole entire season. The season started, you got one show per week, every week until the season was over. There were no reruns during the season, there was no mid-season break. Then in the summer you had the reruns.

Why is that these days? When I was kid, shows ran a whole entire season. The season started, you got one show per week, every week until the season was over. There were no reruns during the season, there was no mid-season break. Then in the summer you had the reruns.

No Mid Season finale crap either.

One of many reasons i'm tiring on this new turtles show is because of the long breaks it takes. it makes me think even nick doesn't really believe in it and is trying to bury it.
seems like it's working since the ratings decrease so much

I'm pretty sure that it's always been that way, the difference now a days being that shows have varying numbers of episodes per season with many shows running what amounts to a half season's worth of episodes. Another thing to consider is how you perceived things as a child, I'm sure that it just seemed like the shows ran the entire season when in reality they only ran part of the season. According to Wikipedia during the '80s (prior to cable) shows would have anywhere from 20 - 26 episodes a season and the season would typically run from September to March which is roughly 32 weeks, so even then they'd fall short and would have to space the episodes out.

According to the Wiki article that I was referring to above, now a days the season tends to extend up until May, adding another 2 months to the season, and you have the addition of the all important Sweeps Week where the networks typically want to air their best episode of the season. So, depending on what number episode it is they're going to have to space out their episodes in order to ensure that their best episode will air during Sweeps. Then there's other interruptions like the debates this year, the occasional special event program, or big sports events.

I think the rise of serialized television has also make us care more. When I was a kid, I watched my "show" everything it was on, whether it was a rerun or not.

Whereas now, once a season is done, I wait until next season

I think the rise of serialized television has also make us care more. When I was a kid, I watched my "show" everything it was on, whether it was a rerun or not.

Whereas now, once a season is done, I wait until next season

I also can't help but wonder if the quality originality of shows has dropped making us loose interest faster. so many reboots and re imaginings and retellings these days....nothing strikes our fancy as much. i was the same way. most show viewins are one and dones.

and i don't think it's because i'm getting older either

I think some of you guys need to lay off the member berries.

member-berries.jpg

I also can't help but wonder if the quality originality of shows has dropped making us loose interest faster. so many reboots and re imaginings and retellings these days....nothing strikes our fancy as much. i was the same way. most show viewins are one and dones.

and i don't think it's because i'm getting older either
I think the quality of TV is much higher, but because it's serialized, there's less reason to watch anything twice.

To me, stargate is the perfect series. It still has an overall arc, but it's episodic enough to watch over and over again. Even though I was a massive fan, I have no desire to watch nu galactica again.

Last edited:
eerrrrgggh i was so excited saturday... sitting at home on pain meds waiting for 8:30pm... then the rerun.. now today i have to start the long week all over again waiting for saturday :cry

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back