Star Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi (tv series)

When I think of 90's/early 2000's SW games the sound effects and the cutscenes are always the first things to come to mind. They're awesome and hilarious. I think someone posted the first or or something like it in a thread here(?) a while ago. I just came across it in again a search on youtube. It would be great if they re-used some of these in new content as a throw back.

And the cut scenes from Dark Forces...

Last edited:
The way I see it as much as I enjoy Red Letter Media, or many YouTube review channels they'll never be the end all be all of film criticism. While I've completely abandoned professional critics more than a decade ago because it's clear they're all bought and sold by the studios, even the YouTube channels aren't exempt from the same scrutiny. There's something to be said for having these channels being more objective, they too have created a cottage industry from outrage and it does get tiresome.

I still love RLM because their humor aligns so well with mine and unlike most YouTube channels like them, they are so self depreciating that I love them all the more. Ultimately I make up my own mind about movies.

I’m sorry, but having viewed enough of The Nerdrotic’s channel, over the past few years. I really throw that channel in with the larger “rage-based-content-for-clicks” camp that has become an unfortunate cottage industry on YouTube that depends upon a “darkness reaching out for the darkness” mentality that is part of the unfortunate pettiness and actual pleasure derived from perceived failure of execution by some of the fan base.

Yes, there really are fans who get satisfaction from seeing things fail and seek out YouTube content on that basis…it’s like NASCAR fans who show up to an event hoping only to see a crash or two versus a perfect race for all the participants.

Other commentators, such as the gang at RLM, The Critical Drinker, or Robert Meyer Burnett, are the types of commentators that I really see as fair and objective (with great touches of humor) in their evaluations and I will pull up a chair and listen to them if they have an opinion to express.

I have to agree with you there. Nerdrotic did not used to be not quite so negative. Saying the end saber battle is the worst is a little silly.

Positivity.

Even though I despise pretty much everything after Yub Nub there is a lot of parts I like.

First Ewoks Rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clonetroopers with Jango being the base very cool. It just sucked that it was all CGI.

Jango cool. Should have been harder to kill.

Palpatine always awesome. Just needed better story.

Ewan perfect for Obi-Wan, just not given much to work with.

Busted Death Star at end of ROS was cool and would have been awesome without Starkiller base.

Kylo and Rey's fight on busted Death Star was very cool. Ditch Finn yelling. Kylo was in total control and put her down until Mom distracted him.

Falcon flying through Superstar Destroyer in TFA, that whole scene, Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So yeah, even in something I hate I can find something to like.

Critical Drinker is cool because he puts out videos on movies he likes as much as stuff he hates.

Now there's a console I have not seen in a long time,.........a long time.

1656189746008.png

Last edited:
Can I be a 'young fart who loved LucasArts?' I was born in '93 so missed a lot of those. The early 2000s though.....*chef kiss*

I know that some people get really hung up on graphics and all. But I love going back and playing old games. Particularly if I've never played them before. If I have a few minutes to spare, I've been playing Dark Forces on my old PSP. (Though I have played that one through on my PC.)
Welcome aboard! Graphics mean less than many people think if the game is still good.
In 1993 I was playing Rebel Assault, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, and Sam & Max. Fun times. I wish LucasArts was still around. We'll see how LucasFilm games does. Couldn't be worse than EA.
They were wonderful! I was a biiiiiig X-wing series nerd. I sorely wish a proper successor to X-wing: Alliance would come out but I suspect it'll never happen. I know that Squadrons game came out a year or two ago but it seemed more arcadey than what I'd prefer.
There is nothing in canon to suggest Obi-Wan stayed on Tatooine for 20 years. In fact it would be kind of dumb as he could not literally watch Luke all the time.

There is in fact pure canon that Obi-Wan made some effort to save Anakin/Vader and bring him back. They missed a perfect chance in their final battle in the Obi-Wan series to tackle that.

Also, I gotta say, hate the series, but the battle between them was awesome. Too dark, yes. Boring setting, yes, but original in it was different and more rage filled. New and classic moves. I can't see how Nerdrotic and others can say it was the worst lightsaber duel ever. It was one of the best. Vader was pure rage and Obi-Wan was not a whipped, week punk. No clue how he got so strong after being so week. I also have to admit I got choked up at the end and my wife gets mad at me that I never cry.

The message in ANH from Leia does not mean she never knew him. She is being formal, concerned someone else might see it. Also not the time to reminisce. This was made while Stormies were taking everyone out on the Blockade Runner.

What makes it clear that she never knew him is her reaction after he dies in ANH. Luke is more upset than she is. She really has no personal reaction. You really can't suggest she knows this man.

You can stretch it so they can meet and no each other based on the R2 message, but not based on her reaction after he dies in ANH. She clearly did not know him.
I agree there is no direct evidence in the OT that Obi-wan stayed on Tatooine but for me, thematically it's just so much better if he had. Definitely more in line the the mythic qualities the films emulated, sacrificing 20 years of his life to watch over Luke. Also, I never thought he literally got up every morning and watched Luke all day but I do figure he would've stayed close enough and "available" to react quickly to any serious threats to Luke, should they arise. He obviously can't do that if he's on the other side of the galaxy.

That said, one of the only scenarios that I would've been okay with Obi-wan leaving would've been a motivation to attempt to bring Anakin back to the light. That would've been way more compelling for me personally, and it wouldn't have made Bail look like a moron. Sadly the show didn't touch on that at all, which is truly bizarre to me. We wasted so much time with Reva and rescuing Leia multiple times (even though I liked the depiction of Leia) and not enough time on the Vader/Kenobi side of things.

I frankly wasn't that blown away by the final duel but I did like the heartfelt exchanges at the end. If LFL insisted on doing this "epic rematch", the only logical outcomes would've been either for Kenobi to either make an attempt to save Anakin or conversely, accept what's happened and kill him. Of course, obviously, we know that Vader cannot be killed or redeemed at this point and so it now just looks weird that Obi-wan would just walk away and leave this menace to the galaxy unredeemed and alive. I personally also never had a problem with Obi-wan not being in his prime in this show as it now looks quite weird how far he went downhill in 10 years. He now goes from hurling boulders to awkwardly and barely holding his own against Vader on the DS. It could be argued that Vader was only toying with Obi-wan but Obi-wan's awkwardness is harder to explain away now.

Also, I totally agree about Leia not knowing Obi-wan. The show attempts to explain that they must act like they don't know each other, which I can buy to an extent, but it still looks weird that Leia doesn't react at all when her "old friend" is killed by Vader right in front of her.
I'm in! The other day, I was blown away by when I found out that LucasArts had practically invented the flight sim game and the first-person shooter back in the 1980's (do the flight-sim upside down, making the landscape into a cave ! ). And then their progression of point-and-click adventure games ... Oh man.
They were really great back in the day! They didn't have a ton of releases but there was a time when they did have one, you could pretty much bet it'd be good.

Still waiting on a modern version of: Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe.

Could you imagine the new Lucasfilm Games making a WWII flight sim these days? Lol!

Last edited:
I agree there is no direct evidence in the OT that Obi-wan stayed on Tatooine but for me, thematically it's just so much better if he had. Definitely more in line the the mythic qualities the films emulated, sacrificing 20 years of his life to watch over Luke. Also, I never thought he literally got up every morning and watched Luke all day but I do figure he would've stayed close enough and "available" to react quickly to any serious threats to Luke, should they arise. He obviously can't do that if he's on the other side of the galaxy.

That said, one of the only scenarios that I would've been okay with Obi-wan leaving would've been a motivation to attempt to bring Anakin back to the light. That would've been way more compelling for me personally, and it wouldn't have made Bail look like a moron. Sadly the show didn't touch on that at all, which is truly bizarre to me. We wasted so much time with Reva and rescuing Leia multiple times (even though I liked the depiction of Leia) and not enough time on the Vader/Kenobi side of things.

I frankly wasn't that blown away by the final duel but I did like the heartfelt exchanges at the end. If LFL insisted on doing this "epic rematch", the only logical outcomes would've been either for Kenobi to either make an attempt to save Anakin or conversely, accept what's happened and kill him. Of course, obviously, we know that Vader cannot be killed or redeemed at this point and so it now just looks weird that Obi-wan would just walk away and leave this menace to the galaxy unredeemed and alive. I personally also never had a problem with Obi-wan not being in his prime in this show as it now looks quite weird how far he went downhill in 10 years. He now goes from hurling boulders to awkwardly and barely holding his own against Vader on the DS. It could be argued that Vader was only toying with Obi-wan but Obi-wan's awkwardness is harder to explain away now.

Also, I totally agree about Leia not knowing Obi-wan. The show attempts to explain that they must act like they don't know each other, which I can buy to an extent, but it still looks weird that Leia doesn't react at all when her "old friend" is killed by Vader right in front of her.

Yes (y)

Ya know that is actually the only line the "Grand Inquisitor" had that I liked. I love how the guy playing him cared so little he did not watch rebels.

While I am on that subject why in the hell not get the amazing Jason Isaacs back to actually play him. He has a nice normal size head so they could make him actually look like the Grand Inquisitor and,...oh yeah,..he's Jason Frigghin Isaacs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are a few evil people in the world I have to admit are worse than KK. Three I think.

I love Ewoks. No joke. I really do.
Somewhat unrelated to the show, but I’m rewatching ROTJ (despecialized, of course) and honestly? I’m not minding the Ewoks as much. I think it really only turns sour for me when the Ewoks start getting involved in the action themselves, which is also the point in which Harrison and Carrie’s performance dip the hardest. If the Ewoks were portrayed as being more just distraction rather than enemy combatants, Han and Leia acted more like adults not suffering from concussions, and we got a bit more of a serious action setpiece with the Rebel forces (who all mysteriously disappear as soon as the Ewoks show up), I’d sincerely enjoy the Endor stuff a lot more.

As another side note, I’ve heard that George wanted Spielberg to direct ROTJ but couldn’t as he (Lucas) was in hot water with the Directors or Screenwriters Guild? All I’m thinking this whole time watching is how much I’d love the action scenes in ROTJ if they were shot like the Raiders truck chase or the tank sequence from Crusade. But I digress.

Ya know that is actually the only line the "Grand Inquisitor" had that I liked. I love how the guy playing him cared so little he did not watch rebels.

While I am on that subject why in the hell not get the amazing Jason Isaacs back to actually play him. He has a nice normal size head so they could make him actually look like the Grand Inquisitor and,...oh yeah,..he's Jason Frigghin Isaacs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are a few evil people in the world I have to admit are worse than KK. Three I think.
The performance, in some ways, reminded me of a person trying to play off a vampire accent. “Thud Sistuuuh…”

Somewhat unrelated to the show, but I’m rewatching ROTJ (despecialized, of course) and honestly? I’m not minding the Ewoks as much. I think it really only turns sour for me when the Ewoks start getting involved in the action themselves, which is also the point in which Harrison and Carrie’s performance dip the hardest. If the Ewoks were portrayed as being more just distraction rather than enemy combatants, Han and Leia acted more like adults not suffering from concussions, and we got a bit more of a serious action setpiece with the Rebel forces (who all mysteriously disappear as soon as the Ewoks show up), I’d sincerely enjoy the Endor stuff a lot more.

As another side note, I’ve heard that George wanted Spielberg to direct ROTJ but couldn’t as he (Lucas) was in hot water with the Directors or Screenwriters Guild? All I’m thinking this whole time watching is how much I’d love the action scenes in ROTJ if they were shot like the Raiders truck chase or the tank sequence from Crusade. But I digress.

You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you.

Ewoks rule!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel they work because they used their native terrain as a tactical advantage against the Empire, so they were smart in that regard. They also serve the same thematic purpose that Wookies would. My guess is the main objection is that they're cute. But to each their own.

I feel they work because they used their native terrain as a tactical advantage against the Empire, so they were smart in that regard. They also serve the same thematic purpose that Wookies would. My guess is the main objection is that they're cute. But to each their own.
It’s more that, consistently, they’re played for laughs, and their weapons (big giant AT-ST crushing logs aside) shouldn’t hardly scratch a person in a t-shirt, let alone “an entire legion of [the emperor’s] best men” who are all wearing armor. That segment of the movie just doesn’t have the same tension as Luke’s battle or the space battle, which makes it feel sillier than it actually is by comparison. All the same, watching it through this time I wasn’t as bothered by it. Maybe it’s knowing that there is (a lot of) far sillier and cheaper and more poorly-written Star Wars that came after it. Who knows.

Maybe it’s just me learning to appreciate some things, warts and all, a little more as time passes. I’ve never much cared for Temple of Doom, for instance, and everyone crapped on Crystal Skull when it was released, but over the last year or two I’ve gained a better appreciation for both films. Well, in the case of Crystal Skull, more the second act before they get back to the hammy writing and CGI jungle, but still.

What do I know, though, I’m “jaded and cynical” and incapable of “just enjoying things”.

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread again. I’ll see myself out. ✌️

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back