Star Wars movie set den build

These are waay cool. When you first showed the falcon cockpit idea, I thought you were going to do a sort-of modified "bay window" cockpit thing...

Who hangs common curtains in a Star Wars room? Not me. This thing will hang over the existing room window, covering the "real" window frame and all. At the edges, it will attach magnetically, for safety, in case of fire. If someone has to exit through a window, they need to be able to pull this down in a hurry.

Here, the window covering has been primered with Kilz2 Latex primer, then coated with light gray latex semigloss.
attachment.php

I will next attempt to paint all the rest of the details on the frame. It will be 3 shades of gray and black, virtually matching the onscreen version. I can't decide whether to attach bundles of simulated wires and doodads to it, like in the movie version, or to just approximate them with paint. What would you do? :confused

I can't decide whether to attach bundles of simulated wires and doodads to it, like in the movie version, or to just approximate them with paint. What would you do? :confused

Since you are trying to approximate with a 2D surface what was in actuality a 3D piece, I can see where putting the "doodads" on this piece
may make it look busy and out of proportion to the original you're trying to replicate. Maybe some light detailing with paint.(?) That's just my thought...

Hmm, studying these colors and shading printouts. Getting ready to paint in 2D to make it look 3D. I've got the paint, but not sure I have the 3D skills!
attachment.php

Wish me luck!

Hmm, studying these colors and shading printouts. Getting ready to paint in 2D to make it look 3D. I've got the paint, but not sure I have the 3D skills!

Wish me luck!

You don't seem to have had any problems with the rest of the affair; I'm sure you'll do great things with this. :cool:thumbsup

The first color is on, the medium gray. So far I think it looks like a window, but at this stage it looks like a CARTOON of a window. :facepalm It may get better. Let's see how the darker gray layer looks tomorrow night after it goes on.
attachment.php

See the printouts taped to the wall? My Dad was a signpainter and he always taped some patterns near his work as he painted. It helps to have that visual guide as you go. It also helps to stop once in a while. Step back from the work a few feet and gaze at it. Hmmmm.

I'm sure it'll look fantastic once the painting it's finished.
I always worry half way through a paint job, but the nearer completion things get, the better they look :)

The floor of my lighted step platform has vibrating transducers. They are ideal to use when playing video games for that extra "punch". Here is a silly test video I made of them. I attempt to vibrate a water glass with a Star Wars sound effect.
VIDEO: Bass Shaker speaker test

Another color has been added today. The more shades of gray I add, the more realistic it starts to look? I have attached some shading guides to the wall. This will take a few refinements to get it to look right.
attachment.php

I slipped out to Lowe's and picked up these magnetic catches. Fourteen of these will hold the MF cockpit window to the room window frame. I have pictured two of these sets sitting on my MF desk. I have not shown you the desk yet which resembles the cockpit control panels. The desk is my daily computer keyboarding work surface, about 8 feet wide, a secret for now. ;)
attachment.php

More details have been added to the window. These are 7 shades on it so far. The "window gaskets" are painted on now, and they really helped give it some 3D definition. I plan to straighten some lines out and revise it until it looks right.
attachment.php

Any suggestions?

That's "Darth Bunny" sitting in the chair. He's the ONLY officially licensed Star Wars thing I own. I'm not a toy or poster collector - on purpose. Why? In the past, I went totally overboard accumulating muscle car memorabilia and Burger Chef memorabilia and I had enough of the clutter.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back