Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

If it wasn't by EA, I would actually be excited but then there's this:

So.... This doesn't look like it brings anything new to the table that wasn't already in The Force Unleashed that came out over 10 years ago. :sleep:

Pass.

SB

Which I agree with completely. I really got that feeling too and that also turns me off. Except the powers and abilities do some more "reasonable" this time around...so far.

Apparently, lightsabre combat is more "tactical" in that you have to actually decide which swings and abilities to use against enemies to best effect.

Which still isn't really a huge leap from Jedi Outcast where you had to manage different attacks and stances, and could try to use your abilities at certain times.

They said at E3 that this game will not have lightsaber dismemberment. Almost every modern SW game has had it along with the movies. Supposedly they said it's so they get a T rating, even though I'm pretty sure TFU and every other modern SW game has had that. Maybe Disney involvment? I watched the original SW when I was 3 and wasn't scared by the cut off arm!

I am excited and will play this game ASAP for 1 reason. It stars Cameron Monahan, and he's a phenomenal talent. Joker Jedi. And hey, it's a new star wars story, they're like pokemon. Gotta catch em all. I may let em go but at least a playthrough.

I saw the gameplay trailer at E3 and it looked slightly better than the ST. But the ST has brought the worst movie of all time, so slightly better is far away from good. I think it'll suck. Won't buy it on release and if the player reviews are like I think they'll be I won't touch it at all.

Man, that's too bad. I remember typing in the cheat-code on Jedi Outcast so that you could slice 'n dice stormies all day long...

SB

Man, that's too bad. I remember typing in the cheat-code on Jedi Outcast so that you could slice 'n dice stormies all day long...

SB

Yeah, taht was fun at times, but the problem was that you had to set the variable to the right level or you'd just, like, touch a trooper with your blade and they'd explode into their component parts. I liked it when you would more just cut off an arm or a head or something, instead of bisecting them entirely.

SB

I'm replaying it right now. On one hand, it's still super fun using that code (or not) and killing Stormtroopers, deflecting lasers, etc. On the other, you still feel like you're just swinging randomly to get a hit, even though you control the type of strike. What I mean is you aren't really seeing what the enemy does and then using a strike to counteract it. A few times you can do that, but overall it's just random. I'm not a huge "OMG the graphics are dated" person, but it is really starting to show its age. I'm also pretty sure, though it's been awhile, that that realistic combat code also makes it easier for the enemy to kill you with their lightsaber. Tavion diced me up a few times when I fought her.

I was never able to get the hang of lightsaber combat in Jedi Outcast. Too frenetic. Still fun though.

I've always wanted to see the Arkham style of combat tried with lightsabers.

Last edited:
I was never able to get the hang of lightsaber combat in Jedi Outcast. Too frenetic. Still fun though.

I've always wanted to see the Arkham style of combat tried with lightsabers.

Oh man, that'd be GREAT! Albeit, you'd still need a good story and underlying game. But yes, an Arkham style open world combat game but set in the Star Wars universe? Please and thank you!

As for the Jedi Outcast combat, the first thing you have to realize is that the combat models themselves were seriously different between SP and MP. SP combat was far more cinematic, had more things like automatic blocks (as I recall, anyway), and your "special" moves tended to be more showstopping. MP combat was basically designed to be kids swinging glowing whiffle bats around at each other, and it went through some HORRIBLE patches before it eventually leveled out.

I played a fair bit of the MP combat and was pretty involved in one of the online communities surrounding the game, and I remember some of this stuff vividly. There always seemed to be a single "best" move that was both unblockable and basically a one-hit kill. For a while it was the "red" style's death-from-above jump attack. Then, oddly, it became the backstab move that you could do in, I think, "yellow" style. That led to a period of the game where it was dominated by "ass-masters," aka people running around backwards the whole game just on the off chance they could execute the backstab move. You also had people who wrote macros for the game so they could hit a button and execute a series of moves with zero delay (e.g., turn 180, hit "back," and execute the special attack all with a single button press).

Frankly, I never liked the MP sabre combat because it just...made no sense. You were supposed to have a largely weightless omnidirectional blade which could only be blocked effectively by a LOT of mass, another sabre, or specially treated armor which was only marginally effective. And yet, the game made it seem like if you swung slower and "harder" (which -- think about it -- DOESN'T MAKE SENSE), you'd hit harder and cause more damage, whereas light taps would cause less damage. The whole underlying design would've been more at home in some medieval combat game where each weapon was different (e.g. "red" style was a giant maul, "yellow" style was a longsword, and "blue" style was a rapier). But they mushed it all together in the lightsabre.

I don't remember the combat itself all that clearly, but to my recollection, TFU didn't do a lot better. Nobody has ever released a game commercially that gets lightsabre combat "right" in my opinion. I doubt they'll start now. I'm not even sure it's possible at this point.

I remember playing MP and there was always one person spamming the strong style special attack. Then another time a guy was kicking people then spinning around and doing the back attack. I still loved MP though! I played tons of CTF in that game.

I'm replaying it right now. On one hand, it's still super fun using that code (or not) and killing Stormtroopers, deflecting lasers, etc. On the other, you still feel like you're just swinging randomly to get a hit, even though you control the type of strike. What I mean is you aren't really seeing what the enemy does and then using a strike to counteract it. A few times you can do that, but overall it's just random. I'm not a huge "OMG the graphics are dated" person, but it is really starting to show its age. I'm also pretty sure, though it's been awhile, that that realistic combat code also makes it easier for the enemy to kill you with their lightsaber. Tavion diced me up a few times when I fought her.

Make sure you've got dynamic glow turned on. Oh the lightsabers are beautiful. Also you should hit up jkhub for some mods!

Make sure you've got dynamic glow turned on. Oh the lightsabers are beautiful. Also you should hit up jkhub for some mods!

I think dynamic glow is turned on.... :unsure:

Nope nope.... THERE we go!!! :p

I finished it last night. I gotta say I still love Kyle telling Desann that his Reborn are being mopped up by real Jedi. I would love another sequel, but I doubt Lucasfilm will ever go back to any of the classic SW games.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back