Star Wars Identities 2021 Singapore Exhibition

I took a few nkg. They were from the Sydney exhibit and can be found here.

Thank you. :)

This R2 is extremely interesting!
It also has a middle leg, dome from the ANH trench run with door for mechanical grasper, restraining bolt, ANH ankles, round skirt, and extended booster covers.

Yes - you see the same head when R2 walks into the escape pod. It does have the third leg, manually retractable, seen in the behind the scenes photos of setting up the Yavin base data download scene.

The best probably being the Kenny operated unit at the Smithsonian.

I believe the Smithsonian’s Kenny is an ESB droid .

I really enjoyed the exhibit. It was just a real shame the big Falcon was missing.

And I a now regretting not taking more pics of all the models. Facepalm!

Same here. I really wished the five foot Falcon had been included!

As promised, I have uploaded the other pics to the same OneDrive folder.

Magnificent! Thanks for sharing that stuff, Bjorn! Okay to mention it to some R2-oriented groups?

Also it's a shame the right shoulder is so hard to photograph in that setup. I didn't get any decent shots of it either. Great to see the photos of the underside with the ILM detailing.

Magnificent! Thanks for sharing that stuff, Bjorn! Okay to mention it to some R2-oriented groups?

Mention away mate. They are in the wild now.

So long as we can all agree that an R5 has no dome. Its a head, or truncated cone at best people!!!!!!! - (ridiculous rant over....)

Here is another walkthrough video posted today, what is interesting about this one is at the end you can see the Hasbro merch for sale.

omg Bjorn got a side view of the crap on the back of the jedi communicator!

also, thank you in advance for lightsaber and blaster photos

Judging by the comments, the consensus seems to be this: take multiple, in-depth photos of everything.
Yes. There is a way to take pictures that are helpful for reproduction though and it's different from just getting any and all pictures.

If I could go the way I would plan my photo's would be this for photogrammetry/3d modeling

- long lens for less lens distortion. Also photogrammetry can't work with pictures that use zoom
- Orthographic photo's. Front/both sides/top/bottom/3 quarter. Try and level out the angle as even as possible when possible.
- Overlapping pictures with 70/80% overlap
- Lens polarizer for glare reduction on reflective objects

I could spend 2 weeks in that exhibit

Good pics looking up around the base of the head/neck of the EV-9D9 would be great! Anything showing the undersides of that head from any direction would be most helpful.

Good clear shots along the trench of the Star Destroyer would add to some of the somewhat blurry (i.e., too shallow a depth of field) shots that are already out there on the web.

Most helpful in any case for any of these photos would be to include a nice pure white sheet of paper or card stock in the field of view, illuminated to the best extent possible by the same lighting (on average) as the actual prop/model being photographed. That'll allow for proper white balancing. I always carry a white/gray/black card with me for exhibits like this...

Thanks!

Dan

I got curious took the falcon pictures Bjorn posted and ran them through agisoft. I got enough of a scan to use as a template for measurements and plane changes. It's a bad scan to most, but if you know how to use it as reference this is invaluable since it's impossible to get a perfect orthographic from the top of the falcon.

falcon.jpg

Excellent, photogrammetry solve janglesworthy!
This is exactly the reason why I took those pics!

Aspiring to build a 5 footer myself and as mentioned previously I was disappointed that it was not in the exhibition, I figured I would take some pics of the ESB 32" bird just in case I was one day tempted to have a go at making a replica of my own.

Members, Joshua Maruska (Maruska) and Andre Bustanoby (vfxsup64) have already produced a great drawing of both models derived from the same process. Having a solve like this really helps with placement of parts and size and shape of things.

And if you start to model a few original digital kit donors, well.... Things start to become clear.

I love the costumes and art, but I really enjoy the characters and robots hence the type of photos.
I don't think I spent much time on the weapons as I probably thought they had been well documented, but I have not really delved into that yet, so I wouldn't know.

I also wanted to capture the battle droid for the same reason.

Camera was an Iphone8 but you can probably already tell when you imported the pics to agisoft.

Best regards!

Last edited:
yeah the cool thing is, every year our lowest quality level increases with each generation of new phone. I posted the scan so people could have some kind of reference for what is possible with the least ammount of pictures and coverage with low quality pictures. So from here you can figure out how to improve your chances of getting a higher quality scan.

It's 2021 the technology and tools that are available now have been around for the last decade, but with the release over the last 9 months of larger faster cheaper resin printers. It's time to step it up and take advantage of them to produce all those things you never thought possible. I say resin printers because they solve several large issues.

janglesworthy, Are you referring to the helmet on the full costume mannequin, or the unmasked helmet?

I think I have a few of the unmasked helmet from the MOM tour.

janglesworthy, Are you referring to the helmet on the full costume mannequin, or the unmasked helmet?

I think I have a few of the unmasked helmet from the MOM tour.
the unmasked helmet, theres one other new flickr album with smaller pics that also has a great side reference from the singapore exhibit that is very level. It's just not worth posting the album the rest of the pics are alright.

Was the MOM tour the last tour around 2012ish? there's never enough pics to look at I'll check them all out

I was mistaken, the pictures I had were from Where Science Meets Imagination in Sydney.

The Vader ones that I took can be found here.
Not the best quality.

We were fortunate to have the Magic of Myth in Sydney in 2002-2003, and then Where Science Meets Imagination in 2008-2009, and Identities in 2018-2019, I think.

I was mistaken, the pictures I had were from Where Science Meets Imagination in Sydney.

The Vader ones that I took can be found here.
Not the best quality.

We were fortunate to have the Magic of Myth in Sydney in 2002-2003, and then Where Science Meets Imagination in 2008-2009, and Identities in 2018-2019, I think.
That's awesome, it's really good reference. You ever go crazy on taking pics of the jedi belts?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back