Limited Run Star Wars Ep VII Force Awakens Captain Phasma helmet (First Finished Helmet P9!)

Did you use the Spaztix aerosol mirror chrome or the airbrush paint? Sorry for dumb questions but is there a reason for spraying high gloss black before chrome paint and does the chrome adhere to the gloss black ok?

Also did you use a Spaztix branded clear coat paint?

Thanks in advance mate

Got my helmet in the mail today and I am BLOWN AWAY!

I'm glad you like it. I'm really happy with the final weathered look of these guys.

Did you use the Spaztix aerosol mirror chrome or the airbrush paint? Sorry for dumb questions but is there a reason for spraying high gloss black before chrome paint and does the chrome adhere to the gloss black ok?

Also did you use a Spaztix branded clear coat paint?

Thanks in advance mate

I used the Spazstix aerosol on these. You can get it here: LINK

The chrome finish will only be as good as the basecoat it's applied over. So if the black basecoat isn't perfectly shiny and smooth, the chrome won't come out perfectly shiny and smooth. You can use gloss white or silver, but the best results seem to come from black.

The clearcoat I used was an automotive clearcoat. You don't want to to use a spraycan for this because the high solvent content in aerosol cans will eat the chrome and undo much of the hard work. Instead, I've been using an HVLP gun to spray on the lowest VOC clearcoat that they carry at my local auto paint supply shop.

So that's that. I'm still making progress on the next handful of finished helmets and they should be ready to pack up and ship by the end of the weekend.

If anyone else wants in on this run, please post here and I'll PM you with the details.

The clearcoat I used was an automotive clearcoat... The lowest VOC clearcoat that they carry at my local auto paint supply shop.

I asked about low VOC clearcoat in our local auto supply shop, and got a "Just what you see, buddy!" answer from the guy behind the counter. Shawn, oh guru of all things RPF-y, what was the value of yours if I can ask? Want to try and match it as best I can :D

please pm for me a finished helmet!

PM Sent

I thought I was on the original run but may be mistaken? Please pm me when you get a chance. Thanks!

PM Sent.

Is this still going? I want in for a finished version!

PM Sent.

I asked about low VOC clearcoat in our local auto supply shop, and got a "Just what you see, buddy!" answer from the guy behind the counter. Shawn, oh guru of all things RPF-y, what was the value of yours if I can ask? Want to try and match it as best I can :D

The clearcoat that I used was Nason SelectClear (468-00) and the Med. Temp. Activator 483-84. Here's the data sheet for it: http://www.axaltacs.com/content/dam/NA/HQ/Public/Nason/Documents/TDS/NSN-TDS-468-00-Eng.pdf.

Christmas came early. Beautiful piece of work. Thank You Shawn!

Thank you, sir. I'm really proud of these.

If anybody else would like to get in on this run, please post here and I'll PM you with payment info.

I should mention that if you want a finished helmet and you haven't already sent me a deposit, it won't get to you this month. I'm still getting the kit version ready to ship within a few days of receiving the initial deposit.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back