Star Wars Card Games and others

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Raptor98, Jan 13, 2018.

1. ibspitfire

ibspitfire Active Member

Was this constructed with binder's board? That was the route I was considering, having some experience in book binding and building boxes for said books. My other concern was finding an acceptable leather that wasn't too thick, how did you remedy that?

2. Marviana Jones

Marviana Jones Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's a 3D printed part. I painted the front in tan and wrapped 1mm cow leather around it. :) In a few days, I should have a new version.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  3. LordGalaxian

LordGalaxian New Member

How about tamale husks?

4. LordGalaxian

LordGalaxian New Member

So here are the rules as far as i understand them. We still haven't really agreed on how the Sabacc Pot is won so I did not include it.
    This is a quick sketch of what a instruction book would probably look like.

Instructions.PNG

5. LordGalaxian

LordGalaxian New Member

So I gave the game a test run with the rules I posted above, I basically played everyone's hands for them. I must say the game is pretty fun and it works pretty well. The only edit I would make to the game is don't roll the dice on the last betting round because then you're stuck with that random hand when its time to show your cards, that doesn't make much sense IMO. btw that Sabacc Pot grows really big!!

SabaccGameplay2.jpg

sabaccGameplay.jpg

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  6. Joeytodts

Joeytodts New Member

The14thDr likes this.
  7. KalElKenobi1138

KalElKenobi1138 New Member

Do you have an editable version of that? Or is that the rules from the Hasbro game? I'd like to make additions and corrections to get it as close to the rules of Sabacc from the EU as possible because I think the Hasbro version is way too dumbed down and doesn't allow from the Idiot's Array and the Straight Staves hand

Marviana Jones and The14thDr like this.
  8. Marviana Jones

I think I have some news about my Sabacc case in the next days :)

9. Marviana Jones

I will print the brown part via Shapeways in white strong & flexible. The red part is laser cut 3mm plastic sheet. So the costs for the case are very small. :) Then comes a little bit painting and the leather. I will order the brown part via Shapeways this week. :)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Djblingbling1, The14thDr and TB-7021 like this.
  10. TB-7021

TB-7021 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

11. Aliaz

Aliaz New Member

Nice to have confirmation! :)

12. KalElKenobi1138

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  13. Culoph

Culoph New Member

EDIT: Shoot. TB already posted that.

Attached Files:

The14thDr likes this.
  14. LordGalaxian

LordGalaxian New Member

It was a screen capture of what I made, its meant to be more of a model of what an instruction book might look like, there have been others below who have made more official versions of it.

15. LordGalaxian

LordGalaxian New Member

The rules you made are almost great, but the rules have a lot of classic Sabacc in it, for example, in the book you put 23 or -23 as the winning hand, but in this version a winning hand is 0.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm a big fan of the rules posted on the open doc, I'll give them a test run. But if we can all agree on them, we can make an official printable instruction sheet for everyone to have.

EDIT:

After giving the rules posted by TB-7027 a test run, I'm fully on board with making those rules final.

So after playing the game myself I had a few questions/ideas for the game.

I don't think we have agreed on how the Sabacc Pot is won, and I think it's probably a little late to bring up, but I don't think there is even a Sabacc pot in Corellian Spike at all, in the movie there is only ever one pot on the table, not 2. Maybe we should consider taking that out unless we can find an official source saying that there is indeed a Sabacc Pot. Anyhow, if we do include it I like the idea of it being won if a player wins with a 0 hand including a Sylop.

After reading up on the rules again, I'm just a little confused about how the betting phase is supposed to work, as I understand it, players can make bets at anytime.
    To be clear, when do players make bets exactly?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    TB-7021 and scoobz like this.
  16. Byroson89

Byroson89 New Member

The visual guide to solo says there are 2 pots. Also in regards to people saying this is the "new canon version of sabacc" and not the real version......sabacc is still sabacc. The old version is still canon. It talks about them playing in the books. This is just Coreillian Spike variant of Sabacc. Therefore, I want to try and figure out a deck of cards that work for both games...and quite possibly for pazaak as well.

Chris92 likes this.
  17. disneyjedi87

disneyjedi87 New Member

Haha. I was just about to post about this. I’ve been checking Leland Chee’s Twitter sporadically to see if the question came up. Yay Story Group.

18. KalElKenobi1138

Thank you. the EU version has Pure Sabacc set at +/-23 and in those versions the Sabacc Pot is won only with an Idiots Array or Pure Sabacc. I think TB-7027's rules should have the Sabacc Pot being won by the Sylop Spike, Full Sabacc, and Straight Staves hands.

TB-7021 and Chris92 like this.
  19. disneyjedi87

disneyjedi87 New Member

I know the visual guide says the Sabacc pot was won with a score of zero, but I feel that comes up much easier then the 23 of traditional. I imagine the placement of special hands would best out any tie.

TB-7021 likes this.
  20. Scratch

Scratch New Member

I added page numbers (useful for those who wish to print these out). Also, I'm not sure if I agree with adding the rule about discarding a card without first taking a card from the draw pile or the discard pile (Draw Phase 2.d.). That seems too easy to get yourself closer to a zero and contradicts the rules in the Han Solo Card Game (which seems to be the basis for this version of Sabacc).

21. LordGalaxian

LordGalaxian New Member

Well you can’t discard until you already drew a card, you have to have 3 cards before you can discard one.

22. Scratch

Scratch New Member

Yes, but the "Han Solo Card Game" rules don't allow you to discard at all unless you first pick up a card from the discard or draw pile. The shared Google Doc indicates that you can discard a card without drawing one so long as you have 3+ cards in your hand. I prefer the official HSCG game rules, which provides a more risk/reward scenario every time you pick a card. If you can just discard cards without taking one, it's much easier to get a zero (albeit with lesser cards).

TB-7021's version of the rules seem to favor the HSCG approach as well.

23. TB-7021

My intention is to keep that rule in. You can't discard a card without first drawing one. I might have to rephrase that in the doc.

24. TB-7021

Wait, someone has edited the doc without leaving a note. I've added a comment to that line in the doc...

25. Muddler

Muddler Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi! While the rules look really good so far regarding the gameplay, I still got some problems with the ranking.
    I don't know if a Sylop should be mandatory for any hand (except the "Sylop Spike", of course)
    Thus I would call a total of zero with four cards of the same value a "Full Sabacc".
    In case of a draw, a hand with an additional Sylop will always beat an identical hand without one. This would still be canon with the movie (as it explains, why in either game the player with the Sylop wins), yet would be a more consistent way of ranking the hands (imo).
    Would really like to hear your opinions on that one!

As for the pots: The movie as well as the HSCG don't seem to mention any different types of pots. So I'd be fine with a single pot like traditional Poker.
    This would also relieve us from the problem of defining the special hands for the Sabacc-Pot.

(P. S. I haven't done any edits in the doc yet! Wanted to discuss the issue with you guys first!)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  26. Byroson89

Byroson89 New Member

The two pots wouldn't be a problem with full sabacc being the defined absolute zero. Or sylop spike being defined as absolute zero. That would allow the big pot to be won once or twice a game. That could turn the tide for a player down on their luck because the pot could be so big that they could be the dominant player by time they won it.

27. TB-7021

@Muddler, I agree on the ranking, there are still some problems there. Not sure if we should take the Sylop out of the Full Sabacc.

Maybe a Sabacc is the same as a Full Sabacc, but without the Sylop? Where do we position the Straits in the ranking?

After some playtesting I do believe the Sabacc pot works. The Visual Dictonary says that when you win a round with a value of zero, you get the Sabacc pot. This worked yesterday while play testing.

I've added these comments to the doc as well:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IhfjjY2htHlR-wshdWWET-S6SNcHnrR6tUkapG05Oy0/edit

28. Muddler

Ah! You're right! The Dictionary clearly mentions the Sabacc-Pot!
    OK, so if playtesting shows that a total of zero is also practically a good condition for winning the Sabacc pot - that's cool!

But shouldn't we then also call any total of zero a "Sabacc"? This would be consistent with the "Original Sabacc Rules"...

I know we still got the problem with ranking the hands.
    I guess the Straight should be ranked higher than any "unordered Sabacc". Therefore "Straight Staves" can simply be seen as the highest form of a Straight. (In case of multiple Straights you simply rank them by their highest card). Now that we know, that the "10" is the face card with the lance-like patterns this might be the reason for this being called "Staves". (instead of being confused with the suit of classic Sabacc)

The mentioned "Full Sabacc" is a little harder, though. I don't know if they were trying to reference the hand to the "Full House" in Poker. Maybe that's why they were trying to combine five cards for this hand (which would actually give support to your version of including the Sylop as a mandatory part of this hand).

It's really hard to decide...
    Other people's thoughts on that issue?

29. Bryght

Bryght New Member

Just an odd thought. What about the suits (triangles, squares, circles)? Would an on-suit hand beat an equal off-suit hand?

I suspect the only reason we haven't seen mention of it is because the Hasbro game only has triangles, but it could help to reduce the possibility of a draw.

30. TB-7021

It is hard indeed, would love to hear more ideas on this.

Could be, story group said there are a lot more hands we haven't seen.

31. LordGalaxian

LordGalaxian New Member

After looking at the discussion I think the hands on the doc are fine, the Full Sabacc is called "Full" because it has 2 zero pairs AND a sylop. The regular Sabacc hand should stay, and definitely still include the Sylop.

And of course a Sylop added to any of the hands will make it better, assuming there is room for a 5th card. But for example, a Straight Staves including a Sylop would still not be as good as any of the hands above it.

Now, if you want to consider Suits in the ranking, things could get really complicated, so I think it's best to leave them out. What do you all think?

32. Bryght

Bryght New Member

I was mostly thinking it would serve as another tiebreaker that could be applied before the extra draw rule. Only comes into effect if there are two hands that are otherwise exactly the same value.

33. Bryght

Bryght New Member

Another question for anyone who has playtested. What's the highest number of players that can play from one deck?

I'm trying to get an idea of how many chips I need for a table based on the distribution I have set up (40x5credit, 12/16x25credit, 5/4x100credit; 1000credit total)

34. LordGalaxian

LordGalaxian New Member

I've done a lot of play testing, and i must say the game is really fun and the rules work great. Anyways, i think a maximum of 8 players including the dealer would be fine. After all, about that many people were at the table when Han and Lando were playing Sabacc!

35. Muddler

I also think this would be the most natural way of playing it out. A single-suit-hand should surely beat an identical hand of "mixed suits" without applying the draw rule (which I don't like too much anyway).
    The ranking of hands should be so logical and consistent that there's practically no need applying the draw-rule. It should stay in the rules, of course! But only to be applied in very rare occasions.

36. Culoph

Culoph New Member

Guys, although I'm sure this was never in question, I just wanted to point out that the canonicity of the Rebels/Anaheim version of sabacc is reaffirmed in the Star Wars Annual 2019. (It's not supposed to be out yet, but can be obtained via Amazon.de). Having a version of this one too would definitely be nice.

Sabacc (Annual) 1.jpg Sabacc (Annual) 2.jpg

generalvenduu likes this.
  37. ibspitfire

ibspitfire Active Member

Currently developing rules to Pazaak played with the 62 card Sabacc deck. Will type up my notes in the morning and share them with you all!

Can't wait to hear your thoughts

IB

Echo Seven likes this.
  38. Byroson89

Byroson89 New Member

I'm actually designing a Sabacc deck as well that will be for Sabacc, Spike, and Pazaak. What I was going to do is each player has their own deck of 23 cards. You would shuffle each other's decks and then swap. Then deal yourself 10 cards. Then you would pick 4 from the 10 to play with.

39. ibspitfire

ibspitfire Active Member

40. Byroson89

Byroson89 New Member

The only problem with this is that pazaak hand deck cars don't go over the value of 6,-6, + / - 6 and then you have special cars that flip the sign of twos and fours, threes and sixes, you have a tiebreaker card, and you have a doubles card.

That's why the deck that I'm designing is going to have 86 cards. 40 for the table deck. 23 for each player to have a random hand deck delt. The cars will also be valued for traditional sabacc. Saying how it uses 76 cards. do you know the college would be the special cars that I mentioned for pazaak and would be removed while playing Sabacc. also the cars would have a value on them for corellian Spike

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  41. ibspitfire

ibspitfire Active Member

Right, I understand with a full Pazaak deck you have a variety of +/- cards, flip 2s and 4s cards, tiebreaker cards, etc.

This set of rules was developed to be played with the cards I had, being 62 Sabacc cards. My aim is to basically to streamline down some of the aspects of the game i.e side decks provided by the player, maybe even the flip cards; the deck quickly becomes rather large and crowded, in my opinion. I'm trying to be true to the spirit of the game.

And anyway, I'm sure the game has changed a little bit since the Old Republic :lol it's a work in progress, I'm going to start working on some cards I think based off the Dead Man's Binspo/TFA Sabacc cards. I'm rambling, but I like the idea that one deck of cards can be used for multiple games (like a real deck of poker cards).

IB

42. Byroson89

Byroson89 New Member

The same. I also wanted a full Sabacc deck so I decided to work on one that would do all 3. Who knows....I might do a few different rules with the deck too and call it something different and it could be a Sabacc Variant. I plan on having dice made with it and maybe some betting chips/tokens.

43. Bryght

Bryght New Member

TB-7021, any chance you could provide the measurements of the cards? A coworker of mine has an idea for another style of deck box.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  44. Echo Seven

Echo Seven New Member

In TB's project run thread, the first post has the card dimensions listed.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

45. phantom73

phantom73 New Member

Just found this thread...you guys still printing these? They look awesome! Makes me regret having bought the Han Solo ones...

46. Bryght

Bryght New Member

47. JPHFanEdits

JPHFanEdits New Member

Anyone here have a high quality versions of each card face and the back? I’m wanting to make my own Sabaac cards and I don’t wanna go through the trouble of making my own cards if I don’t have to.

48. disneyjedi87

disneyjedi87 New Member

Downloaded Solo last night on digital and one of the features was on Fort Ypso and they had a small segment on Sabacc. I was gonna post the screen shot I took, but I forgot Apple doesn’t let you screenshot iTunes purchases so I will need to get a pic when I’m home. But it did offer a breakdown on the hierarchy of winning hands.

49. Culoph

Culoph New Member

Hey, TB-7021, @Muddler and the others. Here's something from the latest replica journal Tales from Vandor that's relevant to your interests. :)
    Sabacc 01 TFV.jpg Sabacc 02 TFV.jpg

generalvenduu likes this.
  50. Muddler

Wow! That's really cool! Thanks so much for posting this!
    I'd never have hoped for anything close to official coming up on Corellian Spike. And this sounds really interesting! Surprisingly it's different enough from the Hasbro Cardgame and could still be matching the movie! (Will be watching these scenes very closely anyway as soon as the DVD gets out...)

Only thing that feels a little odd is the Idiot's Array. While I like that it's being included, just keeping the standard values seems out of place for Corellian Spike.

But will definetely try it out! :D