Star Wars Card Games and others

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Raptor98, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Raptor98

Raptor98 Active Member

Hello, I saw some card games in the visual dictionaries of recent films. Can anyone have anymore info? Like how many cards, what are the colors, symbols and what's on the back side. Thanks.
    Rogue One Ultimate Visual Guide (b0bafett_Empire) p083.jpg page76.jpg games.PNG vlcsnap-2017-05-08-21h51m19s747.png vlcsnap-2017-05-08-21h51m11s158.png

halliwax and TB-7021 like this.
  2. TB-7021

TB-7021 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Interesting. I haven't noticed before that all version have the same design.

Weird that it's named differently in every book. But maybe it's just like real card games, they all use the same deck. If so, at celebration Anaheim they released a complete deck of Sabacc cards, so we know exactly how many cards there are.

I have recreated a complete deck of the celebration/Rebels version. If the movie version has the exact same cards, then we are missing a lot of information.
    14727674_1660333360923617_6454416606922539008_n.jpg

3. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

They completely changed Sabaac from what it was in the EU, which was pretty cool. Then, they were electronic cards that would occasionally change unless you stuck them into a field that would lock in that value.

4. mgoob

mgoob Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I don't recall the Rebels episode that showed the game.
    Where did you get a deck of cards?

I have the old WestEnd Games version, that Jason just commented on.

5. TB-7021

Season 1, episode 11, "Idiots Array". That's the episode with Lando.

I made a deck myself, based on the Rebels episode and the Celebration deck. You can find several Celebration deck photos online like this one:
    CE5QfMTUUAAwjh9.jpg

6. Raptor98

Raptor98 Active Member

Even rebels showed different cards, it can always be explained by "Vast universe, many planets, many culture" :V Is it possible to use the rebels deck as a reference and create the whole deck of the movie version of sabacc?

7. mgoob

mgoob Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks TB-7021 - I'll look that up:thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  8. TB-7021

Here is a quick photoshop creation of mine.
    moviesabacctest.JPG

Looking at all the reference, I'm only able to figure out 18 cards. The Rebels deck contains 78 cards...

The 18 cards in the movie deck are; triangles 1 to 6, circles 1 to 6 and ovals 1 to 6.

Also, an interesting photo is the one of DJ in the TLJ Visual Dictionary. DJ is using a card to break out of the cell.

The14thDr and Raptor98 like this.
  9. Raptor98

Raptor98 Active Member

Pic of the DJ card?

10. TB-7021

11. Raptor98

Raptor98 Active Member

Even more cards
    comment_SRLaCL1JSwBiKN2t9P3OZpMlFgVNo3zN.jpg

The14thDr likes this.
  12. Ash

Ash Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Following. We as a prop community need to create the ultimate real world Sabacc game, I mean it's about time isn't it?

slee77, Thain, Titanic and 2 others like this.
  13. TB-7021

From the Solo Denny's commercial, here is my first try:
    c3fe4688adb270530d587e77d079247e.0.png fe2f7818c829c800e8b2a3e5eaea6ee8.0.png

Ramalal, LordGalaxian, Thain and 2 others like this.
  14. Murasaki

Murasaki New Member

OH I would so love to get my hand on a complete deck of Star Wars cards...

LordGalaxian likes this.
  15. division 6

division 6 Master Member

Grabbed this off the Denny's commercial this morning.
    cards.jpg

The14thDr likes this.
  16. TB-7021

Knipsel.PNG

Done, recreated all visible cards. If you go back a few frames there's also a card with three triangles.

LordGalaxian, benhs1898 and The14thDr like this.
  17. division 6

division 6 Master Member

Saw over on the Entertainment Earth site a card game (pre order) based on these.

18. TB-7021

@division6, you mean this game? Looks like it's very accurate to the game as seen in the movie.0

29716086_192700218177877_1455247538222268416_n.jpg

The new tv spot showed us two more cards :D

b50f48a7-aa9a-4b56-b38e-a9c9f61e492e.jpg

We should make a list of all know cards and expand on that. The design of the Hasbro card game is different to the design of the movies.

The14thDr likes this.
  19. Uncharted Leather

Uncharted Leather Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I just found this photo on Instagram and thought it might help.

30591926_2109780579255495_6365238981184978944_n.jpg

20. Thain

Thain Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Following this with much interest. I've always wanted a definitive Sabaac game and I'm hoping Solo finally gives that to us.

Aliaz likes this.
  21. TB-7021

That's brilliant, how did you find it?

22. division 6

division 6 Master Member

Yes, that's the one I was referring to.

23. TB-7021

My game arrived today. Not exactly what I expected.

The cards are very flimsy, so there is still room for good replica cards.

The rules don't look familiar to me. This deck is different to the deck that was featured in the Rebels episode. Also, we've already seen some cards in the trailers and spots that do not appear in this Hasbro card game.

SabaccRules01.JPG SabaccRules02.JPG SabaccRules03.JPG SabaccRules04.JPG

24. TB-7021

Alright, guys, I've done some analyzing. This is what the complete Hasbro deck looks like.

- two blue cards are zero
    - three times 1 to 10 in positive (green) and three times 1 to 10 in negative (red)

SabaccOverviewHasbro.JPG

There are three sets of positive and negative cards from 1 to 10. Circles, triangles and squares are the only shapes we've seen so far. Is it likely that there is;
    Squares 1 to 10 in positive
    Squares 1 to 10 in negative
    Circles 1 to 10 in positive
    Circles 1 to 10 in negative
    Triangles 1 to 10 in positive
    Triangles 1 to 10 in negative

We've seen the zero cards in official artwork. So we can assume there are two of them in the movie? Not sure if these cards are colour-on-white or white-on-colour, that's why I've added the cards to my overview in a lower opacity.

All "confirmed" cards are in 100% opacity. There probably is a positive card for every negative card, so I've added those in a lower opacity.

What do we call the face cards (the jacks, queens and kings)? Cog, Star, Rancor thingie? I don't know, looks like a Rancor head maybe :p

Only numbers 3, 4, 5 and 6 appeared so far. Are the face cards numbers 8,9 and 10? Is there a 1 card or might a Ace card pop up later?

SabaccWIP.PNG

Conclusion; It's possible that the cards in the Hasbro deck are correct. If so, I don't know what value belongs to what face card.

What do you all think of this? Could I be on to something?

25. Djblingbling1

Djblingbling1 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Dont know how i missed this thread! I posted over on the FB page regarding the new cards. I plan to pick up the Hasbro game and "upgrade"....maybe print more film accurate cards, 3D print better "chips", ect.

TB-7021 likes this.
  26. TB-7021

SabaccOverviewUpdate0519.PNG
    Slowly getting there. The closer we get to the release, the more cards pop up.

This card showed up too, very detailed and hard to recreate just yet.

Lastshot3.png Postercards.PNG

While waiting for new cards, I did a cheap version of the chips/credits. Made out of wood with the laser cutter.

31709240_228531484547614_7355417908589101056_n.jpg

27. TB-7021

Post-release progress. Almost there! Only need to see 5 more cards so I can finish it and start printing a complete deck.

SabaccOverviewUpdate0524.PNG

28. Bangbng

Bangbng New Member

AWESOME great work!
    Question where were you planning on making these? I have found some Hex custom card print shops but none that are that shape.

29. The Ninja

The Ninja Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very cool, great research, following with interest if this turns into a run :)

30. Ash

Ash Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I will totally be willing to review your first printed deck for you... ya know just to let you know how they play ha ha. I've been following along and figuring out a "real world" version of the game rules utilizing what's been already covered in the "universe" and what the Official Card Game rules are.

31. TB-7021

Thanks all! I've actually done a test print already. It's quite expensive because of the custom shape. So I'll keep looking for a better way to print.

Since the Visual Dictionary confirmed that a deck consists of 62 cards, the game as seen in the new Hasbro game is pretty close to the movie except for the gambling part. We could make a variation on the existing rules to make it playable.

I'll probably have a complete deck finished in two weeks. Then I'll be doing a small run.

32. benhs1898

benhs1898 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I’d be in for a run.

TB-7021 likes this.
  33. Scratch

Scratch New Member

I’d be in for a run as well. Fantastic job on these.

34. TB-7021

[​IMG]

Here is a first test print of the cards!

I think I can start a run next week.

Djblingbling1, Thain, Walter and 8 others like this.
  35. Aliaz

Aliaz New Member

Looks Very Nice!

36. revcatherwood

revcatherwood New Member

Very well done. If you plan on making some, I'll be very interested in buying one when you are able.

37. agentreyes

agentreyes New Member

Nice. I'll be interested as well.

38. benhs1898

39. TB-7021

I'm aiming for good quality playing cards. I did test prints with textured paper, but that would triple the cost and production time.

40. Muddler

Muddler Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow! That's just awesome! Fantastic how you recreated all the symbols from the few glimpes we got so far!
    If you're really starting a run, I'd love to be in!

Still got some questions / thoughts on the colors:

1.) Your cardback seems to be blue and green. The Hasbro cardgame, movie stills and the pix from the Visual Dictionary all seem to indicate that the cardback should be rather brown with orange... Did I miss something? Or is there solid reason for the color-scheme?

(Also found this picture online:)
    Zb7Nbir.jpg

2.) The "Zeroes": In the movie Han addresses the card winning the final game as "This green Sylop" (if I remember correctly). I just think that it would be a little strange to have two green ones. I know, in the cardgame by Hasbro there are two similar zeros in blue. But my thought was: if in "Solo's world" all Sylops are green, why not simply say "This Sylop"? Maybe there should be one in green and one in red. This would be more symmetric (same number of green and red cards). Of course it would be even more logical if the Sylops would be a complete different color. But as we know, one is definetely green.
    So this is a point I'd like to hear your comments on.

3.) I don't know if this has any official basis, but there's also this virtual set of Sabacc-Cards as special token in the game "Roblox". And there is one card that shows a complete different design.

PEfiH5C.png
    So, I guess many questions could only be answered once we get a grab on the DVD and get some useable stills...

But as I said: Your cards look great and I'd be in for a run!

TB-7021 likes this.
  41. Tommyarts

Tommyarts New Member

Page #094.jpg
    Saw this in the visual dictionary and thought it could help.
    Very interested in that run, and impresive work in just a few days.

The14thDr and Marviana Jones like this.
  42. benhs1898

Well, as long as they are nice quality, texture is just a plus.

43. Uncharted Leather

Here are a few more photos that I found. I really like the leather case for the cards and will have to make one of those soon!

33396426_10209210738705516_4123308177712218112_n.jpg Dcfhj3HX0AAjTKR.jpg DcYbdldV4AAapnq.jpg DeAIBSxVQAAGbqj.jpg DeDgbEuX4AAXr6T.jpg

44. revcatherwood

revcatherwood New Member

[​IMG]Where did you find these pictures? I'm coming up with nothing.

45. Uncharted Leather

I found most of these on Twitter and Instagram. Most are from the display at the El Capitan Theater.

46. The Ninja

The Ninja Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

TB-7021 Firstly thanks for all your time & research in moving this towards a run, as you are still in the R&D process would it be possible to discuss printing options & prices before you make a final decision, as a quality must have prop from the SOLO movie I would be up for higher quality card/board stock & printing if offered so there maybe others.

Also are you considering offering the Card Case and gabbling chips etc?

Thanks again very cool project :cool

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    TB-7021 likes this.
  47. TB-7021

@Muddler Thanks for the feedback and questions!

1). Correct, my photo shows a more dark blue with light greenish yellow. I've changed it to a more dark blue/orangey yellow. I think you could be right about the blue being more of a dark brown. The photos from El Capitain are very blue due to the lights. I'll see what I can find out with some color editing in photoshop.

2). Uncharted Leather posted the photo that confirms the two Sylops are the same. The wording in the movie is weird indeed. He calls it the green sylops. The conversations continues with Han saying "they have both been played". He might be referring to both Green Sylop cards here.

3). The design of these Roblox cards is way off. I don't believe it's anything official or related to the movie.

SabaccOverviewUpdate0527.PNG

About the texture. I just came back from a third screening. In the second Sabacc game the texture is clearly visible, however, I did not notice it in the first Sabacc game. Looking at the credits and other tokens, they are different in both games. The credits in the second game have an oxidized texture which is missing in the first. Could it be possible that the deck of cards is different too? Any ideas?
    @Timbuktu The test prints I did are professionally printed. I am going to use 300grs paper, which is the same weight and thickness as playing cards. If you have any suggestions for even higher quality I'd love to know!

The card case is fantastic and I am playing on making it. This is more work than making the decks, I don't think I'm able to produce a high number of these.

This project is a lot of fun to work on. Thanks everyone for the great comments :D

The Ninja likes this.
  48. TB-7021

Alright, think I got it.

Looking at the deck on top of the card case in the El Capitain display. The color of the card matches the color of the case! We already have a perfectly lit photo of the card case which makes picking the correct colors a lot easier.

SabaccOverviewUpdate0528.PNG

Uncharted Leather and The Ninja like this.
  49. CT7567

CT7567 Active Member

Man I’m really impressed by how fast you were able to get these drawn up! I’m for sure interested in a deck when you do the run!

50. cgriffith

cgriffith New Member

Im interested in a deck if these become available. Those “test” prints look spectular.