Star trek tos laser scalpel suite

gaston

Howdy Guys!

To those TOS fans, and in particular the many medical devices collectors out there, I'd like to show-off a run of laser scalpels I did some time ago.

Since the 70's I've come across many at conventions, but only of the basic shapes: plain cylinders with squat cones. They always seem to be inspired by what we saw on TV, but were never quite right. Thank heaven for Blu-Ray. Not only were these ubiquitous fobs of turned metal put to work healing the injured in Sick Bay, but they were also used as a key to unseal a classified report by Commodore Medez and even tossed about in Engineering! Take a look at these great shots from The Lights of Zetar.

Close inspection of HD screen caps shows that just about every style had three simple, predictable variants: x, x+x, and x+x+x. Discovering this has given me a greater appreciation for the art director's scope, as raises the props' concept to something more interesting than a plain background gizmo.

Each of the laser scalpels is turned from solid T6061 aluminum. Scalpels #2, #3 and Blunt Laser Scalpel #4 were completed with a satin finish. The outside surface of Blunt Laser Scalpel #2 was given a medium polish, while its two banded channels retain a contrasting satin texture.

Check out their Star Fleet dossier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HntTR2f4fSo

Cheers,
Gaston

Blunt #1-#3.jpgLS #1 - #3.jpgTall Blunted.jpgComplete Set #1.jpgReturn To Tomorrow #2.jpgPublicity Still.jpgGreen Scalpel With Laser.jpgRed Scalpel With Laser.jpg

Blunt #1-#3.jpg

LS #1 - #3.jpg

Tall Blunted.jpg

Green & Red Laser Scalpels.jpg

Complete Set #1.jpg

Return To Tomorrow #2.jpg

Publicity Still.jpg

Green Scalpel With Laser.jpg

Red Scalpel With Laser.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work!

The story on the original TOS scalpels is that the Art Department went looking for some futuristic things to use as set dressing and came back with conical metal salt and pepper shakers, intending to use them as salt and pepper shakers. Gene Roddenberry thought they looked too futuristic, the audience wouldn't know hat there were supposed to be, and decided to use them as surgical tools instead!

Thanks for the back story. Necessity is truly the mother of invention! Not to mention the lack of a budget…

You did such excellent work on these, gaston! Would you mind sharing the angles and measurements (or even blueprints) you used? I have been wanting to do this as a project to practice my machining skills (not for sale, just to make a set for my self), and that would give me—and perhaps others who are interested in doing the same thing—a head start.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back