Star Trek: TNG MkVII Tricorder Replica

Sold for 1500 USD
I'm offering for sale this recently completed Tricorder prop from Star Trek: The Next Generation. I built this piece to be as accurate as possible to the physical prop used on the set during production and on-screen. It is constructed of clear vacuum-formed plastic with reed-switch activated illumination, opening and closing ratchet sounds, as well as the much-loved TNG scanning sound. Audio can be turned off via a switch inside the unit for a true set-accurate experience or to save battery life. The graphics were custom made using screen-used references and duplicate the techniques used to apply them to the real prop—including separately applied buttons and clear overlay.

7zymapzmu96kpaq-w1202-h1808-s-no-gm-authuser-0-jpg.jpg

Special attention was paid to the lighting, using warm white LEDs for the screen and the front orange/blue sensors to simulate the incandescent bulbs used in the real props. A 35mm slide graphic is used for the viewscreen, as original, and studio gels provide a more accurate color for the front arrays. I used the same Krylon Stone Gray (formerly Dove Gray) paint as applied to the hero props, with a semi-gloss clear coat for protection.

I cannot confirm the source of the body, but this kit was purchased over 10 years ago from Dennis Stines and I believe was from a very small run of kits made, making it a very rare replica.

In addition to the Tricorder itself, you will receive a custom laser-cut foam case styled in an in-world design to Star Trek: The Next Generation. Included is a wireless induction charger and cable to recharge the Tricorder's batteries without ever having to open the back panel or have a protruding charge port.

This piece is handmade, so no warranty is expressed or implied. Feel free to ask me any questions about this piece! It is a rare item for a discerning collector.

A build recap is underway and viewable here: Star Trek: TNG MkVII Science Tricorder Build

Offers are welcome!

Attachments

• DStines_TricVII_Set-28.jpg
    DStines_TricVII_Set-28.jpg
    9.2 MB · Views: 2,104
  • DStines_TricVII_Set-29.jpg
    DStines_TricVII_Set-29.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 70
  • DStines_TricVII_Set-03.jpg
    DStines_TricVII_Set-03.jpg
    8.5 MB · Views: 64
  • DStines_TricVII_Set-07.jpg
    DStines_TricVII_Set-07.jpg
    12.7 MB · Views: 62
  • DStines_TricVII_Set-08.jpg
    DStines_TricVII_Set-08.jpg
    14.8 MB · Views: 121
  • DStines_TricVII_Set-09.jpg
    DStines_TricVII_Set-09.jpg
    14.1 MB · Views: 379
  • DStines_TricVII_Set-12.jpg
    DStines_TricVII_Set-12.jpg
    10.4 MB · Views: 343
  • DStines_TricVII_Set-32.jpg
    DStines_TricVII_Set-32.jpg
    8.2 MB · Views: 3,664
  • DStines_TricVII_Set-26.jpg
    DStines_TricVII_Set-26.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Price drop bump! You won't find a better one outside of the prop department of TNG in the 90's!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back