Star Trek: TNG Appreciation Thread

I just rewatched S1 Ep3 - The Naked Now. Very entertaining story. It still holds up superbly by current standards.

Good to hear.

The fun thing about that episode was how it directly tied TNG into the familiar TOS. It was nice to have that connection. And it honoured that connection very well as far as I was concerned. It was fun too, with drunk Tasha getting it on with Data. A little cheese was sprinkled on that episode as well, but it was the 80's and they were yet to get the direction of the show entrenched.

I think my biggest regret is that Paramount didn't want to give them the money to make the Tsiolkovski Rick had designed, so they had to re-use the Grissom from TSFS. They didn't even change the markings on the model! Even at '80s TV resolution the NCC-638 is clearly visible in several shots, plus the outdated pennantry. In my headcanon, every instance of that model in TNG+, and every use of the term "Oberth class", refers to the ship Rick designed, but could never get them to spring for. Came closest with "The Pegasus", but alas.

Also, the Hood is NCC-2543, the Melbourne is Nebula-class, and get off my lawn.

"YOUNGLINGS" reacting to TNG: one who grew up with it, and one who hasn't seen Star Trek, at all.

While S1 might not overall hold up that well. There are still aspects of the show that works so great.

Do yourself a favor and stop watching that nonsense.

STP is Faux trek

JJ Trek, or possibly Kurtzman Wreck ;)

I started rewatching TNG from season 1 (a little rough) and just got to "Skin of evil". It ticked me off when I saw it back in 2014 and it still does now. They couldn't write a better way for Tasha to go down? She might as well have been a red-shirt on TOS! The whole episode was annoying, only Patrick Stewart's charm made it tolerable. The funeral sequence was painfully bad, I got through her first goodbye and had to turn it off. At least she gets a shot at redeeming her character in Yesterday's Enterprise.

Yeah, they didn't have to kill her off. Even though she wanted off the show. She said she felt like a only a 'stage dressing'. Maybe like Sigourney Weaver's character in Galaxy Quest.

I've a problem with yelling bad writing on new ST when old ST was full of bad writing, too. The thing that differs is the positive look on the future that the old shows had. But especially TNG really had a rough start and IMHO the only well written and developed characters are Picard and Data. I literally hate every scene with LaForge tech babbling or the soft on/off relationship of Riker and Troi.

The interaction between characters in every 24th century show was not really relatable at all. That was one of the things TOS and ENT did much better.

I'm not a super passionate ST fan. That's probably the reason I can live with DSC. Picard wasn't any good to me. It wasn't really ST, like DSC but DSC got some great casting (besides some pretty bad casting choices as well). JL from STP never felt like Jean-Luc Picard. He's a whole different character.

I startet to watch the Orville a few weeks ago and it's like a great version of TNG and yeah even it's kind of a soft parody.

I've a problem with yelling bad writing on new ST when old ST was full of bad writing, too. The thing that differs is the positive look on the future that the old shows had.

This is really the problem of the trend of only making shows with one long running story. Even Season 1 of TNG had a couple of good episodes, and with episodic story telling, you can skip any that don’t grab you and still have no problem enjoying other ones. With TOS you could watch any episode in any order and miss nothing. Even with TNG you could skip entire seasons and still be OK. There were plenty of episodes that didn’t thrill me when it first aired, but I always knew that next week would be a do-over and maybe the next story would be more up my alley.

that was my problem with Enterprise: I liked the concept, liked the characters, liked the cast...but once they started the Zindi story they lost me. I made it about two episodes into that, but realized that I didn’t care for the story and that was pretty much most of what it was going to be from then on. So I bailed.

New Trek (both of them) the story didn’t grab me, and with just one long story, I can’t hop in and out and only watch the good ones. I know they do that so that we will watch all of them, but for a lot of people, like me, it has the opposite effect. I just end up not watching any of them.

Season 1 episode 24: Conspiracy.
I don't think I've seen this episode before. Thoroughly enjoyable despite the plot holes. ;)
Picard's dinner with Starfleet has a real "Lost Boys" feel to it, and the ending was surprisingly gory for Trek.

Oh man that's a great episode. I'll never forget the first time I saw that episode. The animation on the parasite was good too. Remmick gets 'blowed up real good. That episode freaked me out. 'We seek peaceful co-existence.'

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back