Star Trek Sirius

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by SteveNeill, Mar 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Well here it goes. And mind you I don’t like doing this on forums. This is a happy place to escape and have fun. And believe me no one believes that more than I do. But to be honest I have hit a wall. And being silent any longer while my ship sinks as not been a good idea.

So I must confess I have run out of work, haven’t been able to get hired, projects have fallen through. I attribute most of this to the falling economy. Another issue is (much as I hate to admit) it is my age (I turned 60 on the 5th) and over qualification. Or so I have been told.

Then there’s my wife. She is fighting her illness (the bigC) and cannot work either. Without medical insurance this has been a huge drain to say the least. Anyone that lives in LA knows that it cost 3 times as much to live her as anywhere else. Even if I could move I’d have to have money for that. Catch 22. Besides she needs to be close to City of hope.

So now I’m hoping to scratch build a bunch of different Star Trek models and auction them off. In addition I’m making the spin off series, “Star Trek Sirius” www.makestarshipsnotwar.com other fan productions have done it off fan donations so I figure why not us too?

I’ve run out of money so that’s what I’m going to do. I continue always to search for work.

The website is not finished but up and running. All the money will go to making the show and supporting my overhead. I hope to start a store and sell some Star Trek items. Not sure what yet or how but give it time.
    In addition to all this, you all know I offer building services. I’ll be honest I’m not the cheapest guy in town. I do this for a living, not a side job retired person’s hobby or a young guy living at home making a few extra bucks. But a 35 year vet of the studios who has worked on everything from Ghost Busters to Star Trek.

Sometimes pride can kill you and it darn near has me. I always think I’ll pull that endless rabbit out of my hat but sometimes it’s just a plain ole alligator. So I have learned if I tell my friends in the community, “Hey I’m out of work over here!” they won’t ever know. Now you do.

I’m not pan handling but beating the bushes for work and donations for my show. Either way or both it will create more income than I have presently and to keep the shop and dream going. All I want to do is work hard and love doing it.

Thanks you guys,

Steve

P.S. If the mods or Art want or pull this as thread I completely understand. There would be no hard feelings at all. This forum has been more than supportive to me and my ambitions.

2. Griffworks

Griffworks Well-Known Member

Wow... I'm sorry to hear about all of this. I wish you the best of luck! I appreciate your fine work, so think it would serve you well doing buildups and the like!

3. robn1

robn1 Master Member

How can anyone be "over qualified"? And wouldn't that be a good thing? I can't believe that someone with your talent and speed can have trouble finding work!

I hope you get lots of offers for build ups.

4. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

In Hollywood they want you to do one thing. Paint windows, make wire frames, or do composites. when you tell them you can do it all they point to the door. It's just that simple. Believe me Rob I ask the same question everyday.

thanks guys,

Steve

5. robn1

robn1 Master Member

That sounds like union rules. I remember reading interviews with Ray Harryhausen and Jim Danforth, and others, where they said they had to outright lie to the unions. It was the only way to get anything done. The unions insisted that every job, no matter how simple, be performed by a specific person. To do it that way, they couldn't afford to make the movie. Crazy.

6. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

Steve, when I can afford to have you build me something, or to buy something you're selling, it'll happen.

(Sadly, between now and then, I'll either have to have a run in with a winning lottery ticket, a long lost wealthy relative's last will and testament, or maybe just an HR person who likes my resume.)

7. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Wow.. Prayers for your wife Steve, and good luck man.

8. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Weird seeing it on the other side of the stick. As a younger person (22) usually am under qualified doesn't have anuff skill or experience. Ok luck an city living is pricy I couldn't imagine LA

9. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

We're all here for you, Steve. My prayers go out to you and your wife and all the best for your new endeavour. There is no age limit when you're running a website and hey, you are 60 years young! (Happy Birthday, by the way) Surely things will work out with someone your talent and dedication - You're the fastest gun I've seen around here - turning out one fantastic model after another and I'm sure you will continue to be.

10. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

Just remember the ole Beatles tune Steve... "I get by with a little help from my friends". I know several others who are in the same boat.

Just don't lose hope. You lose that and you lose yourself.

11. Captain April

Captain April Sr Member

I am sorry to hear this Steve, you were more than gracious when I visited you last September, My daughter still talks about Rosie. I hope it all works out for you.

12. McGraph

McGraph Active Member

Sorry to hear about your wife Steve and I can't believe the wouldn't hire you. I would just like to say your video's of casting and building the big E have inspired me to actually get down and work on my 1/350 refit and cast a figure also. Have you thought about making instructional videos on advanced modeling to sell on your site you could make them in tandem with your builds. I know you have a submarine dvd you made. I'm sure there would be some market for advanced modeling techniques used in Hollywood. Anyhow looking forward to seeing what comes up on sirius.

13. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Thanks so much you guys. And thanks for the ideas it's much appreciated.

Steve

14. fraley1701

fraley1701 Member

I think this is a great idea! Not to cut our own throats here, because Steve has generously shared a tremendous amount of model building information with us for free. I think he should and could certainly produce some tutorial type DVD's and market them for sale! :thumbsup

15. Spoddy

Spoddy Member

Or even an E-book.. "Modelling the Enterprise .. for Dummies!"

You get the idea.

16. Aztek Dummy

Aztek Dummy Well-Known Member

Heck,

Even just putting his Hi-def videos on a DVD or Bluray for sale would be enough. All proceeds (beyond cost) going directly to Steve

17. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Thanks guys. It's hard to get my head around it all as i have so much to contend with at home. But it's a consideration. Unfortunately I'm just one person. My plan for now is to finish the Sirius Pilot and make some more models for resale.

Things change from day to day. Hope is always there.

steve

18. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

What would help me guys is to spread the word about Star Trek Sirius to as many places as possible. Star Trek fans just don't know about it. so if you have any ideas or can do something about it I'd appreciate the help.

thanks so much,

steve

19. SmilingOtter

I let a friend in the local Starfleet branch know.

20. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sorry to hear about your troubles Steve. :(

I don't frequent the modelling section often but I've always been a huge fan of your work. If I could afford you I'd be bursting down your door for a TWOK Enterprise & Reliant. Always wanted them fully lit in 1/350 scale. :)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  21. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

While Matt Boardman works on re-texturing the Enterprise I thought it about time I got the USS Sirius underway. I’ve always had an idea of what I wanted in my mind it was just a matter of finding the time to sit at modeler and get her going.

She is a 20 year old work horse who has been through many of a hard battle and left to rot in a dry dock in orbit. She is the ship that star Fleet gives Captain Neill. A sort of fixer upper as it would be.

At this point in the game she is a rough wire frame. No texture maps, no bump maps. Just in a raw form. Now that I have all the basic design in one piece I can move on to texturing and adding the smaller details. But being an old per TOS ship she should have even less detail than her eventual constitution class to follow.

Here is what I have so far. There will be of course more to come. Be sure to watch the video in HD and full frame.

Enjoy,

Steve

Latest Star Trek Sirius Video

22. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Thanks so much!

23. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

Is it possible to get a job outside of model building so
    you have insurance, and do the commissions on the
    side?

Regards,
    Michael

24. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

No, Not possible.

Steve

25. ozzyguanche

ozzyguanche Sr Member

And people here in Australia complain about our public health system and the sometimes long waits. At least we have a free system to cover those who would othewise not be able to afford insurance, and will/do eventualy get the medical attention they need.

Sometimes people dont know how good they got it.

Does that make it more difficult with job hunting, employers knowing there will be claims on the insurance?

Looking forward to more updates.

Ozzy

26. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Thanks Ozzy.

Steve

27. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Well I’ve started the long and nightmare process of texturing this model. And as I go along and get settled in with her comments some of my friends had made haunt me. One was from my old Friend John. Get rid of those big ugly supports. So I loaded the model up and it was the wrong one that didn’t have them yet. Hmmm…”you know. I think he’s right”

So I contact Matt Boardman. He says send me a picture to see. Yep he likes it that way too. Very well off they come. So far the ship was built upside down and now we have righted it. Dropped the big supports and I streamlined it a bit more. But Chris (or the Evil Genius) said you need to make it older than 20 years. Well look at the registry number. 1492??? LOL! Well I’ll let you guys do the math and that’s how old and beat up she is.

I have just spent the day working on the saucer section maps only. I still have a long way to go but I know how you guys like to watch…the process, so here’s a few pics until I get video up tomorrow and a bit more done.

Steve

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Prefect42

Prefect42 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Steve,

I had a good laugh at the last entry as I actually liked the "big, ugly" supports. But it's your ship. And it's a wicked cool design. Looking forward to your progress on this one, Steve.

My best to you and your family during this rough patch. You introduced me to your wife when I visited you a few months ago. You are two of the nicest people I've met in a long time.

Ted.

29. John Cooley

John Cooley Well-Known Member

I love this ship! Too fun!

30. healvis

healvis Active Member

I'm very sorry to hear of your troubles Steve, the best of luck to you and your wife.
    Ozzy I totally agree with you and I find it absolutely barbaric that a country like America does not have a free National Health Service like here in the UK with the option of private if you can afford it. My mother was diagnosed with cancer and within 2 weeks she had been operated on and returned home, she is now a healthier than ever 75 year old (touch wood).

I think the ship looks good Steve but could do with some windows on the back of the saucer. And I'm not to sure about the part that holds the pylons to the main hull, it looks like an "attachment" rather than a proper part of the ship, maybe curving it to blend a little better would give it a better look?

Just my thoughts Steve, good luck on the project.
    John.

31. Ray22

Ray22 Sr Member

I think the design looks cool and would say it might look cooler with that under section and the Nacelles pushed back some more from undr the saucer section.

32. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Ted thanks so much and thanks for the donation!! We are getting closer to that new camera to shoot the show. ;)

Thanks for the kindness and we'll see you over here soon!

steve

33. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

John thanks so much and I'm glad your mother is OK!

I will think on the design changes. They sound good to me really.

Steve

34. feek61

feek61 Sr Member

Looks great Steve. I was going to mention the age of the ship as well but I see that's been addressed. Keep in mind that during the TOS series the ship was about 20 years old when Kirk was commanding. "The Cage" era of course was 13 years before Kirk. Maybe 35 years would be better if it's to be in such disrepair.

35. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Thanks will she's about 40 now. Look at the registry. 1492. LOL!

36. feek61

feek61 Sr Member

LOL, that's awesome, I didn't notice the registry but love it. The age seems about right.

37. trekriffic

trekriffic Sr Member

I like it, especially the subtle and not so subtle references to the original Enterprise seen in the little red lights on either side of the upper bridge deck; the rust rings on the top and bottom of the saucer; the grey triangles on the underside aft section of the saucer; the overall staining; the shapes of the windows on the rim; the deflector dish; the nacelles; etc. Well done Steve!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  38. Troy Downen

Troy Downen Active Member

Steve, your half-scale Big E and 1/350 Daedalus are gems. I wouldn't mind seeing a large-scale Klingon D-7 or Romulan BOP (all from TOS, of course) mastered by you. I'd be in the "gotta have one" column for those. I'd even put down a deposit now to pay for time & supplies.

Your "making of" videos for the Big E were SO good (exceptional - I've never seen anything so detailed and informative) that I'd suggest you look into Apple's new iBook Author software (free) and consider packaging an iBook to sell on iTunes. I'm considering doing something similar myself (on other modeling topics) because I was inspired by how good your YouTube videos were.

39. Ruddigger

Ruddigger Sr Member

The supports were my favorite part of the design, they looked really good when viewed from the top. It's shaping up nicely though!

40. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Well still a long way to go yet but she’s shaping u. thanks for all the suggestions I got this ship has under gone some more major chances. Thanks to all of you that voiced your opinions you helped a great deal. Here’s some video this time. Please excuse the unshaven tried old guy. Here are a few rendered pictures of a work in progress. I am getting closer to do some shots with this. Enjoy, Steve [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Star Trek Sirius News Video

41. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

I liked it a little better with the protrusion (photon bay) on the bottom and the engines coming from that. But, I admit this new pass with that protrusion top side and thicker engines on the bottom of the saucer looks nice as well as it does seem a bit more refined. Only thing about having a photon bay shape like that is to me, it seems more TMP than TOS as the photon ports weren't as obvious. Maybe turning it into some sort of a sensor array (with another small deflector/sensor dish on front) might be worth trying or a different type of antenna/sensor array (like a Bozeman style pod perhaps).

Since this is an old design, maybe having the old pilot style spiked bussards and open reactor loops would be neat to see at least for the pilot (maybe have them refit to series style when the crew gets the ship into shape).

42. healvis

healvis Active Member

Hi Steve, I think your getting there with this design. I will mention some things that you are probably aware of.

I would cut the back of the saucer so it is in-line with the grid lines or space the grid lines to meet the saucer cut, it would just look nicer that way. I would also scale down the nav lights a little and make the grey pie sections underneath a little more subtle.

I do like the addition on top of the neck, but like JMC mentions maybe from the wrong era. My last comment is the battle damage on the top of the saucer, It follows the curve of the grid lines which sort of makes it look like a nice scar rather than a nasty looking non-symmetrical type of scar if you know what I mean. Sorry if you think I'm nit picking Steve I really am not, the Sirius like the enterprise is the backbone of the show so you need to get it perfect. The weathering looks great, the view from the back looks great, all in you've done a great job.
    John.

43. trekriffic

trekriffic Sr Member

I too like the idea of going with the spiked red bussards. The photon torp launcher on top looks good to me.

44. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Guys thanks soooo much for all the detailed input I'd expect nothing more from such an intelligent group.

But also keep in mind you don't know the whole story of the first episode. This has been a parts ship. Something to shoot at in wars games and test new parts on. That's why the nacelles are the newer type. Whey they are angled on. In the first show one of them comes off at warp 2.

Also it is far from finished after only 4 days from scratch. Give it time.

thanks again!

steve

45. Captain Han Solo

Captain Han Solo Sr Member

Sir, your work,all your work is amazing.

I read each thread...and enjoy them very much!

46. Velin Vussii

Velin Vussii New Member

Sorry to hear that news

47. SteveNeill

SteveNeill Sr Member

Thanks guys.

Steve

48. SmilingOtter

My thoughts exactly, which makes the new design look much, much better IMO.

49. yuumi2891103

yuumi2891103 Sr Member

I have no words for the difficulties you and your partner are in.
    But once you got just a little chance, I believe you will be raising again soon.
    You are not the kind of ship sinking in the stormy ocean.
    My thought with you and your family.

Katsuhiko Fujihira.

50. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

Okay, given how you've explained it, the launcher makes sense then. So if it is intended to get shot at, you could also put some drone target orange stripes on it as well I suppose (like what the Air Force and Navy do with their Drone converted fighters).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.