Star Trek Sirius

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveNeill

Sr Member
Well here it goes. And mind you I don’t like doing this on forums. This is a happy place to escape and have fun. And believe me no one believes that more than I do. But to be honest I have hit a wall. And being silent any longer while my ship sinks as not been a good idea.

So I must confess I have run out of work, haven’t been able to get hired, projects have fallen through. I attribute most of this to the falling economy. Another issue is (much as I hate to admit) it is my age (I turned 60 on the 5th) and over qualification. Or so I have been told.

Then there’s my wife. She is fighting her illness (the bigC) and cannot work either. Without medical insurance this has been a huge drain to say the least. Anyone that lives in LA knows that it cost 3 times as much to live her as anywhere else. Even if I could move I’d have to have money for that. Catch 22. Besides she needs to be close to City of hope.

So now I’m hoping to scratch build a bunch of different Star Trek models and auction them off. In addition I’m making the spin off series, “Star Trek Sirius” www.makestarshipsnotwar.com other fan productions have done it off fan donations so I figure why not us too?

I’ve run out of money so that’s what I’m going to do. I continue always to search for work.

The website is not finished but up and running. All the money will go to making the show and supporting my overhead. I hope to start a store and sell some Star Trek items. Not sure what yet or how but give it time.
In addition to all this, you all know I offer building services. I’ll be honest I’m not the cheapest guy in town. I do this for a living, not a side job retired person’s hobby or a young guy living at home making a few extra bucks. But a 35 year vet of the studios who has worked on everything from Ghost Busters to Star Trek.

Sometimes pride can kill you and it darn near has me. I always think I’ll pull that endless rabbit out of my hat but sometimes it’s just a plain ole alligator. So I have learned if I tell my friends in the community, “Hey I’m out of work over here!” they won’t ever know. Now you do.

I’m not pan handling but beating the bushes for work and donations for my show. Either way or both it will create more income than I have presently and to keep the shop and dream going. All I want to do is work hard and love doing it.

Thanks you guys,

Steve

P.S. If the mods or Art want or pull this as thread I completely understand. There would be no hard feelings at all. This forum has been more than supportive to me and my ambitions.

Wow... I'm sorry to hear about all of this. I wish you the best of luck! I appreciate your fine work, so think it would serve you well doing buildups and the like!

How can anyone be "over qualified"? And wouldn't that be a good thing? I can't believe that someone with your talent and speed can have trouble finding work!

I hope you get lots of offers for build ups.

In Hollywood they want you to do one thing. Paint windows, make wire frames, or do composites. when you tell them you can do it all they point to the door. It's just that simple. Believe me Rob I ask the same question everyday.

thanks guys,

Steve

That sounds like union rules. I remember reading interviews with Ray Harryhausen and Jim Danforth, and others, where they said they had to outright lie to the unions. It was the only way to get anything done. The unions insisted that every job, no matter how simple, be performed by a specific person. To do it that way, they couldn't afford to make the movie. Crazy.

Steve, when I can afford to have you build me something, or to buy something you're selling, it'll happen.

(Sadly, between now and then, I'll either have to have a run in with a winning lottery ticket, a long lost wealthy relative's last will and testament, or maybe just an HR person who likes my resume.)

Weird seeing it on the other side of the stick. As a younger person (22) usually am under qualified doesn't have anuff skill or experience. Ok luck an city living is pricy I couldn't imagine LA

We're all here for you, Steve. My prayers go out to you and your wife and all the best for your new endeavour. There is no age limit when you're running a website and hey, you are 60 years young! (Happy Birthday, by the way) Surely things will work out with someone your talent and dedication - You're the fastest gun I've seen around here - turning out one fantastic model after another and I'm sure you will continue to be.

Just remember the ole Beatles tune Steve... "I get by with a little help from my friends". I know several others who are in the same boat.

Just don't lose hope. You lose that and you lose yourself.

I am sorry to hear this Steve, you were more than gracious when I visited you last September, My daughter still talks about Rosie. I hope it all works out for you.

Sorry to hear about your wife Steve and I can't believe the wouldn't hire you. I would just like to say your video's of casting and building the big E have inspired me to actually get down and work on my 1/350 refit and cast a figure also. Have you thought about making instructional videos on advanced modeling to sell on your site you could make them in tandem with your builds. I know you have a submarine dvd you made. I'm sure there would be some market for advanced modeling techniques used in Hollywood. Anyhow looking forward to seeing what comes up on sirius.

Sorry to hear about your wife Steve and I can't believe the wouldn't hire you. I would just like to say your video's of casting and building the big E have inspired me to actually get down and work on my 1/350 refit and cast a figure also. Have you thought about making instructional videos on advanced modeling to sell on your site you could make them in tandem with your builds. I know you have a submarine dvd you made. I'm sure there would be some market for advanced modeling techniques used in Hollywood. Anyhow looking forward to seeing what comes up on sirius.

I think this is a great idea! Not to cut our own throats here, because Steve has generously shared a tremendous amount of model building information with us for free. I think he should and could certainly produce some tutorial type DVD's and market them for sale! :thumbsup

I think this is a great idea! Not to cut our own throats here, because Steve has generously shared a tremendous amount of model building information with us for free. I think he should and could certainly produce some tutorial type DVD's and market them for sale! :thumbsup
Or even an E-book.. "Modelling the Enterprise .. for Dummies!"

You get the idea.

Heck,

Even just putting his Hi-def videos on a DVD or Bluray for sale would be enough. All proceeds (beyond cost) going directly to Steve

Thanks guys. It's hard to get my head around it all as i have so much to contend with at home. But it's a consideration. Unfortunately I'm just one person. My plan for now is to finish the Sirius Pilot and make some more models for resale.

Things change from day to day. Hope is always there.

steve

What would help me guys is to spread the word about Star Trek Sirius to as many places as possible. Star Trek fans just don't know about it. so if you have any ideas or can do something about it I'd appreciate the help.

thanks so much,

steve

Sorry to hear about your troubles Steve. :(

I don't frequent the modelling section often but I've always been a huge fan of your work. If I could afford you I'd be bursting down your door for a TWOK Enterprise & Reliant. Always wanted them fully lit in 1/350 scale. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back