Star Trek: Questions you always wanted answers to

As for the Dauntless NX-01-A, that ship being an alien ruse wasn't carrying an official Federation registry so it isn't canon breaking. I see it as the alien behind it just wasn't knowledgeable enough to get it right, and the Voyager crew had too much on their minds at the time to notice a funky registry.
Not buyin' it. :p Everything else was pretty well nailed. Arturis did his research well. And anyone who'd been to the Academy, let alone made it to the command ranks, would know enough Starfleet history to know the name of the first Starfleet ship. Between Chakotay, Janeway, Tuvok,The Doctor, Harry, and/or Seven, at least one of them would go, "Hang on -- wasn't NX-01 named Enterprise?" It's continuity fail, no matter how much one tries to rationalize it (along with so many other aspects of the series of same name).

Okay. Following onto things now that I've had a chance to revisit my reconstructed files (still recovering from a hard drive crash in '10 that took all my writing with it), some self-corrections, plus a further comment on a recent post...
As for the Epsilon IX comm chatter, we have the [...] Heavy Cruiser Merrimac (NCC-1715) -- Which reminds me, this one I have on my list is there because of this canon reference. I need to include it in my "dozen like her" breakdown, further above. Pleh. I knew I was missing something.
I went back to the reference stacks again. D.C. Fontana came up with the Defiant's name, but there was no registry given. The NCC-1764 was pulled out of nowhere by Greg Jein in his T-Negative article -- deliberately high under his assumption it hadn't been built as of "Court Martial". An assumption, remember, that he himself said in the article he could tear apart as easily as make. He also was the one to give the Yorktown the registry of NCC-1717, also apropos of nothing. That one I have no problem with, but the Defiant's is arbitrarily high. Prior to all the retconning of Enterprise and TOS Remastered, there was no hull number visible, and the crew had "Enterprise" insginia. That last implies, by dint of the previous agglomeration of visual evidence in TOS, that the Defiant was part of the First Fleet, along with the Enterprise. In a time period when we were only a couple years out from the Enterprise being refitted into its TMP appearance, if the Defiant was newly-launched, it would probably look more movie-like than TOS-like. So I had tentatively assigned the Defiant to one of the empty 17xx registries from Stone's chart. So where I actually currently stand with the "dozen like her" line is (to dredge up and revise my prior post on the subject):

• 1700 [presumed Constitution, class lead ship]
• 1701 [Enterprise]
• 1709 [one of these two being the Defiant]
• 1710 [my "fixed" Constellation]
• 1715 [Merrimac]
• 1717 [Yorktown]
• 1718 [I give this one to the Excelsior, based on stuff from production and fandom -- lost after TOS and the name given to NX-2000]

That leaves the Exeter as belonging to one of the other fleets; same for the Excalibur, Hood, Lexington, and Potemkin, as they're all operating out of a different base(s), under a different Commodore(s). But no registries given in TOS original canon for any of those five, and leaving one blank registry on Stone's chart to find a name for.

Now, then...
The suffix was only used when a new ship carried not only the name but also the registry of a previous ship, supposedly starting with Kirk's Enterprise A. Many ships had the same name as older ones but with different registries so no suffix.
Accurate, but incomplete. The hull number exists for purposes of fleet matériel inventorying. Assigning a duplicate hull number -- suffix or no -- to another hull is administratively, bureaucratically stupid and inefficient. My friend Timo did a lovely write-up on the subject some twenty years ago. Paraphrasing, the first known instance was when the Federation Council instructed Starfleet to restore the busted-back-to-Captain Rear Admiral Kirk to a starship command. Starfleet brass respected Kirk, despite him having a loose relationship with such concepts as "subordinacy"... But he'd also not been in command of a starship, by that point, for over a decade, had retired from Starfleet only to come back a few years later as an Academy instructor... They weren't going to give him a top-of-the-line vessel when he already had one foot out the door.

So they took the Yorktown, which had made it back to base after being disabled by the probe, and whose slated retirement had been accelerated by that ordeal, retired the name to give to an under-construction Excelsior-class ship (the one Tuvok's father would be serving on several years later), fixed it up with a spit-shine and a new coat of paint, and renamed it Enterprise. As a grace note on replacing the ship Kirk had destroyed, they replicated the hull number, too -- but with the suffix to distinguish it from the first 1701. That spaceframe, however, was still listed in fleet inventory as 1717, with a note about its changed displayed nomenclature.

The now-reinvigorated Captain Kirk never went back to active exploration duty, but because of the notoriety of the ship's new name and of its command staff, it started to be used for high-profile missions. Especially since Kirk, at his new rank, couldn't really say no to his now-much-higher-ranking peers. After his involvement in resolving the situation at the joint Federation/Klingon/Romulan colony on Nimbus III, exposing the plot to assassinate the Klingon Chancellor(s), and catalyzing the Khitomer Accords, the ship was retired, but Kirk's second wind saw him helping repurpose the Excelsior class, designed and built for war with the Klingons, to a new peacetime rôle. It was a task he was well suited for, having already been involved with the Great Experiment from his time as head of Starfleet Operations. With augmented sensor capability, expanded small-craft facilities, and refinements to the engines, he helped create a new type of vessel in the Starfleet inventory -- the Explorer. And Starfleet decided to bank on his involvement by naming the first ship thus configured Enterprise and carrying forward the replica registry, now with a "-B" (while the hull, in Starfleet inventory, would still have its original order number -- NCC-2039 or whatever).

And, as he put it, after that, like all stupid military traditions, it wasn't allowed to die the death it so richly deserved. "You'd have to be a Vulcan numerology freak to find glory in a random four-digit number."

"Hang on -- wasn't NX-01 named Enterprise?" It's continuity fail, no matter how much one tries to rationalize it (along with so many other aspects of the series of same name).

Au Contraire, the Earth Starfleet used a different registry system than the Federation Starfleet. Prefixes were model types and the numbers are spaceframes within the class. Enterprise is NX class and the second spaceframe, Columbia, is NX-02. There are many older smaller ships, so the Enterprise isn't the first ship in any fleet.

When Starfleet was reorganized at the creation of the Federation all the ships in the combined fleet, including Vulcan and Andorian ones, got new registry numbers. The Ship with #1 was the Dauntless.

I watched the TNG episode "The Inner Light" again last night, which is one of my favorites. Anyway at one point Picard says something like "I always thought that I didn't need children to have a full life." I always thought it would have been cool if they would have had Picard have kids when they showed him in the future to show that that experience changed him. I wonder why they never went in that direction? I guess they could say he already had that experience, and the way he reacted he would still feel like those were his kids.

What was the reason Geordi had to wear a visor vs. getting implants? I remember as a kid my dad, while we watched the show, would periodically complain about the visor because if they have those ships, replicators, transporters, etc. they surely could make eye implants. I vaguely think I remember them saying something about a medical reason he couldn't get implants. Not sure though. When that TNG movie came out where Geordi does have implants my dad yelled "Finally!" in the theater. :lol:

What was the reason Geordi had to wear a visor vs. getting implants? I remember as a kid my dad, while we watched the show, would periodically complain about the visor because if they have those ships, replicators, transporters, etc. they surely could make eye implants. I vaguely think I remember them saying something about a medical reason he couldn't get implants. Not sure though. When that TNG movie came out where Geordi does have implants my dad yelled "Finally!" in the theater. :lol:
I do seem to remember something in one of the episodes where they explained why; something having to do with the visor itself having more capabilities than simple lenses, I think. But them changing from the visor to the lenses for First Contact was purely for LeVar Burton, who had been requesting for years that they get rid of the visor because it covered too much of his face and, particularly important to an actor, his eyes. That's the main reason Geordi was so "energetic" in most episodes--he had to overact to make up for the audience not being able to see his eyes.

Dialogue from Encounter at Farpoint. They don't even mention replacement eyes, which I can only assume were not yet possible?

CRUSHER: You've been blind all your life?
LAFORGE: I was born this way.
CRUSHER: And you've felt pain all the years that you've used this?
LAFORGE: They say it's because I use my natural sensors in different ways.
CRUSHER: Well, I see two choices. The first is painkillers.
LAFORGE: Which would affect how this works. No. Choice number two?
CRUSHER: Exploratory surgery. Desensitise the brain areas troubling you.
LAFORGE: Same difference. No, thank you, Doctor.

He has a conversation with Pulaski about them as well

PULASKI: It's possible to install optical devices which look like normal eyes, and would still give you about the same visual range as the visor.
LAFORGE: Done? You say almost. How much reduction?
PULASKI: Twenty percent. There is another option. I can attempt to regenerate your optic nerve, and, with the help of the replicator, fashion normal eyes. You would see like everyone else.
LAFORGE: Wait a minute. I was told that was impossible.
PULASKI: I've done it twice, in situations somewhat similar to yours. Geordi, it would eliminate the constant pain you are under. Why are you hesitating?
LAFORGE: Well, when I came to see you, it was to talk about modifying this. And now you're saying it could be possible for me to have normal vision?
PULASKI: Yes.
LAFORGE: I don't know. I'd be giving up a lot.
PULASKI: There's something else you must know. This is a one shot. If you decide to change your mind, there's no going back. And there are risks. I can offer choices, not guarantees.
LAFORGE: Well, this is a lot to think about. I'll get back to you, Doctor. Thank you.

Yeah I remember some of those conversations, but for some reason I thought it was something like his body rejected implants or something. IDK. On a side note, I tried Googling this before I posted the question and there was a Reddit thread that devolved into an in-depth, as only scifi fans can do, discussion on whether Geordi's visor could see a fart... :lol: I mean it got deep into Treknobabble.

So, what's preventing them from making a visor that could do everything Geordi's visor could do, but also fit on people with normal vision? Like, make it goggles instead of a built-in cybernetic implant?

Why doesn't anyone ever mention that they literally discovered immortality and eternal youth? In *Rascals*, they basically beamed the age out of Captain Picard and some others, and explained exactly how they did it. Why couldn't they replicate the conditions and just beam people young again whenever they wanted? And if the newly-de-aged person doesn't like it, they could beam them back into their older selves. And why, if everyone knew that kid was Picard, did anyone give him a hard time about his command decisions, or try to send him to school? And when they de-aged Picard, what happened with his artificial heart? God I hate that episode.

What would happen if two people sprinted in opposite directions in a holodeck? Wouldn't they eventually run into the real physical walls?

Why did they bother firing torpedoes when they could just beam them where they wanted them?

How did anyone on the original Enterprise crew hold a security clearance to run anything bigger than a toaster? Nearly every episode had them kidnapped, mind-controlled, possessed, replaced with robots or aliens, body-snatched, controlled by what were basically gods, or affected by alien microorganisms.

Why don't people remember that the super-progressive "first interracial kiss" was a.) non-consensual for either party, and b.) was immediately followed by Kirk chasing Uhura around with a bullwhip?

IN the new movies, if you can beam from Earth to Quo'nos, why would they bother building an entire Starfleet?

...Why don't people remember that the super-progressive "first interracial kiss" was a.) non-consensual for either party, and b.) was immediately followed by Kirk chasing Uhura around with a bullwhip?
Well, aside from the facts that a) they never actually kissed, and b) even if they had, it wouldn't have been the first interracial kiss on television anyway...

That's one thing that bugged me about ST, and I've mentioned this before, that they routinely contradict things or forget what they did in previous episodes. They will encounter a similar situation and then conveniently forget they had the tech to fix it.

One thing I always questioned is, TNG and newer series, they will have a medical emergency and get a gurney to wheel the person to sick bay. Why don't they just beam them there? I saw an episode the other day where Geordi asked Wesley to go get some part out of storage. Why would you not have a quartermaster in there who would beam it right to you?

That's one thing that bugged me about ST, and I've mentioned this before, that they routinely contradict things or forget what they did in previous episodes. They will encounter a similar situation and then conveniently forget they had the tech to fix it.

One thing I always questioned is, TNG and newer series, they will have a medical emergency and get a gurney to wheel the person to sick bay. Why don't they just beam them there? I saw an episode the other day where Geordi asked Wesley to go get some part out of storage. Why would you not have a quartermaster in there who would beam it right to you?

Because they need the story to happen. It's just bad writing.

Probably "something something something; warp bubble beaming; high speed shielding; bob the transporter goon has put three hydrospanners inside the chest cavities of Geordi's ensigns, so he just asks them to go get it in person"

Why doesn't anyone ever mention that they literally discovered immortality and eternal youth?

Why did they bother firing torpedoes when they could just beam them where they wanted them?

Same reason that they presumably never implemented all the advances that Barclay created in "Nth Dimension"

You'd have to lower the shields to transport them. Could be done with precise timing, but still.

Same reason that they presumably never implemented all the advances that Barclay created in "Nth Dimension"
Speaking of "implementing the advances," was it ever made clear if V'Ger ever actually transmitted all the data it stored? It seems like getting all the stuff V'Ger learned would be a revolutionary change in how the Federation viewed and knew the universe.

You'd have to lower the shields to transport them. Could be done with precise timing, but still.

I just watched that episode the other day. They end the episode leading you to believe that Barclay retained some advanced knowledge, but then never capitalized on that later on.

I just watched that episode the other day. They end the episode leading you to believe that Barclay retained some advanced knowledge, but then never capitalized on that later on.

Given what Picard said at the end about the knowledge that they got taking decades to examine, it seems unlikely that they would have purged the ship's computer of the records of what Barclay did to the ship. (Beefing up the shields 300% would definitely come in handy.)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back