Star Trek: Questions you always wanted answers to

Just rewatching ST3, and the part at the end, where Bones seems to say to Kirk, 'Hell of a time to ask' still plays back oddly every time I watch it, as if there was a deleted scene of Kirk asking a question, which warrants McCoy's sarcastic response. Does anyone know the story on that?

Just rewatching ST3, and the part at the end, where Bones seems to say to Kirk, 'Hell of a time to ask' still plays back oddly every time I watch it, as if there was a deleted scene of Kirk asking a question, which warrants McCoy's sarcastic response. Does anyone know the story on that?
He was referring to being given a choice to go through with the dangerous procedure.

He was referring to being given a choice to go through with the dangerous procedure.
Yes, although there must be more to it like something happened in the editing room. He responds right away to the priestess and says he chooses the danger, then there's a shot of Kirk, then back to McCoy. Even the actors in the background seem to react very subtly with body swaying and slight turns of their heads, as if Kirk said something else to McCoy. Anyways...

Why was the Enterprise Refit such garbage? It's far and away my favorite looking ST ship, but it was always trash in the movies.
TMP: still being refitted, nothing worked.
II: All-trainee crew, gets severely damaged by Khan
III: Starts with a skeleton crew, the Khan damage hasn't been repaired, then it's blown up
IV: Not even in the movie, except for 1 shot of the -A at the end. There IS a replay of the Wrath of Khan destruction at the beginning of the movie.
V: Nothing works
VI: This is the only movie where the Enterprise operates properly, but it still gets banged up by a KBoP.

Of course, later Enterprises don't fair much better:
Generations - the -B gets severely damaged by the Nexus, the -D is destroyed altogether
First Contact - The -E gets damaged by the Borg, ship's systems go wonky
I forget what happens in the other 2 TNG movies. Not even sure I saw them.
JJ-Trek - Severely damaged by Nero's ship
STID - Severely damaged by Buckaroo Banzai's ship
ST:B - Completely destroyed by the swarm ships

Just rewatching ST3, and the part at the end, where Bones seems to say to Kirk, 'Hell of a time to ask' still plays back oddly every time I watch it,
I always found it weird that no one really asked Bones if he was okay to go through the procedure, or laid out the dangers to him and Spock, until they got to Vulcan. I thought it was just a movie trope where they always "go over the plan" while they're on the mission.

What I wanted to know, was in STIII, if it is so easy to automate a ship where only a bridge crew can operate it, why put so many people on it in the first place?

What I wanted to know, was in STIII, if it is so easy to automate a ship where only a bridge crew can operate it, why put so many people on it in the first place?

Yeah, you’re not supposed to think about why the TOS Enterprise has a crew of 430, but the same 7 crew members were the only ones that saw any consistent action.

Of course, all of them had important roles to play, on the ship.

For instance, who could forget Blanch, Bob, Bill, and Jerry, who were assigned to “walk aimlessly up and down the corridors on B Deck”?

57D9732D-BBAF-44AC-85DB-270D9F345FCF.jpeg

Or, Judy whose job was to carry a yellow rolling pin and to look “mildly concerned” for her 8 hour shift?

4C43B006-EA3C-44BF-88CE-32F962EE899D.jpeg

And who could forget Crewman #2, whose job was to stare at the same blinking light, every day?

5373D8F3-E961-4DEC-ABE5-B53FD3F4CB3B.jpeg

Indeed, all 430 crewmen and crewwomen were critical to the mission of the Enterprise.

Last edited:
I always found it weird that no one really asked Bones if he was okay to go through the procedure, or laid out the dangers to him and Spock, until they got to Vulcan. I thought it was just a movie trope where they always "go over the plan" while they're on the mission.

They started out expecting Spock to be dead, and were just bringing his body to Vulcan for a funeral ritual where his Katra would simply be released from McCoy. When he learned Spock's body was still alive Sarek requested the refusion which is where the danger comes in, and was not expected prior.

Last night I turned on the first JJ Trek and it only had about an hr left. Am I imaging things or towards the end did the Enterprise show up at Saturn and beam crew to the ship around Earth? If that's right, W.T.F.? That's idiotic.

Last night I turned on the first JJ Trek and it only had about an hr left. Am I imaging things or towards the end did the Enterprise show up at Saturn and beam crew to the ship around Earth? If that's right, W.T.F.? That's idiotic.
Well, in all fairness to JJ Trek, while it was a fun action movie, they were a little light on caring about any Trek in-universe sci-fi continuity. I mean, the entire fleet leaves for Vulcan, gets there and gets destroyed, all in the time it takes the Enterprise to get there (in the course of a conversation).

Then the transwarp beaming. And about 20000 other nitpicky things.

Fun movie to watch though, if you just push anything Star Trek out of your head. I don't mean that as a critique on anyone who liked it though.

Yeah, SOOOOO many issues. Building the Enterprise on the surface of the Earth. Taking 2 minutes tops to get from the Klingon border to Earth. Khan threatening to destroy the life support located behind the "aft" nacelle. Submerging the Enterprise. A "cold fusion" bomb that freezes everything. Having to drill to the center of a planet before deploying a black hole.

The actors were good (though Bana and Cumberbatch were both miscast) but that's about the only good I can say about the series.

This is one of those things that most fans would accept without question, if the rest of the surrounding movie was good. For example, the questionable stuff in TWOK gets a pass because the movie they are in is awesome.
Agreed. I could easily accept that the Enterprise COULD do it. But there was no explanation, reasonable or otherwise, as to WHY that was necessary rather than staying in orbit, other than "it'll look SOOOOOO COOOOOOL!"

For me personally, the Enterprise emerging from an underwater hiding spot still seems pointless when they could have remained in orbit or nearby, no matter how well the story was written.

The reason you submerge the Enterprise is so you can have Scotty complaining about what a terrible mess it's caused to have submerged the Enterprise.

Sometimes, the reason things are done, is to troll Scotty, and that's Ok.

So I was correct that they did beam that far?

The only other thing that really bugs me is the lame engine room. I Think they just used a power plant or something for that set. That's just lazy when even back in the 80s they had a whole engine room set.

For me personally, the Enterprise emerging from an underwater hiding spot still seems pointless when they could have remained in orbit or nearby, no matter how well the story was written.
But you have no idea what occurred to get them there . It would be like starting an episode of classic trek in the last 10 minutes and saying this makes no sense.

But I think a very plausible explanation is the Enterprise needed to use its phasers to drill holes in the crust to relieve the volcanic pressure until Spock could create the cold fusion device and deploy. Firing phasers from orbit would have been seen by the natives so the Enterprise went underwater to keep their work out of view of the population.

And as to why it's called a cold fusion device...
Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways? Makes no sense.
We have no idea why it's called a cold fusion device... Might make perfect sense if you understood the technology or it could be a quirk in naming based on who knows what.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back