Star Trek: Questions you always wanted answers to

Pre and post, automated with crews in control rooms nearby. The Enterprise we saw in TWOK was a training vessel -- figure analogous to the US Coast Guard's Eagle. It's rigged with obsolescent tech to teach those on board how to work together as a team and learn basic seamanship skills that everything else is built on top of. Those torpedo systems are probably a good thirty or so years out of date. If you look at Dave Kimble's TMP cutaway (before we saw the torpedo room in TWOK), his version looks a lot more automated. Kinda like a differently-colored version of what we saw in TUC.

Works for me!

The floor grills are there because that room has a docking port, and you don't want people falling in a trench 30 seconds after boarding for the first time. I agree with the "lower tech for training" explanation, that is to say, the cadets need to know how to load torpedo if the automated system is down. That said, what manual loading do we see after the initial removing of the grates? The torpedoes drop down to the track on an arm from above and slide into the launcher. No human interaction. It's annoyingly slow, but it's not manual.

There are control boards in the torp rooms, and trainees running all about. We have insufficient evidence someone wasn't manually coordinating with the arming room above, directing the whole path the casing took to the launch tube, manually opening and closing the hatch, etc. I personally feel it's at least plausible that was the case, and the loading mechanisms' slow travel was a built-in feature, to give people who are just learning it a bit more reaction time as they're getting used to the way it all works.

Ok here's a couple more because now I have to watch them all and I finished IV last night. Were the tricorder (Klingon?) and phaser Chekov had when he was captured get recovered? He didn't have them at the hospital, so I'm guessing the Navy still had them. Also is there any outside the movie explanation for why the crew wasn't charged with violating the Prime Directive? I would think that Scotty giving that guy the formula for transparent aluminum would have been a violation. Of course that's if he didn't actually invent it as they were discussing.

Ok here's a couple more because now I have to watch them all and I finished IV last night. Were the tricorder (Klingon?) and phaser Chekov had when he was captured get recovered? He didn't have them at the hospital, so I'm guessing the Navy still had them. Also is there any outside the movie explanation for why the crew wasn't charged with violating the Prime Directive? I would think that Scotty giving that guy the formula for transparent aluminum would have been a violation. Of course that's if he didn't actually invent it as they were discussing.
I don't think the Temporal Prime Directive was established until the 31st century.

Ok. BTW, am I nuts or was there a scene where people are playing Frisbee in the park and they throw it and it hits the cloaked ship? I don't know if I'm imagining that or what.

If I remember correctly, which may not be the case, in the novel it was explained that the guy Scotty gave the formula for transparent aluminum to actually was the guy who originally invented it.
I remember that too. I have not seen the movie for a while but for some reason I thought it was mentioned there too.

It was more oblique in the final film. The draft of the script Vonda worked from for the novelization was more plain that, basically, Nichols was the guy who invented it, but they couldn't wait for him to.

I don't remember a frisbee moment in any version. Sure you're not conflating the runners and the harpoon?

I think I'm just thinking of something that should have happened since it was a park. I think it's one of those weird things that people swear they saw in the theater, but it never happens. Like you'll occasionally see people online who swear they saw the Jabba scene in the original SW that was cut, or scenes from the SW novelizations that only happened in the books.

It’s that his stirred his HUMAN half was stirred by V’Ger’s approach. Perhaps his emotional sensitivity made him more susceptible to sensing V’Ger than a full Vulcan would be.

Or, plot contrivance.

He was likely the only Vulcan on such a spiritual-focus journey at the moment V'Ger was "coming into range". How many things do you notice when it's quiet versus when there's a lot of distraction? Plus, from a certain point of view, with Gary and Liz gone, he's the most psionically powerful Human we know of at that time. Since V'Ger's focus was on Earth and not Vulcan, might have poked some subconscious, instinctual thing that he wasn't even yet fully consciously aware of. It took the Ancient Master to quickly spot what the aberration was, and name it for him.

Add to that, as Gregatron pointed toward, when your entire conscious life is geared toward ignoring the emotions you feel, both from yourself and from your environment, are you really going to pick up a faint source of emotion from amongst all that disregarded background noise? Even though more psionically gifted than Spock, it would likely have never even registered with full-Vulcans without something calling their attention to it.

I have one question, WHY !

Star Trek The Next Generation 1.13a.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back